The Lord of the Labyrinth, Sunday ritual and stopping a Gilgul IC thread 4

Page 3 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Lord of the Labyrinth, Sunday ritual and stopping a Gilgul IC thread 4

Post by Warpmind on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 pm

((OOC: Derp! >.< ))

Colin nodded. "I understand the relationship with his House... In mundane politics and speaking as a Brit, a hundred years ago Afghanistan was our enemy. Thirty years ago, Afghanistan was an uneasy friend in the shadow of the Soviet Union. Fourteen years ago, some people did something really, really vicious, and they became an enemy again. I find that an enemy is only truly an enemy so long as they don't ask why they're your enemy. And when the only experience they have with you is having their family on the business end of a highly explosive projectile, that question won't come easy..."
He grimaced; perhaps a bit of remorse, or maybe guilt?
"Violent travesties cannot be undone or forgotten... nor should they. But one side has to be the first to forgive or start making amends. If not... the cycle will only go on."
He seemed to shrug it off, "Ugh, that turned a bit darker than I intended. Some memories rear their ugly heads unbidden, you know..."
He flicked his eyes to the door at the knock, and headed over to open up. "Yes?"
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:09 am

Adley:

Your mind fairly quickly snap back to attention, perhaps it was your training, perhaps it was adrenaline, who knew, yes once all this was done and you had time to breathe and relax and not worry if every second lost where the one that would cost a friend her Avatar, then you would probably develop the mother of all headaches but right now Jeffry's training kicked in and helped you push enough of the confusion aside to help you focus enough to function. Two things became clear to you, one was that you had to be on Earth or somewhere very Earth like, the constellations of stars where right, one moon hung in the night sky and you can hear the sounds of a city, the sirens of a ambulance in the distance...a dog barking, somewhere the sound of a car parking, familiar sounds that helped you focus, even the scent of smog was sort of welcome. Also it was night outside, you had to be somewhere near enough to Boston to at least be on the same day/night cycle so you could not be that many hours apart. Your body came into focus and you find you are unharmed, though when you begin to move there are places of resistance, soon you realize that where and there your sweater have fused with the flat surface you where laying on, it is easy enough to tea free but as you see the patches where fabric and concrete roof have become one you realize just how close you had gotten to getting fused with the building itself, Cita had not been lying when she issued her warning, had she missed by a hair more you would either be dead or worse alive but part of a roof.

Your second realization is that your experience have left you with a new understanding. The good Master Lenoe had been right in his observation of what Tobias can do, mages did not have powers, they had understanding, and this understanding and knowledge of various aspects of reality and ways to manipulate them usually came after months and years of dedicated study and reaching the point of fresh understanding was a joyous occasion, every rank of a so called Sphere you possessed a hard won victory, a point of pride...not so in this case, you felt like someone might after a serial killer had forced them to witness countless murders, and yet in all the horror and blood, a basic knowledge of human anatomy had still been attained. Your Avatar, your Awakened Will had protected you from insanity with grasping an new understanding of space, a forced, rash understanding that had been attained by sheer exposure to something that was wast beyond your ken, but an understanding non the less, not that it would not contribute to that massive headache you knew where coming...

For now you knew these simple facts, you where on a roof in a city that appeared to be on Earth and which was probably in USA, you where unhurt. Looking at your watch you find the mechanics busted though, the same with the fine electronics of your phone, they had not survived whatever place it was you had seen, you do not know how much time have passed, but you are alive, unhurt and functioning.

(OOC: Congratulations you may put Correspondence 1 on your character sheet, attained by having been forcefully subjected to the wast infinity reduced to a single point of the Correspondence point itself, with no Correspondence Sphere to understand it with, your favorable Willpower roll saved you from getting a derangement to go with it, but just barely.)

Colin:

Colin nodded. "I understand the relationship with his House... In mundane politics and speaking as a Brit, a hundred years ago Afghanistan was our enemy. Thirty years ago, Afghanistan was an uneasy friend in the shadow of the Soviet Union. Fourteen years ago, some people did something really, really vicious, and they became an enemy again. I find that an enemy is only truly an enemy so long as they don't ask why they're your enemy. And when the only experience they have with you is having their family on the business end of a highly explosive projectile, that question won't come easy..."

