The trouble with corrupted Nodes, Hedge Wizards and Cranky Judges IC thread 2

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The trouble with corrupted Nodes, Hedge Wizards and Cranky Judges IC thread 2

Post by s7trif3 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:05 pm

"I am Quaesitor Oedipus Paulus Mederis Hermes bani Guernicus filius Sarelia Aritsa of Horizon Chantry Master of the Art, Lieutenant of the Security Council."Oedipus said and gave a small nod in greeting, when the guardian spirit was done weaving the portal into the Chantry though he said. "If you will excuse me Mr Roth Hicks, I have just gone through the Umbra from Horizon to meet with an...acquaintance, and I am eager to see why she have summoned me so urgently."

"I see; good day to you as well, sir." That confirmed several suspicions. Still, the man did not seem pleased to be there. Not that meant anything one way or the other, he supposed. He waited until the man had gone before addressing Uragi in Enochian. "Greetings to you," he returned. It struck him that he was not sure where exactly to find the Flambeau Deacon in the huge Chantry. He'd been to wound up to have thought of that important detail. "Do you know where Deacon Alphonse Leopold Dupré Hermes currently is?"
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The trouble with corrupted Nodes, Hedge Wizards and Cranky Judges IC thread 2

Post by Warpmind on Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:28 pm

Colin looked a bit... bashful, perhaps, thinking back.
"Actually, if I could borrow a sheet of paper, I could show you the variant I developed."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:14 pm

The spirit answered in it's chopped, primitive Enochian.
"Deacon Alphonse Leopold Dupré have not...passed Uragi's gate in two days."
The spirit reply as if that explained everything, Adley do however seen a young girl, fifteen or so perhaps, she was pretty with long blond hair and large sky blue eyes that sat in one of the staircases leading from the entrance hall and up into the main part of the Chantry. The girl had to be an apprentice and she looked like she had been sitting there a while waiting, you see the judge who had entered before you speak with the girl, she had apparently asked him a question and he took the time to point towards the portal before he headed up the stairs, seaming to know where he was going. The young apprentice curtsy to the judge but he paid her no more heed, then she walked towards Adley and wait until he was done speaking with the guardian Umbrood before she curtsy again and say.
"Are you Mr Roth Hicks Sir? I am Gwen James, I am Master Dupré's apprentice, he have sent me here to wait for you to show you the way to his office."
The girl said and looked politely down before a senior mage. At Steelhaven apprentices did not behave in such a subservient manner, they showed respect for elder mages yes, but they did not act like servant, Lux Itineris however was far more formal.

Beatrice looked at Colin, noting the look on his face she hoped she had not made him uncomfortable. The young Verbena found another notebook and a pen and pushed it over the table towards him.
"Here...I am sorry, I am to nosy. Magick have always fascinated me, I mean you have done other things, you have your workshop and...had a life before your Awakening, I Awakened when I was twelve, and Amadeus took me out of school at that point, I am not like Rosa who still have a mundane life as well, being a mage is well all I have ever known so for me magick is my life, I get to enthusiastic when I encounter something new, I did not mean to pry."
Beatrice said and looked down with a uncertain, apologetic look on her face.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

View user profile http://chantrysteelhaven.forumfreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:54 pm

Ok then. I'll meet you there in... ¿Four Hours? What about that?
Tane Karyak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:40 am

The spirit answered in it's chopped, primitive Enochian. "Deacon Alphonse Leopold Dupré have not...passed Uragi's gate in two days."

He supposed he should have expected that as the answer; the Umbrood was bound to its duties after all. But it had been worth the try. "Thank you, Uragi." When he turned around though, he noticed the young woman on the stairs. First she curtsied to the Guernicus and he thought she had been sent for him but he ignored her and approached him, introducing herself and her purpose. He nodded to her. "Yes, I am Adley Roth Hicks, bani Flambeau. Please do lead the way to the Deacon's office, Ms. James." He wondered how long she had been waiting.

//Have fun Warp!
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:15 am

Colin chuckled, "No, no, you're not too nosy, I just remembered why I called it Clearing the Ways... It rather feels like a good sneeze, shaking out the cobwebs and clearing the sinuses. I'm sure you know the feeling."
He quickly, neatly drew up two identical squares, centered on the same spot, at a 45 degree angle to one another, circled them, and drew a little circle at each corner.
"Let's see now, how was it... Air at the top, Water to the right, Earth at the bottom, and Fire to the left, um... it's been a while since I actually did this, let me just... hmmm..."
Colin scratched his head as he drew in some classical alchemical symbols for the elements.
"Ah, of course, the Mind goes between Air and Water, the Body is between Water and Earth, the Soul between Earth and Fire, and the Heart between Fire and Air. There's a reasoning behind it, of course, if you need me to explain that?"
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:24 am

Colin:

Beatrice watched what Colin was doing, smiling as he made his joke.
"Well, I think it is a pretty good name Colin and at times one need a good name."
The girl said and grinned.
"Hum...I have my suspicions why you have placed the symbolic meanings where you have, but, I can not be sure, I would love an explanation."
The young Verbena said as her eyes followed what the Orphan was drawing.

Adley:

The young apprentice nods she turned and made a gesture with her hand for Adley to follow her.
"Please this way Mr Roth Hicks."
The girl said as she begun leading the way through the labyrinthine Chantry.
"And you may call me Gwen Sir, if it pleases you, I am only an apprentice."

