Organizatons of gaming threads

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Organizatons of gaming threads

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:36 pm

I have gotten a request for having one than one IC thread in the future so I wanted to ask what the rest of you prefer with this.

Now I have been GMing play by posts for a while the way I prefer it and had planned to do it here was to just have one thread until it plot and then have a new thread until it was time for the next story. For me as the GM it is practical to have all of the story in one place as it where so I can scroll back and forth easily and keep track of all minor NPCs, descriptions of locations and so on, having one thread per story is practical for me but I am not married to the idea.

Another option is to have one thread per location, this means that the Chantries each have their own thread, the villa and any other location that show up, the benefit of this off course is that it allow for easy access to everything that happens at said location, but in my experience doing it that way can get somewhat jumbled after a while.

Then there is the possibility to have one thread per scene, this do work for me, though it do get a bit harder then to keep track of things, I can see how it can be easier to post in for the players, that instead of one long thread per story there are many small thread per scene, this will make it easier when the player characters are not together but are have scenes on their own with NPCs or with a few of the characters being one place and the rest another.

Then there is the option of going by page count and do what we do now but say that a new thread get made every so many pages.

I am open to all of these possibilities other than location based really, as I have tried that and it got messy really fast, so what do you guys prefer?
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

View user profile http://chantrysteelhaven.forumfreek.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Organizatons of gaming threads

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Personally, I think it might be good to have one per major chunk of the SL - but also limit it by pages. Say, cut it off at idk, ~50pgs, once you hit the end of one of the plot points and then mark the next thread with the same title, and pt 2 (3, etc). For one board I'm on, we also put up a recap synopsis at the end of the thread before we went to the next page so we knew where to look back for some of the main plot points if it's been a while. It might be useful to have a list of NPCs used on that thread at the end too.

The one upshot is that you can run some of the stuff on another thread if you want - minor plot points, bluebooking for characters (if you want to use them, for downtime IC work), or seekings, etc. And it makes it easier to keep the stories archived.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaq on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:33 pm

I would suggest threads organized chronolically, something like 'day 1 - evening - thread title'. And make a new one depending on how the story progresses.

This would also allow the players to have their own threads to interact with each other and whatnot.
Jaq
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:06 pm

Seekings would be played in their own threads as they are disconnected from the rest of the story as they only happen in the mind of the mage being tested.

I do like both the idea of having the thread in chunks but limiting it to 50 pages or so or to the end of a plot point, and Jaq's suggestion of having it based on days, the only problem with having it based on days is that characters might be just a bit out of sync on time at time, but it would still work. Making their own threads to interact with one another I am not so sure about though, I think that would be allot of threads if we then had Bruce and Jon talk evening and then Adley meets Wrinkle for tea morning, interactions can be done in the main thread, but for special things like Seekings, or if one of the character have a completely different thing they are doing than the rest then a separate thread might be in order, let us say one character is investigating signs of Technocrats around a local bookstore and the others are trying to steal a Garou pack's node, then two threads for those two separate storylines would be in order, until the characters meet up again. Or at least that is my opinion.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaq on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:21 pm

It's true that there would be lots of threads for different days/people interacting, but would this be a problem? There is a button on the forums that keeps track of the threads you are participating, so the players wouldn't have to worry about that.

Imo the big advantage of allowing side threads for social stuff is that players would focus entirely on the plot, and the characters will feel more 'connected'. It has worked pretty well, at least to my experience.
Jaq
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:37 pm

It sort of would be a problem as I have to sew it all together and keep track of where all the NPCs are, including the ones who have not yet been introduced to the game, and then having a easy way to scroll back and find a piece of information about what have already happened makes it easier for me, if there are a myriad of different threads that makes it harder to organize the story, like I said when I spoke about having different threads for each location for example, as then I might have to go through 10 different small threads to find the right one.

I do not want players to focus just on the plot and then have the social stuff on the side, for me the social stuff is just as important as driving the plot forward, or let me put it this way, the plot might put your character face of face with a Hit-Mark and inch away from death, but social interactions is what have brought that character to life and make me care if she do survive the situation or not. If all social situations and scenes of characters talking was taken out of the main thread I think it would be very barren, for to me the social interactions are the plot, they are just as much a part of the plot as the mystery solving, combat and political maneuvering is, at least that is how it is to me.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:27 pm

I'm not advocating removing all the social impacts within the plot/thread - that's still plot to me. But more if things split up for some length of time, then it might make sense. So if the team had to do a few things at one time and divvied up then meet back up they could do so for example. I don't really care for having them split into locations though. That might get complicated.

Also, I really -really- hope Adley never has to meet Wrinkle, for tea or any other reason lol!
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:15 am

I agree if the team get divided, for example when The Tim get back unless the Cabal is back by then I will team him up with Jaq's character and do that in a thread of it's own or if Bruca go off the the Verditius he just met then that might also be a thread of it's own.

Wrinkle is just a harmless old man. Razz

Hum that remind me we are over 500 posts in and no one have gotten any Paradox, that have to be a record. Razz
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top