Amadeus was about to say something, usually anything that even hinted at being a defense of Tremere and Flambeau would have gotten him to start a tirade, the man seamed to hate House Flambeau far more than any resentment he showed towards others that had once been enemies, the Sons of Ether and the Virtual Adepts for example...this time however the old Verbena said nothing he simply held his apprentice tight, his pale eyes holding an unreadable expression as you see them reflected in the glass of your window. Beatrice however spoke.
"I am to young to remember the Hermetics as enemies, to me before I met Adley they where only sort of aloof, I had the feeling they looked down on other mages, perhaps many of them do, but looking at a group of flame wielding war mages that used to hunt my kind, they where terrifying to me, but now I would gladly put my life in Adley's hands...or yours. I guess at times the person you most assume to be a danger turn out to be the greatest friend."

He grimaced; perhaps a bit of remorse, or maybe guilt?
"Violent travesties cannot be undone or forgotten... nor should they. But one side has to be the first to forgive or start making amends. If not... the cycle will only go on."
He seemed to shrug it off, "Ugh, that turned a bit darker than I intended. Some memories rear their ugly heads unbidden, you know..."

"Oh I know Mr Wainwright. I know all to well."
Amadeus said his voice gruff.
"I hate the Order of Hermes for their betrayal, but the truth is none of the parties where guiltless in that situation, not the Tremere, not Flambeau and not Diedne, hell not even the Old Faith that could have come to our aid but who left us to our fate are blameless, rationally I know that, but I find myself unable to forgive, though perhaps some individuals of those Houses I can learn not to hate."
The old Verbena muttered.
"Once House Flambeau murdered two of my apprentices...now two members of that accursed House are fighting to save one...an odd symmetry of sort...no there can never be forgiveness, but for those two, perhaps there can be...tolerance."

He flicked his eyes to the door at the knock, and headed over to open up. "Yes?"

Outside your door stand Master Steelhaven, and he was dressed quite formally in long, flowing white robes, seeing the man in robes where not unusual, he had a tendency to look like he had stepped out of the pages of a fantasy novel, he even had the stereotypical long hair and frail looking body of your archetypal wizard, but his robes them time, in their simpleness spoke of authority, and instead of his usual earth tones he wore stark white which made him look older, the white in his hair standing out more, his skin looking more transparent. George wore a sorrowful expression on his face when he spoke.
"Mr Wainwright the Masters of Ars Spiritus are here, I will make the assumption that since Miss Alexander where not in her own chambers she is here...I am sorry but she need to make her final preparations and...then...I am here to bring her to the rite."
The old mage said, there was compassion in his eyes.
"You must get her ready Mr Wainwright."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

View user profile http://chantrysteelhaven.forumfreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 am

"Shit," he said, his voice sounding thin and far away to his own ears. "Shit!" he repeated, all of a sudden snapping to.

He tried to sit up but his coat stuck to the roof. He felt as if part of him had -almost- been left behind somewhere, like stray laundry...you always lost a sock. Only this would be a sock with a brick in it and it was going to boomerang back to give him the worst headache at some time. He was dazed with realization that he'd never wanted. That whatever he'd experienced had forced its way through the cracks into his mind, but there -no time to contemplate- it and he had not the right Words for it, but it existed in his mind. So much had happened that it almost seemed to help, something so...very nearly devastating. He grasped very hard at the thing he still needed to do. He gave himself a shake and just kept GOING. Because it was not over. He hoped. MOVE NOW.

He tried to sit up again, pulling at the wool of his coat and shirt, he felt it rip away but he didn't care about the clothing, though it was another reminder that he'd nearly died or worse.  He thought to check his watch then his phone but they were both wrecked and useless. He had no idea what time it was or where he was, but he still had the files.

"Where the fuck am I?" he muttered in Latin as he looked for a way off the roof and from the vantage point up here, a phone at a gas station, corner store, anything. Then with an air of hot impatience at being so damn close and so far at the same time. "There is not time for this!" The strange awareness of the point in space kept -being- there and didn't go away. He was on the roof -somewhere-...on the East coast. Fine. Keep going. He had to get off the roof, get to a phone, get the papers home for Beatrice...see if Cita was alright.