The journey through the Chantry did not take long, Gwen soon stopped before a large, wooden door and knocked on it before she opened it and looked down as she gestured Adley inside. The room beyond the door was a grand office, it was about as far from Jeffry Morgan's humble little linen closet as you could get, the floor was polished marble and there where shelves of books, a large, carved fireplace with gargoyles and vines, paintings of various triumphs of House Flambeau hung on the walls, including one where a man with flowing dark hair, his hands in the symbols for Creo and Ignem, executed a group of Diedne by burning them alive with his magick. Expensive rugs dotted the floors and before a pair of impressive domed windows that showed the forested landscape beyond the Chantry sat a large desk in black marble. Before the desk where two, elegantly carved wooden chairs with silk stuffing. Deacon Alphonse Leopold Dupré sat behind his desk, he gave Adley a warm smile and gesticulated towards one of the chairs before the desk.
"Ah Mr Adley Roth Hicks, you come to conclude our agreement I presume, please sit."
The old Hermetic said, he ignored his apprentice for now and she merely closed the door behind Adley after giving her mentor a curtsy.

Tane:

Beatrice nodded, four hours, yes that would be enough time to finish the wards, would it not?
"Yes four hours, that is fine Mr Karyak. Give me a call if you do not find my apartment."
The young Verbena said.
"Good day to you."
Beatrice was most eager to continue her magickal work.

(OOC: This phone conversation happen a few hours before Beatrice and Colin's chat in her apartment.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:49 am

Adley gave a faint smile to Gwen. "If you wish me to call you Gwen, then I shall." He followed her along the corridors, trying to pay closer attention than he had last time to points of interest that he could use to navigate if he had to find his own way. He was sure there were innumerable clues buried in the thick motives, paintings, into the geometry itself. As he arrived at the door, he gave a nod to the apprentice and walked inside. The trappings of the room were less immediate than the person inside, but the impression was again of power, luxury, and history intermingled. A beautiful trap and an illusion of sorts if one wasn't careful. He found himself thinking in contrast to his mentor's office, to his own Chantry, to his own room. He'd never felt a need to collect a great many -things- unless they were tools, books, or weapons. Practical things to increase his knowledge and perform his duties rather than creature comforts, not that he didn't enjoy comfort of course. His eyes caught the images of the Diedne in the painting and then looked back towards Alphonse.

He seated himself before the Deacon on the other side of the desk and withdrew the box with the tass and the documents on the Nephandi woman. "Thank you, Deacon. Yes, I have the agreed upon tass and information we have from our own investigation of the Nephandi woman." He presented them both, placing them on the desk between them.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:42 am

There where a pattern to the tapestries, paintings and colorful rugs that did seam to give clues as to how to navigate the Chantry, it all seamed to be one big riddle. Adley should be able to navigate by landmarks off course, pass the large painting of Tytalus, down the hallway with the green and blue carpet, take left by the bust of Trionoma...and so on, but there did seam to be a pattern to the decorations as well which might give a clue about how to find ones way in the Chantry in general.

Gwen smiles when you say you will call her Gwen, she do not say much though, she just lead the way, it was not her place to open a conversation with a magus, she is pretty much nothing like Rosa at Steelhaven who while she respected her mentor and the older mages at the Chantry but who would chat and talk with everyone and act like everyone's equal.

Alphonse took the envelope and transferred the tass to a silk pouch, he did not check it for amount, to do so would be rude and the old war mage was nothing if not polite.
"Thank you Mr Roth Hicks."
Alphonse said as he put the items the younger mage had given him into a desk drawer.
"Please tell your superiors that it have been a pleasure doing business with Steelhaven as always."
The old willworker said as he leaned back in his luxurious seat.
"Aurora will contact you about the books her students get to choose to copy and Vittoria will contact you about the books we will copy in general."
Alphonse said and smiles, he knew Steelhaven could not refuse and now the Quaesitor would have to be granted leave to enter Steelhaven, whatever that had been the plan from the start or if the judge had made that deal with Alphonse after the Cabal had left and she had made her threats.
"Now as for the Nephandi, we will off course continue to share information about that issue, I will not lie and say our Chantry do not care about the prestige of taking down a Nephandi infestation, but getting rid of them is far more important than matters of status and prestige."
The old war mage said and seamed to be completely sincere about that.
"Would perhaps your mentor be open to a joint operation in that regard, hunting down the Nephandi I mean?"
The old Hermetic suggested as he regarded Adley with his one good, steel gray eye.

(Can i have a roll of intelligence plus Enigmas difficulty 8 to make sense of the clues and systems of decorations found in the hallways.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:00 am

As Alphonse told him that the judge was being sent into their Chantry, he automatically began to mentally review what he'd signed to see where the leeway had come from for her to sneak through. No doubt it was a case of 'royal we', or in this case, 'royal our'. The second hook came after the first. At least this time he was fully prepared for something of this nature this time though not in specifics.

"When I signed the documents, I agreed to the following conditions under the word of my mentor: 'Three books to copy of your choosing, two for the second degrees and nine drams of tass.'" It was a tiny word but it was what he had signed. At the least, signified that Adley had been paying attention to what he was doing and also that he would have expected one of the man's apprentices or a member of House Bonisagus, not a Guernicus to be interested in the chore of retrieving books. There might not be a way to keep her out of it anyway, but the more the woman pushed herself into the situation, the more she showed her hand.