// that's some hard gnosis right there...holy...
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:45 am

There do seam to be a ladder, a fire escape leading from the roof and down, and there is also a door leading into the building, you appear to be on a around sever story building, perhaps an apartment or office building it is hard to be completely sure. You do not see that much from up here for there are other tall buildings nearby, but there do appear to be a liquor shop not that far from the building you are on and next to it a kiosk, there where always a chance one of those where open at this time of night, other than that there are several other, it appear to be office buildings now that you look closer at them, there is the lights of some sort of mall or shopping center some blocks away and a few other stores though they are all dark down the road, there are still no indication of what city you are on though, this block really could belong to any of them, the odd thing is that just as you know you can take the heat and electricity from the nearby street lamp and with the right words turn it into a ball of fire, or with other words peer into the Umbra and speak with any non corporeal entities around, you have a feeling the right words will tell you exactly where you are, exactly how tall this building is...exactly how many millimeter clearing your back had from becoming a part of the room, it is odd and a bit disconcerting but the knowledge is there along with your other Ars, waiting for your command like faithful friends.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:01 am

He glanced around to see if he was still alone and then headed for the ladder, trying to shunt the connection between what he now somehow knew and something he knew how to use, trying to remember if anything he'd seen before from his mentor that would work. The Kyablion hardly touched what had just happened to him. Stopping just short of the ladder, he put out his free hand over his head and drew the four direction points like a cross, circled them together and turned them in an arc like a wheel. In Latin he said, "By the consideration of One, so all things were made from this One, by conjunction. Likewise, here stand I, made from One, upon the turning world. Depart uncertainty and we Will know this place."

//9,4 - Cor 1 - where am I? If it doesn't work, he's going to go down the fire escape and head for that liquor shop, no time to waste. What time does he think it is anyway?
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:48 am

Information comes to you, it feels odd and at first you are not sure if it works, then you see Steelhaven in your mind's eye then Boston with it's skyscrapers and streets, then the suburbia that bleeds out of Boston like ripples in a pond. Another city stands there, it to large but not nearly as massive as it's neighbor, their suburbia melting together until it is hard to tell where one city ends and another begins, beautiful Victorian houses makes way for more skyscrapers, and you realize that you are in Worcester, the closest neighboring city to Boston.

Time is an issue though, it is hard to say for sure but from how dark it is and the position of the stars a bit of time have gone by during the failed teleportation attempt. The Spirit Master posse arrived at Steelhaven then the time was 11:35 you where given three hours after your talk ended at about 11:50 meaning the Beatrice's Gilgul is set to begin at 2:50 in the morning and the night sky look dangerously to be around that time to you, but then it is hard to say 15 minutes to or from unless you are an expert and you are not, there might still be time.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:53 am

At least it wasn't Connecticut. Or Maine...(or dead, stuck halfway in a roof). He hurried over to the ladder and headed down it, minding the papers he had to bring. He wasn't going to stop, not until he knew for sure it was too late and he wasn't sure, he didn't want to be sure of that. Down he went and from there to the liquor store as fast as he could go.

s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:36 am

Colin sighed and nodded to George, "Yes, she is here; I believe I left a note saying as much on her door."
He stepped aside, giving George a free line of sight into the living room. "What final preparations remain, then? Do come in, Sir, by all means."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:17 am

Adley:

You make it down the ladder a car drive past but other than that there is no one there, only the dark, empty office buildings. The liquor store, that the owner had not even bothered to give a name, the sign just informed you that you could buy liquor, cigarettes and snacks, was open. An on woman with the bluish tint to her gray hair that had long been out of fashion was perusing her shelves while a fat man in a red and blue shirt sat behind the counter watching a sports game on TV, other than that there where none here.

A wall clock in the liquor store showed a disheartening 3:01...if the time was right all depended on two things now, if Colin's plan to stall for time would work and just how long a Gilgul took. Most group rituals among...well any Tradition really but especially the Hermetics took it's time, on the other hand you had seen your mentor hack at that Paradox Spirit and that had been done in the blink of an eye...the time for the ritual to start had come and gone...but Colin was a crafty man, there might still be time...there might.

Colin:

George nodded as he walked into your apartment.
"Yes so you did Mr Wainwright, which is why I went here to look for Miss Alexander first."
The man said sadly then he looks at Beatrice then he lowered his voice.
"We need to know if she wish to...end it after the ritual and if so if it is to be done right afterwards...other than that there is nothing but whatever final goodbyes she wish to say."
The archmage said.

Beatrice how had apparently heard what the old mage said despite his hushed tones was shaking in fear now, though she still managed to say firmly.
"I want to try to live...I do not know for how long, but I want to try to become a hedge wizard...if that is even possible after..."
The young Verbena managed to say before she could not hold back her sobs any longer. George sigh and nodded.
"I do not know child if it is possible, but if it is the rest assured I will make sure you get the best teachers, I can do that much for you at least."
Beatrice nodded.
"Thank you Master Steelhaven."
She managed to say between sobs though she did not seam like she had much belief in the prospect, after a little while she muttered.
"Master Steelhaven you where a Quaesitor for many years where you not...before you became our Deacon Primus?"
The young Verbena asked and the archmage nodded.
"I was."
He confirmed. Beatrice looked down and her voice shook.
"D...did you ever...take part in..."
George took a few steps towards the young blood witch and softly asked her.
"I did yes, more than once but are you sure you want to ask these questions Miss Alexander they will only upset you more."
Beatrice glanced up at the ancient mage, despite him being a small man he still stood a head higher than her.
"I do not want details...I just want to know...how long will it take and...can I prolong it in any way to give those that are trying to help me as much time as possible, I have heard that Avatars are hardy, if they are not completely destroyed then...they will heal..."
George frowned at the Verbena's questions.
"The time it takes varies child, it depend on the skill and power of the ritualists and how strong the Avatar of the...condemned is. It can take a few minutes, or it can take forty minutes or more. You can prolong it by fighting back, your Avatar might or might not fight on it's own but you can consciously fight as well but I can not recommend that you do that Beatrice the pain of it..."
The old mage sigh.
"The best thing is if you try to relax as much as you can once the ritual begin and let it happen so it will go as quickly as possible...but if you want to fight, that must fill your mind for when it begin...the pain will drive all thought from your mind...forgive me child I am scaring you, I am simply saying if you want to be able to fight...it have to be your singular focus, but even if you do...you will not gain much time Beatrice."
George said Beatrice was terrified now she tried to pull at her restraints which only resulted in bruising he thin wrists and she wept against her mentor's chest but still she muttered between sobs.
"I will suffer anything to gain a bit more time...a bit more of a chance that there is...anything to save when they get here."
George sigh, he put a bony hand on Beatrice's head and gently stroked her short, brown hair.
"Then fight child...fight..."
He muttered softly.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:31 am

He tried to catch the street names as they flashed by and then plunged into the store, puffing with exertion. He saw the clock on the opposite wall and it was like an arrow right into his heart. Three. But he could not be sure...he had to find out for sure, keep trying until he knew. Turning to the clerk at the desk, he panted, "Please. I need to use a telephone, your cellphone, any phone! It's an emergency!" He took a twenty out of his wallet and put it on the counter. "Now, please!"
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:33 am

Colin pondered for a moment, then fetched a pair of plant scissors from a drawer, carefully clipping off the healthiest rose from his bush; a mostly pink flower with a hint of peach colour. "This, Beatrice, is the Helen Cushing rose. It was a gift from my aunt in Kent; she was one of Peter Cushing's neighbours. I believe this might be the only bush in America, in fact - possibly outside of Britain at all. It was cultivated in the name of memory... Here."
He gently fastened the rose in Beatrice's hair, tying a lock or two around the inch or so of stem. "It seems... appropriate, under the circumstances, to have a still-living flower for memory; something to hold on to and focus on... would you not agree, Master Nassa? A wall grown to ward off the outside world for a hundred years, to paraphrase the Sleeping Beauty?"
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:14 am

Adley

The liquor store clerk give you a odd look when you come in and ask for a phone.
"Damn man you look like you have seen a ghost."
He muttered but as you put money on th counter the man nodded and handed you a battered old cell phone.
"Yeah, yeah sure man...here, what is the problem did someone die?"
He said as he handed you the phone and took the twenty dollar bill and put it in his pocket.