He forged onwards with equal caution but firmness, remembering that his mentor wanted to capture the Nephandus alive and question her. "As to the second matter, we are conducting our own investigation so that she may be captured for questioning. We will of course keep our allies apprised of all new developments, as no doubt you will as well." If he pushed at it, he would have to take the offer back at any rate, as he had no power of decision at the moment.

He was going to have to ask the Primus to put wings on their testimonies when he saw him back at the Chantry. They could not wait. If they were in place, a 'causal' visit from the judge would be seen in even poorer a light.

//Int+Enigmas: 8,5,6,3,5 (1 succ)

Last edited by s7trif3 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add roll!)
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:59 am

Alphonse nodded as he looked at Adley, no doubt he was used to making people squirm under his gray gaze.
"Yes that is indeed what you signed, a most fortuitousness agreement for all parties do you not agree Mr Roth Hicks the old mage said in a pleasant tone of voice as the younger member of his House commented on the agreement.
"Was there anything in our agreement that was unclear?"

The old Hermetic smiles when the conversation go to the Nephandus.
"Off course, it seams we are having a bit of a competition then, which Chantry can capture this Nephandi woman first, would you care to place a little vaguer on that matter Mr Roth Hicks, just a small bet to make things interesting."
Alphonse grinned.
"What about you bring this suggestion to your mentor, if the loosing Chantry give the winner five drams of tass, and yes since this is just a friendly contest we will off course continue to share information until the situation is resolved."

There was off course more on the line with this than five drams of tass, such a bet would mean allot for the status of the Chantries involved, and since Lux Itineris had more resources than Steelhaven they stood a better chance at winning, refusing the bet would make Steelhaven look weak, but accepting it put them into position to be humiliated which would weaken their standing. Alphonse was always polite, pleasant even but it seamed that every word he spoke was measured to advance the standing and agendas of him and his own allies.

(OOC: If Adley did not say the things about the contract out loud then just disregard the first paragraph of this post, I was not sure if he thought it or spoke it so I made a reply if he spoke it, but if he did not then just ignore that.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:53 am

Adley looked back at him; the man was pleasantly intimidating, a contradiction like a lead hand in a velvet glove. He felt his heels digging in again under that unrelenting grey eye. Even if he wasn't on his home turf he had a reason to be there and a duty to attend to. Still, the advancement was becoming clear. Like a sole hoplite without a phalanx, Adley had to be cautious what he did with his only defense or he'd throw it away and have less than he started. The other hand of it was he couldn't appear to be continually retreating either.

"I would have expected to see one of your apprentices attend to such a duty." Not one of the Questori, a fully fledged member of the Order. It was brash and another scare tactic. He could not see it any other way, not at the moment. It was a way to watch Beatrice, to maneuver.

Then the Flambeau took a different tack with the Nephandus hunt and Adley felt again that push against them. With allies like these...his mentor had urged caution and did not trust them. Either they would be a worthy opponent or they would be crushed and then kicked while they were down, to boot. Dare to do or take a safer route when they were being attacked on another front.

"I will take this...suggestion back to my mentor. Though I things are quite interesting enough. As you said, getting rid of the Nephandi is far more important than matters of status and prestige." They had a personal stake in it though having been the ones to take the hit. Even without the bet, if Lux Iternis got the offending Nephandi, somehow that would be used and riddled for any loophole. "Please forgive me, but I do have an evening class to attend to and I cannot be late." It had the benefit of being true.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:39 am

Colin nodded.
"Of course, just to make sure we're on the same page, proverbially and literally in this case... The classical elements are, well, the classical elements, that's simple enough. The Mind is between Air and Water, because it is unrestrained and fleeting, and it moves forward at all times, and though its path can be derailed and slowed, it can never be truly stopped. The Body between Water and Earth, because, well, chemically speaking, we're composed of a mineral-rich clay or mud, really; at the intersection between solid and liquid. The Soul is between Earth and Fire; it is the solid core, and the immovable, unstoppable force driving us. And the Heart, of course, is between Fire and Air; full of passion and prone to flutter like a breeze or strike down with the force of a typhoon."
As he indicated each circle in turn, he doodled down what looked like a pair of stylized ravens, a stick-figure man, a fairly passable drawing of the sun, and a heart.
"Then, placing both hands on the edge of the circle, I visualize a littered passageway of sorts, and a great gust of force blasting the refuse away, breathing in..."
He laid both hands on the drawn circle, breathing in deeply, "Scoria Expurgate," and breathed out again, trying to create a little pocket reality from which to cast the spell inside the circle, letting the energy flow through him, and expel the built-up residue of magic back into the pocket reality before it collapsed on its own.
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaq on Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:16 pm

Anja Rebekka Schultze wrote:

Rosa grins when Bianca said she could fight attackers of and where not defenseless.
"And I could tell them exactly on the second what time it was...and how long they had used finding us under there."
The young mage grins.
"I Awakened last month, I really can not do jack shit yet, other than well...knowing what time it is...very, very accurately."
Rosa mutters then she add.
"But give me a few years and I might be able to give them a nasty bit of a surprise myself."
Rosa's smile fades when Bianca ask if the Technocracy can find them.
"Yes...they can find us."
The Newly Awakened Cultist said then she paused as a short, Asian woman came to their table and placed two bowls of sweet smelling stew and two large bowls of rice, and a large glass of soda before the two magic users.
"I hope you will enjoy it."
The woman said before she left to serve another table. Rosa thanked the woman before she left and then she took up her fork to eat, she preferred a fork to chopsticks, though the latter was provided as well, the food did not seam as tempting as it had before Bianca's question though and the young mage sigh.
"They hunt us Bianca."
Rosa said when she was sure they again where alone and out of earshot.
"Every time one of us step out of a Chantry alone, we are a target, and sometimes one of us get hunted down, they say that a few years ago, an apprentice like me from our Chantry was gunned down on the street like a dog by the Technocracy, he died. Being careful with where we say what and not to have our magick seen makes us safer, but there is always the chance that they will come for us no matter where we are, we are never completely safe, and in a way, neither are they for many from the Traditions also hunt them, my mentor say that even if things appear normal and we are not wearing armor or crawling around in the bushes, we must never forget that every one of us are soldiers in a war, no matter if we like it or not."
Rosa sigh and give Bianca an apologetic smile.
"Sorry, I did not mean to get that gloomy, perhaps my mentors attitude is rubbing off on me, he is Mr Serious all the time..."

Rosa nods to what Bianca say about natural drugs.
"Yeah people have been doing it for as long as there have been people."
The young mage said then she smiles to the reason Bianca gave to why she was leaving her home and coming to Boston.
"That seams like a good reason, I am sure the time will come also when I have to leave my mentor and learn to make it on my own in this world."
Rosa said as she ate a bit of stew and rice.

Bianca blinks a couple of times and giggles. "Oh, trust me, that is a loooot more than what I could do in my first month learning, which was absolutely nothing. I got sick a lot from failed experiments too. Knowing time so accurately sounds pretty awesome to me. It's kinda scary to imagine what sorts of stuff you'll be able to do when you get more experienced." she says with a playful grin.

As Rosa's smile fades, so does Bianca's, wondering whether she offended somehow. As the girl begins to talk though it becomes clear it has nothing to do with it. She listens in silence to her, nodding every now and then. Clearly things can't be that bad, otherwise her mentor would have been a lot more strict about it. But then again, only the goddess herself knows what goes through his mind, so who knows. As Rosa is done speaking, she takes her friend's hand and squeezes again reassuringly, something she's becoming very fond of. "Hey, it's alright, dear. No one will come after us, ok? We are just two girls eating at some thai restaurant. Nothing weird about, right? If I knew you were so uneasy about going out, I'd have refused coming over here with you. Sorry about that." she says with a kind smile and begins eating in silence.
Jaq
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Adley:

"I would have expected to see one of your apprentices attend to such a duty." Not one of the Questori, a fully fledged member of the Order. It was brash and another scare tactic. He could not see it any other way, not at the moment. It was a way to watch Beatrice, to maneuver.

Alphonse nodded and gave a friendly grin, though that gray eye never left the younger mage, he watched him like a hawk would watch a mouse...or no, that was not correct, there was a sliver of respect in that gaze as well, it was more like a hawk eying a snake, the reptile oh such a tempting morsel, but that lunch came with the promise of fangs.
"I am as surprised as you are Mr Roth Hicks, but perhaps dear Vittoria wishes for the calm meditation of the manual labor involved in copying a text, or perhaps she wish to simply be involved in selecting the volumes, I did not ask why she made such an unusual request, but such and esteemed Master of the Art as her, I could hardly deny such a simple wish."
Alphonse said sweetly, off course he knew the judge had political reasons for her request, but his face betrayed no such knowledge.

"I will take this...suggestion back to my mentor. Though I things are quite interesting enough. As you said, getting rid of the Nephandi is far more important than matters of status and prestige."

Alphonse made a light hearted gesture and smiles.
"Off course off course, as you say young man, the most important thing is to capture this Nephandi woman and put her to the question, but I find that a bit of added challenge never hurt, perhaps it is just me, one of my own Mentor's other fili changed House to Tytalus, perhaps there is a hint of that esteemed House in me as well, though I have never known old Jeffry to back down from a challenge either."
The old war mage said, sounding jovial, it sounded like he was suggesting just a bit of fun in a difficult situation, but this was deadly business, the hawk would find a way to taste the serpent's flesh yet.

"Please forgive me, but I do have an evening class to attend to and I cannot be late." It had the benefit of being true.

The Deacon nodded he rose and offered Adley his good hand in a firm handshake.
"Ah such a diligent young mage, your Mentor have trained you well, if you choose your path well Mr Roth Hicks you will reach far, who knows perhaps you will be a Deacon at your own Chantry one day, well I will keep you no further, give my regards to Jeffry as always, I do hope I will see him at the competition next month, his rotes are always...impressive."
Alphonse said as he walked around his desk to see Adley to the door of his office. Each year House Flambeau built a Umbra Realm and then then had a competition to determine who could make the most destructive spell, generally ripping the new realm to shreds in the process, the competition off course had the purpose of keeping the war mages sharp and there was great prestige to the winner of the contest, however in reality it was more a chance for the Flambeau to let loose and really have fun with their magick without worrying about Paradox or collateral damage, Jeffry usually attended, and while he had never won, he did usually get praised for his rotes, the competition was a way to built camaraderie within the House and all Flambeau was welcome though off course who actually showed up varied from year to year.
"Well do take care Mr Roth Hicks."
Alphonse said when they reached the door.
"My apprentice will take you back to the entrance hall."