Colin:

Beatrice looked at Colin as he fastened a flower in her hair, the gesture was beautiful and she nodded, perhaps she could use that to focus on, to make herself remember to fight, to get her Avatar to fight.
"Thank you Colin."
The young Verbena said and touched the flower in her hair gently then she looked down.
"If this is the end...will you tell the rest of the Cabal that I care about them..and inform my mother? She...is a True Believer she know what I am..."
Beatrice muttered then she looked up at Colin.
"And tell Adley that..."
Well what could she say that would not spell out her secret?
"Just tell him I thought of him...before the end..."
The young Verbena muttered, then she turned to her mentor and looked up into Amadeus's eyes.
"You where the best Mentor...anyone could hope for...you have been a second father to me Amadeus...but if this go wrong...I do not want you to toss your life away to avenge me, mourn and then move on, take other apprentices...please."
Beatrice muttered but Amadeus shook his head.
"I can not do that, if this...if this happen then blood will flow..."
Beatrice shook her head.
"It would mean your death Mentor."
Amadeus took his apprentice by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.
"If they harm you, I do not care...I have lost two apprentices I could not avenge..."
The old Verbena said before he hugged his apprentice again. Beatrice got a defiant look in her eyes.
"I am still a Verbena right...even if it is just for a few moments more?"
She asked and Amadeus nodded.
"Yes...what do that have to do with anything."
Beatrice looked at her mentor.
"Then I challenge you to a duel, it is my right to do so as a member of the Verbena...the one who first lay steel against the throat of the other wins...if I win, you drop your plans for revenge and continue with your life, if you win, I will give my blessing to the plans, revenge for my fate would be much better with my blessing right?"
Amadeus sigh then he nodded.
"Yes Beatrice such is you right, and I have to accept or stand disgraced but...they will not let us settle this before..."
The old Verbena swallowed down a lump in his throat.
"And you will be in no condition to fight after..."
The old mage said and Beatrice looks down.
"I know mentor, but our laws allow me to choose a champion willing to fight the duel in my stead and I still own two drams of tass to pay with, I will find someone to fight you if I am to weak...I will not let you throw your life away!"

George watched the little spat between mentor and student then he get a pained look in his eyes.
"It is time...we have to go...I am sorry."
He muttered softly.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:29 am

The liquor store clerk give you a odd look when you come in and ask for a phone. "Damn man you look like you have seen a ghost." He muttered but as you put money on the counter the man nodded and handed you a battered old cell phone. "Yeah, yeah sure man...here, what is the problem did someone die?" He said as he handed you the phone and took the twenty dollar bill and put it in his pocket.

"Thank you!" he said, a brief spark of relief clear in his expression. He tucked the folder close to him and picked up the phone. He dialed immediately, looking at the clerk as if he asked if someone died. He didn't answer him, listening to the other line, but his eyes spoke a volume. "What is the address of this place?" he asked him instead.

// He'll try Narim first assuming he remembers his number by now, if not then Colin, and on down the line of all the numbers he knows of people that would be around the Chantry until someone picks up.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:52 am

"Ehm...Nr 35 Old Road West."
The clerk said, he still seamed rather suspicious and curious at the state of the young man that just came in, but then he ran a open 24/7 liquor store he had seen worse.