Colin:

"Of course, just to make sure we're on the same page, proverbially and literally in this case... The classical elements are, well, the classical elements, that's simple enough. The Mind is between Air and Water, because it is unrestrained and fleeting, and it moves forward at all times, and though its path can be derailed and slowed, it can never be truly stopped. The Body between Water and Earth, because, well, chemically speaking, we're composed of a mineral-rich clay or mud, really; at the intersection between solid and liquid. The Soul is between Earth and Fire; it is the solid core, and the immovable, unstoppable force driving us. And the Heart, of course, is between Fire and Air; full of passion and prone to flutter like a breeze or strike down with the force of a typhoon."

Beatrice nodded as she listened intently to what the Orphan was saying.
"Yes, the two first ones follow classical thought precisely, where you place soul and heart though is interesting and is opposite of what you normally find, where soul is generally placed next to air since ancient cultures had the Paradigm that air and spirit are the same thing, since both are unseen. I like your views on it though. Now of course I am not an elementalist, but many Verbena place allot of importance on the classical elements so I do know a little bit about it."
The young Verbena said and she smiles, this conversation was enjoyable and she ate the rest of her sandwich as she spoke, finally she was able to forget about the judge and her plight and just enjoy discussing magick with another mage, without really thinking about it she reached out for another sandwich and started eating it while she listened to what else Coliin had to say.

"Then, placing both hands on the edge of the circle, I visualize a littered passageway of sorts, and a great gust of force blasting the refuse away, breathing in..."
He laid both hands on the drawn circle, breathing in deeply, "Scoria Expurgate," and breathed out again, trying to create a little pocket reality from which to cast the spell inside the circle, letting the energy flow through him, and expel the built-up residue of magic back into the pocket reality before it collapsed on its own.

Beatrice watched Colin in silence as he demonstrated his rote and she nodded when he was done.
"It is similar in a way to what I do to protect myself each morning, though that ritual is simpler, but I to see a great force in my inner eye flowing into me, though instead of breathing with it, I prick each palm with a needle and envision that gust as you call it flow into me though those pinpricks, I see every vein in my body and see this golden, glowing force or energy fill each vein, until my blood feel charged and glowing, protecting me and my internal energy from all harm."
The young blood witch explained.

Bianca:

Bianca blinks a couple of times and giggles. "Oh, trust me, that is a loooot more than what I could do in my first month learning, which was absolutely nothing. I got sick a lot from failed experiments too. Knowing time so accurately sounds pretty awesome to me. It's kinda scary to imagine what sorts of stuff you'll be able to do when you get more experienced." she says with a playful grin.

Rose nods she takes a few bites of he food.
"Truth to be told it kind of scare me as well, I have not seen it but I hear that the Masters can level a mountain if they want, go back in time, wake the dead, all sort of crazy things, I mean a Master of the Art, or even an Adept, that is a walking, talking weapon of mass destruction, I wonder if I will be responsible enough to handle that when I get that far, I mean magick sounds fun and all, and I am glad I Awakened, it is a gift, but I was sort of overwhelmed with the responsibility of getting my drivers license, becoming a mage is sort of terrifying."
The young woman said.
"But it is wondrous as well, you must feel a bit of the same right?"
Rosa said as she sipped her drink.
"Or is it just me being silly and everyone else are sure they can handle the power that will eventually be theirs?"

"Hey, it's alright, dear. No one will come after us, ok? We are just two girls eating at some thai restaurant. Nothing weird about, right? If I knew you were so uneasy about going out, I'd have refused coming over here with you. Sorry about that." she says with a kind smile and begins eating in silence

Rosa smiles and squeeze the Hedge Wizard's hand back.
"I am not really uneasy about it, yeah sure it is terrifying to suddenly be a part of a centuries old war, do not get me wrong that is scary as shit, but I will not live my life afraid of bogymen behind every bush, I will live my life the Technocracy be damned, I mean I am careful, we should all be careful, but I will rather live, go out with friends and have fun, eat at Thai restaurants and have fun, and if they get me they get me and I am dead having lived, than to live until I am a hundred...or apparently more, and die never having experienced anything. I just meant we have to be vigilant and hopefully if the Union one day get us, give them hell before we go down."
The newly Awakened mage say and grin.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:27 pm

Colin thoughtfully stroked his chin.
"Yes, I suppose I may have transposed the Heart and the Soul... In fact, I suppose it makes more sense with the Heart and Mind in opposition, and the Body and Soul in opposition..."
An unusually jolly gleam shone in his eyes, "My word, I get to refine this old thing."
He quickly picked a new sheet of paper and redid the octagram, with the new adjustments, and rested both hands on the edge of the circle, recasting the rote and, for a brief moment, almost sparking with static electricity as he sneezed loudly on the exhale.
"Oh... I'd say it works better than ever. Most invigorating. A stubborn, passionate Heart and a fiery, intangible Soul. It fits better, MUCH better."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:24 pm