Narim picks up his phone and say in a polite but clearly stressed tone of voice.
"Narim Sharaya, may I help you?"
In the background you hear Cita's voice.
"Good Freddy, expand the grid West I will take North until we find him...how is Miss Von Hess doing with her dowsing?"
Your then hear the voice of Winnifred Adlebloom.
"She say he is in Worcester and alive."
The you hear Cita's voice again.
"Thank havens for Hedge Wizards, I am bringing up a grid of that city now, do you have my data on your screed Winnifred?"
You hear Miss Adlebloom again reply.
"Yes, continue search and I will follow your lead. "
The Virtual Adept squad had apparently mobilized to find you.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:03 am

"I am in Worcester, Nr 35 Old road West in the corner liquor store on a borrowed phone. I have the folder with the originals and need to get them to you to stop them. Tell me where to go to get them picked up." It hadn't occurred to him that anyone would be looking for him though it should have but was glad to hear Cita's voice. He tucked the phone between his chin and shoulder and listened.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:18 am

Colin nodded, "I don't know your mother, I'm afraid, but the others... I will let them know. Adley also. As for the duel..."
He pondered, "Master Steelhaven, with the matter at hand in mind, do you think it possible to have the Quaesitors grant a final request from Beatrice? If the cuffs can still function without the chain between them, she would not have to be magically unleashed for such a formal arrangement - and my impression of Quaesitors thus far is that they're very firm on formality and protocol. Presented properly, they might not see it as a stalling tactic; indeed, as the last request of the condemned, are they not at least obligated to hear her out?"
For a moment, there was an impish glint in his eye as he smiled at Beatrice, "And with my horrible appreciation for poetic justice and irony, why not appoint Vittoria D'Angelo as your champion? I'm sure she would have a vested interest in winning, and there would be no disputing the outcome afterwards..."
He shook his head, "I'm sorry, that was wrong of me. But... let us go. Did you bring your sickle, Beatrice? Or would you like me to retrieve it for you?"
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:53 am

Adley:

"Leave money for the phone if you need not to feel guilty, then run out behind the shop to the first empty place you can find where there are no witnesses."
Narim instructed, normally his voice was soft and jovial, now however it had an air of authority in it though he never raised it, this was the Deacon speaking not the young man who loved movies and longed for a friend and his order brooked no argument.
"They have started the ritual, however how much damage they have done depends on how much time Colin Wainwright have managed to buy Miss Alexander but there are no time to loose...I am sending you directly to the doors before the ritual chamber, and do not worry, Cita did a rote few but Archmages can do, I however could teleport people no a neighboring city wrth accuracy from the time I was ten, there will not be any mishaps."
This was not a boast you realize, it was a reassurance.
"I am pinpointing the location of this cell phone now and sending you to the hallway with the ritual chambers as soon as I have the signal whatever you are out of the store or not, if I have to suffer Paradox to save a Avatar that is an more than acceptable risk."
Narim said calmly and you heard his fingers race over a keyboard.
"Every second count now, Avatars are hard to destroy, but every second they get to continue, there is a chance the damage is just to much, but if we are lucky and Mr Wainwright manage to stall for some time perhaps they have just started preparations...I have the signal...ready yourself..."

Colin:

Colin nodded, "I don't know your mother, I'm afraid, but the others... I will let them know. Adley also. As for the duel..."

Beatrice nodded in thanks and Amadeus spoke up.
"I will inform Janice, I do not know if I can make her understand, but I will tell her at least."

He pondered, "Master Steelhaven, with the matter at hand in mind, do you think it possible to have the Quaesitors grant a final request from Beatrice? If the cuffs can still function without the chain between them, she would not have to be magically unleashed for such a formal arrangement - and my impression of Quaesitors thus far is that they're very firm on formality and protocol. Presented properly, they might not see it as a stalling tactic; indeed, as the last request of the condemned, are they not at least obligated to hear her out?"

"Well yes the magick that bind Miss Alexander's magick is in the cuffs themselves they should be able to function fine without the chain yes...however for such a request as this, no when I was a judge I would not have allowed it in a Gilgul case since there is always a chance in a knife fight that someone might die, and it could be seen as an attempt at escape though death. Also since three hours was granted, most of my Sodalis would have expected that time to be spent for any last requests the condemned may have had. It do not hurt to ask them, but since the privilege of a last request is one granted by the individual Quaesitor i charge of the proceeding, I doubt Master Tolle will agree."
George said sadly.
"Not that it will hurt to ask him."

For a moment, there was an impish glint in his eye as he smiled at Beatrice, "And with my horrible appreciation for poetic justice and irony, why not appoint Vittoria D'Angelo as your champion? I'm sure she would have a vested interest in winning, and there would be no disputing the outcome afterwards..."

"Well I would if for nothing other than if she died in a duel with my mentor, the death would have been considered accidental, it is not allowed to go in for a kill in a duel not declared to the death, but when two people are doing their best to cut one another with a knife...accidents happen. Now I do not want D'Angelo to die...I forgive her."
Beatrice mutters and looks down.
"But rather her than my mentor. However a champion have to accept that duty, one can not pick at random, and I seriously doubt she would accept finding a old Verbena in a knife fight, no magick allowed."
The young Verbena said, Amadeus though looked like he liked that idea, he would not mind having Vittoria D'Angelo and a blade in the same place.

He shook his head, "I'm sorry, that was wrong of me. But... let us go. Did you bring your sickle, Beatrice? Or would you like me to retrieve it for you?"

"I left it in my room...I doubt I would be allowed to keep it...it would be to easy to kill myself during the ritual, you know do not give panicked, desperate people knives. I doubt I will even be allowed to keep my pendant if they discover that it is sharp."
Beatrice said sadly, then she gently tugged on the silver chain around her neck and swung the necklace around so she could get at the clasp with her bound hands, then she handed the necklace to Colin.
"I would rather you hang onto this Colin than it being taken from me...it have been my main foci for years, if a miracle happen then...give it back to me and if not then...well I will no longer need a discreet way to draw blood."
The young blood witch said and she begun to desperately sob, she did not resist as she was led out of Colin's room and towards the basement though.

The necklace that Beatrice had you are a beautiful silver piece, it is the Verbena symbol, a series of triangles really in a sharp angeled design, one of the sides of the pendant was razor sharp. It was rare that you did not see the silver piece around the young Verbena's neck, she have said it was a gift from her mentor on the day she was initiated into her Tradition, and it serve as a way for her to draw blood in places where she just can not bring a knife, as one have to look closely at the piece to see that the pendant is in fact a blade.

As you walk towards the ritual rooms in the basement you see some of the Chantry's inhabitants stand along the hallways and watch Beatrice pass with grim looks on their faces, many you see wore white, some even obviously having borrowed clothing that did not fit their usual style to get the color so it obviously meant something but what you do not know. Beatrice glanced up at those you pass and she seamed encouraged.
"They do not all hate me."
She muttered as you pass Francesca and Adjan, both in uncharacteristic white, the same with Rosa that you see stand by the staircase and many of the others, not all wore white but enough that it was quite noticeable as they watched Beatrice pass on what could be her last walk as a mage.

(OK Strife, depending on what Adley do with Narim's instructions we will have to wait to see if any of Colin's shenanigans pan out to determine the state Beatrice is in when he arrive.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:11 pm

As soon as he hears run for it, he does, slamming the shop door behind him so the owner won't follow him as easily. Tearing around the corner, clutching the phone and file folder, he heads for the back alley or nearest empty space with no people in sight.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:37 pm

Colin perked up an ear. "Master Tolle? It is not Vittoria D'Angelo who is running the show? That's rather unexpected. Still, yes, I see the point about not wanting the condemned to dodge judgment in such a manner - and D'Angelo being so unlikely to consent to the appointment."
He gingerly accepted the pendant and fetched a small, plain white case for it to lie in (always keeping a few spares in a suitable drawer), and followed along to the basement, one hand gently resting on Beatrice's shoulder.
Entering the Ritual Chamber, Colin looked at all the white-clad Mages, thought back to The Fragile Path, and muttered, "I should have had a white suit... I doubt it would be much appreciated if I ran back upstairs and changed into my bathrobe..."
He glanced around the ritual space itself, looking for the person seeming to be in charge, as well as Vittoria D'Angelo... and, hopefully, Cita Telar arriving in a timely fashion with a stack of printouts and concerns about D'Angelo's fitness to hold office.
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:21 pm

Colin perked up an ear. "Master Tolle? It is not Vittoria D'Angelo who is running the show? That's rather unexpected. Still, yes, I see the point about not wanting the condemned to dodge judgment in such a manner - and D'Angelo being so unlikely to consent to the appointment."