Beatrice was silent as the Orphan recast his rote she smiles.
"I am glad, sometimes a new perspective on things can really help, that is why I like to read about things from Paradigms other than my own as well, just because I sometimes get new ideas, even if I hardly understand the concepts behind them."
The young Verbena said.
"If that do not sound to silly."
The blood witch said as she leaned back in her chair.
"I wish I could work them all, Paradigms I mean, what I could not learn if I understood them all, but no matter how much I try,methods outside of my own system they...just do not work for me unless I find a way to fit them in, I mean it is odd, I understand with my mind how it is done, but not with my heart and soul if that makes any sense."
Beatrice smiles she was enjoying this conversation very much.
"Oh and I like your ritual Colin, it is beautiful, but if I where to do it I would probably carve the symbols into my flesh at the body parts associated with the various elements and bodily symbols...hum...I have to try that when I am more rested...unless you mind that is, it is your rote."
Beatrice said, there was a twinkle in her eyes, discussing magick she was in her element.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:57 pm

"I am as surprised as you are Mr Roth Hicks, but perhaps dear Vittoria wishes for the calm meditation of the manual labor involved in copying a text, or perhaps she wish to simply be involved in selecting the volumes, I did not ask why she made such an unusual request, but such and esteemed Master of the Art as her, I could hardly deny such a simple wish."

Oh, but he -could- deny such a wish and they both knew it. Dear Vittoria's calm meditation was anything but a simple wish for knowledge, at least the type that could be gained from a book. "I see," Adley said, doing his best not to give in to the urge to break eye contact. What could he say that would not dance on the edge of offense? A few incautious words lept to the front of his tongue where he bit them off, unspoken.

"Off course off course, as you say young man, the most important thing is to capture this Nephandi woman and put her to the question, but I find that a bit of added challenge never hurt, perhaps it is just me, one of my own Mentor's other fili changed House to Tytalus, perhaps there is a hint of that esteemed House in me as well, though I have never known old Jeffry to back down from a challenge either."

His mentor had said Alphonse was an honourable man; if it were just the bet then he could see that yet there was more going on here than a thrown glove in challenge. He was being dared to pick it up, or if not him, his mentor but at what cost? Oh, this was a distracting business indeed...added danger is not what they needed at this juncture and Alphonese knew it. He may as well have said that he expected the Chief to  accept and any less would be disappointing. On the other hand, Adley would rather make his mentor proud, his Chantry safe, than pick up a challenge that would outstrip them all.

"Perhaps, sir. Time will tell," Adley said in as mild tone as he could manage. Yes, perhaps it was just you. But there was a sense of embarrassment on behalf of the man that there had been bait proffered at all. Though he had resisted it for now, he felt protective of his mentor and Chantry. Not that the Chief could not take on a challenge of this sort, he could. But the feeling persisted, like a tolling warning bell filling his senses. He could not force a smile to his face in return, his body was tense as if waiting for a strike.

When the other man stood and reached across the table, Adley returned his handshake, trying to accept the unsettling way the man seemed to simply exist in this perpetual state of challenging energy. Everything was a test. Maybe he was more like his brother, but the heart of fire, the internal light was not something that joined them all. If he were to say so, it seemed he was spoiling for a fight.

"Ah such a diligent young mage, your Mentor have trained you well, if you choose your path well Mr Roth Hicks you will reach far, who knows perhaps you will be a Deacon at your own Chantry one day, well I will keep you no further, give my regards to Jeffry as always, I do hope I will see him at the competition next month, his rotes are always...impressive."

"I will give my regards; good evening Deacon." He looked at him as if he were examining every word for a hidden meaning, an insult or what was -not- said in the man's flattery. He made no comment upon it. His mentor had yet to win one of the competitions but he had heard that at least his rotes were creative, which was an important skill in battle. One thing was sure, however...Adley was entirely sure that the 'right path' that Alphonse spoke of was not the same path that he was putting his feet upon. There was risk on his path but greater reward that was more than becoming a Deacon...at least in his own estimation, it was a dare that he found an acceptable risk.

When he was granted leave, he opened the doors and exited, looking for Gwen. It felt like he could breathe slightly easier  once outside the chamber but only just barely. There was a faint sheen of sweat on his face and he could feel his heart beating in his chest, his entire body felt warm and ready for a battle.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:03 pm

Colin chuckled, sniffling a little. "Oh, go ahead and try to make your own interpretation of it. It's hardly as though I copyrighted it. Though, I suppose from your point of view, it might work better by visualizing blood vessels with plaque and calcification rather than a littered passageway. Um... Oh, my. By all means, keep the diagram - I'm sure it can be used again, in any case, just as easily as it can be redrawn."
He scratched the side of his nose thoughtfully.
"Hm, so when did you say you expected this Dreamspeaker?"
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:30 pm

Gwen stood outside the room and waited, reading, she quickly put the book away as Adley exited the office of her mentor, the young mage gave a quick curtsy and then looked down.
"Do you wish me to lead you back to the entrance hall Sir."
Gwen said, he voice soft, but as servile as she behaved there was fire in her eyes, this woman was not weak, no her polite, subservient manner was the price she payed for instruction and she paid it willingly for the power her mentor helped her develop. Jeffry however had never demeaned this kind of docile servitude of Adley, he demanded respect and a polite, controlled behavior, but other than that he supported independence and a inquisitive mind in his apprentice, yes when Jeffry Morgan spoke he expected those around him to jump, but not in this way, Adley had always been his son and student and never his servant.
"I will be your guide for as long as you visit our Chantry Sir."
Gwen added to make it clear she would take Adley wherever he wanted to go.

Beatrice looked at Colin and made some quick notes on a new page in her note book before she started copying down the Orphan's ritual with notes of how to adjust it to her own Paradigm.
"Thank you Colin, and you are right...blood vessels and calcification...yes I can work with that."
The young Verbena said then she smiles.
"Thank you for letting me keep the diagram, but I can not use it, I only need to copy down the symbols, paper do little for me, it have to be drawn into my own skin."
The young blood witch said then she checked the watch on her phone.
"He should be here soon, he said four hours and it have been...oh three hours and forty five minutes from his call."
Beatrice said, clocking back on her calls log to check the time when Tane had contacted her.
"So soonish I would say."
The young woman said, she looked a bit worried again, what would the Dreamspeaker say about her, and what about the art on her walls? Inviting him to her apartment might not have been such a great idea. Beatrice looked up at her morbid paintings and sigh.
"I am sure he will feel right at home here."
She muttered with a sigh.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:53 pm

Colin looked around.
"Well, if he is some sort of shaman, I'm sure this will feel more comfortable than my apartment, where it is generally tidied up to military precision. Besides, there is no accounting for taste, so who can say?"
He poured himself another cup of tea and sipped it carefully.
"Well, fifteen minutes isn't much of a wait. Is there anything else you'd like to address in the meantime?"
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:09 pm

Beatrice nodded she looked at her art.
"I do not know, a shaman might recognize what these drawings are, that the art is not mine, yes my hands painted them yes, but the artist is my Avatar, he made these pictures, they are his refuge, I resist his urges and he never push to hard for he know that every so often I open a vein, and I paint, I paint all that he desires. No my art is that portrait of my mentor over there."
The young Verbena pointed at the oil painting of Amadeus hanging amongst the horrid imagery.
"Or that one of Horizon."
Bee said and pointed to a colorful landscape with a beautiful if alien looking city in the center under two golden suns.
"The rest that is her, that is him, it is the only way he talks to me, I feel him, but he never speak."
The young blood witch said then she gave a bit of a worried smile.
"A shaman might see these pictures for what they are, the expressions of a...yeah what are Avatars? A spirit? A energy? I think he might prefer a ordered apartment to the expressions of a Fallen soul."
Beatrice said.

For some time the blood witch was silent then as Colin asked if there was another matter she wanted to address she nodded.
"Yes, there is one thing...there is a text I would like to read, we have it in the library but..my mentor have forbidden me from reading it due to some drawings in it that he first deemed unfit for the eyes of a young mage, and then after my trial he assumed the drawings would upset me, but..."
Beatrice sigh, the good mood she had been in while discussing magick vanished and she looked drained again, fearful.
"I am not a fool Colin I know how bleak my future look, these might be my final days, I hope they are not and I have faith that my mentor, and you and Adley and the rest of the Cabal and even Chief Morgan will do all you can, I have a chance, but my odds...well they are not stellar now are they. Here is the thing though, I do not want to huddle in a corner as a frightened child, I am Verbena, I should be strong...and bold...and defiant..."
The young blood witch said then she sigh and looked up at Colin.
"But I am not, I am terrified and it make me act a fool, I make those around me pity me, poor Beatrice and her cured fate...but I do not want to, I want to face this with dignity, I want to live to the fullest now while I am still complete, still whole, and if this go wrong and they come for me, I do not want my final act as a mage to be being dragged before the Spirit Masters screaming and soiling myself, yeah sure I would be terrified but I want to, if everything go wrong, at least be able to walk in there, bow to the Masters and spit in that Guernicus woman's eye."
Beatrice shivered a little then she swallowed and continued.
"If you have to go, you might as well go with dignity yes? Well I want to read the final words of a man that did that, the final confessions of Haylel Teomim,now he might not exactly be someone to look up to, he did commit high treason and got most of Cabal killed, I can not forgive what he did...but he did utter a speech full of defiance, dignity and courage minutes before he was...well...the same that I risk."
The Verbena said and shivered.
"Could you, when you have the time, ask if you can make a copy of those pages of the Fragile Path that contain his confession and final words and well, cut out the drawings that go with them, that way I can read the text and not defy my Mentor's wishes? The book are printed on Horizon so it is not old and fragile I am sure using a copier would be fine."
Beatrice looked down.
"Perhaps if I can read the last words of another right before he was...well you know, I can find the courage in me to, stand tall whatever this truly are my final days...or just a nightmare that will eventually end."
The blood witch gave a small smile.
"Well only if it is not to much of a bother for you off course, I would go down and borrow the books but...like I said...Amadeus do not want me to see the drawings."
Beatrice said and blushed, she did not like to be a bother or burden to anyone so asking a favor was hard for her.
"I would owe you a favor off course."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Colin carefully put down his cup and looked at Beatrice for what seemed like minutes.
"Amadeus came by today. He asked, well... He wanted to make sure you were taken care of according to your wishes should the worst come to pass, and he did not have the strength. Asking me to copy those pages... it is an insightful way to comply with the letter of the law, but under the current circumstances, if someone somehow found out, they might consider the reading of such a speech... well, it might raise a specific suspicion which would be liable to cause immediate problems."
Colin thoughtfully stroked his chin.
"I... cannot promise offhand to give you a copy of the speech; I can, however, try to take a look and see if it seems, hmm, safe for you to read, as it were - naturally, without the associated imagery. Depending on the contents, I might transcribe the speech, or merely photocopy it. I shall have to see what I can do."
Colin sipped the tea again, slowly.
"Oh, I do seem to recall seeing a different book, though - I don't recall the title, but it's a collection of the last words of a number of people. Some of them - well, all of them, really, were from people who knew they were doomed and decided to go out with their head held high and their integrity intact; I might try to find you that one as a compromise. A few of those were short speeches by officers ordered to perform suicidal assaults on enemy strongholds, others were brief statements by people sentenced to death. It is really not a humorous book, though the 'famous last words' concept lends itself all to easy to a rather grim sort of comedy."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:23 pm

Beatrice nodded, the where nothing illegal in the Fragile Path, many mentors had it as required reading for their students and it provided a vital history lesson for the early days of the Traditions, the book was written by Porthos himself, but Hayel's betrayal was something that even today created anger among the nine, perhaps it would create suspicion if he choose to read his speech, but not likely, the speech was a historic document, Beatrice however did not protest however, Colin protected her, his concern was...touching.
"I can ask for nothing more my friend."
Beatrice said in a whisper. When Colin said that Amadeus had asked him to...make sure she was taken care of, if the worst came to pass a tear rolled down the young Verbena's cheek.
"Thank you, I...am sure you have lifted a weight of his shoulder, my Mentor is a hard man, he is old and bitter and he have fought in this damned war our factions insist on his whole life, but he...I am glad he will not have to do that, and I am glad it will not be a stranger."
The young Verbena looked down at her hands.
"I can not imagine wanting to die, I mean I do not fear death as much as most sleepers do for I know without a shadow of a doubt that death is not the end, I have known that since I Awakened, but I am alive, I feel life all around me, I can not imagine not wanting to be alive...but that is what they say will happen...if the worst comes to pass, they say I will want nothing but to die once it is done..."
The young Verbena look away and looked out her window, she is silent for a long time before she say.
"I...would like to read the book you spoke of Colin, those men...their words, they deserve to be read to show the men who uttered them respect...but you have to understand, what will happen to me, if...that Quaesitor get her way, it is not an execution, if what I faced where death I...would be afraid...and sad, like I said I love being alive, but I would not feel despair like this, I would mourn the friends and loved ones I would leave behind, I would morn the things I would not get to do, I would fear the transition itself, but I would know that I would be reborn, I would live again, with a new face and a new name, but it would be me. I have seen executions...two of them, of captured Technocrat prisoners, one of them went with quiet dignity, the other begged for her life, both where...afraid, but they knew that end could be the outcome of their lives, they where soldiers of the Ascension War, just like you and me. I felt compassion for those prisoners, what happened to them was horrible, but necessary, we dealt a blow to our enemy, though seeing them die I wondered how I would feel if I stood against a wall with a Technocrat aiming a gun at my head, a Primium bullet waiting in the chamber, it could happen you know, every time we step out the door of the Chantry it could happen, it happened to Adley's brother...we live with war...we live with death. I feared when that thought crossed my mind, but it also inspired me, it inspired me to live as passionately as I can, it inspired me to live in such a way that if that bullet ever go through my brain I can smile as my life ends, having no regrets...the thought of...Gilgul however, it do not inspire me, it only frighten me."
Beatrice had been looking out the window for a while then she turned her head and looked into Colin's eyes.
"Gilgul is not an execution, it is not just a removal of my powers, I would not deal well with the loss of my magick, as I said it have been my whole life since I was twelve, it would devastate me, but they are not going to make me into a sleeper again, they are going to kill my soul Colin, that is what Gilgul is, it kill the soul and I do not know how to deal with the knowledge than more likely than not, before this season comes again, a piece of my soul, the piece what have carried with it memories, hopes and dreams from countless lives, the source of my magick, the seat of all my desires and passion will have been ripped from my still living body and destroyed."
Beatrice's eyes welled over with tears and she softly sobbed.
"If someone had offered me an execution now I would kiss his feet in gratitude that death may release me from the horror that lie before me, and I would sing his praises as my final words before the axe fell."
The young Verbena's voice grew even softer, it was just a whisper now.
"And the only reason why I have not slit my writs and let that sweet escape embrace me, is that if I escaped into death, someone else would have to face what I now stand before, someone else will have to feel this fear, someone else will have to know that soon their soul might die, either that or they would be dirty and corrupt and busy destroying others, and I wish neither fate on anyone else, so...I stay my blades and await not the axeman, but the soulrender."
Beatrice closed her eyes and said nothing else, soundless sobs made her entire tiny frame shake, she looked so fragile, her mind overwhelmed by a fear greater than her young mind could handle.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:02 pm

Colin pondered the earlier meeting with Adley, and the concern about raising false hopes. Under the circumstances...
"Actually, someone did mention a... possible means of delaying the inevitable indefinitely... Have you ever heard of a device called a phylactery? It seems to be a long shot, and a dangerous proposition to begin with, but apparently it is possible to trap a willing candidate's Avatar in an outside container of some sort. There would need to be a substantial amount of research, and I believe it would be at an unpalatable degree of personal risk, but it just might be possible. As I understand it, it would allow you to use your magic almost as well as today, and you would be - hopefully - able to delay having it... destroyed until you were good and ready to yield to old age."
He pinched the bridge of his nose.
"Adley might object to my risking false hopes here, but... I'd say we are already grasping at straws; it can hardly hurt to add a few straws to the handful."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top