"No, D'Angelo got deposed you can say. Master Tolle I know him well, he did not appreciate her underhanded tactics, for better or for worse the man care about the law, he never make exceptions and are a hard judge but he is fair in his own way, so Vittoria is now just participating as a ritualist."
George said as he glanced at Colin.

He gingerly accepted the pendant and fetched a small, plain white case for it to lie in (always keeping a few spares in a suitable drawer), and followed along to the basement, one hand gently resting on Beatrice's shoulder.

Beatrice felt fragile, well she always did to an extent due to her size but now she felt like a bird under your fingers, as if anything would shatter her like a fine china doll, the girl walked in silence though one look at her would say that she was terrified out of her wits.

Entering the Ritual Chamber, Colin looked at all the white-clad Mages, thought back to The Fragile Path, and muttered, "I should have had a white suit... I doubt it would be much appreciated if I ran back upstairs and changed into my bathrobe..."

George gave a slight smile.
"I think Mr Wainwright, that Master Porthos is the only mage in the Tradition where it would be excused for him to arrive at an official function in a bathrobe...he however do that...frequently."

He glanced around the ritual space itself, looking for the person seeming to be in charge, as well as Vittoria D'Angelo... and, hopefully, Cita Telar arriving in a timely fashion with a stack of printouts and concerns about D'Angelo's fitness to hold office.

The room used for the Gilgul where the largest ritual chamber that Steelhaven had, the room still was crowded though with the six ritualists, you, Beatrice and George. Amadeus stopped outside of the room, so did anyone else who where following the procession. The old Verbena gave his apprentice one last, warm hug and did not seam to want to let her go before George gently touched her arm. it was clear that Amadeus did want to go in with Beatrice but he would honor her wishes and wait outside.
"Please Mr Wainwright stay with her through it, I know I ask allot of you but she need someone there and since she made me promise to stay outside of the room..."
Amadeus said to you as you passed, the old Verbena looked so devastated and worried over his apprentice and you do believe that yes, if he saw the ritual it was likely he would fly into a rage and then there would be blood, so waiting outside was probably wise.

You see the leader of the Spirit Masters as the five others behaved in a deferential manner towards him. The man was dark of skin and all but bald, he was tall but age had bent him some, his fingers was like bones and riddled with arthritis and he was so thin under his black robes he looked like a skeleton someone had drawn some skin over. You also see Vittoria D'Angelo standing there proud also in a black robe, they all wore black ritual robes, four men and two women, and all had the scales of justice marking their office clearly visible on their person, all the six Masters of Spirit had grim looks on their faces and the six of them standing there with the purpose that they had where definitively nightmare fuel.

It was at this time Beatrice begun to panic.
"No..."
She whimpered and begun to back away. George took her arm, gently but firmly.
"Shhh come now if you resist you know they will chain you down and you do not want that. Calm child...breathe."
The old mage tried but it was not to effective and the young Verbena's breath came in uneven wheezes, she looked so afraid that she might faint on the spot. D'Angelo saw thee young girl's fear and gave a smile, a smile that hatred and fanaticism had turned cruel.

You hear footsteps behind you and see Cita there pushing some papers towards you.
"Here take this, I have to get back in case one of the Hermetics needs to get teleported, that is all I could find, it is not much though but enough that you can try to make the demand that Miss D'Angelo have to be examined, I can not do the examination though I have to be ready with the portals, but hell you have seven bloody Masters of Spirit in one room, one of them should be able to check. Do keep in mind though that the claim might be thrown out due to the fact that this happened so long ago that if a splinter was there then surly D'Angelo would have done something about it, if they try that, look at page five, that is a written statement from me where I inform them that I have such a splinter in my soul...and have had it for fifteen years..."
Cita said hurriedly.
"I can be to places at once Colin but I can not do that and at the same time try to get someone safely teleported from Horizon..."
The Virtual Adept said trying to give all the instructions at once.
"Good luck, stall for as much time as you can."
The Technomancer added, this in just a bare whisper before she just plain vanished before your eyes.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Colin looked down at the little bundle of papers, all expression and emotion vanishing from his features. "I'll be there to literally hold your hand, Beatrice, but first, I have to do this..."
Colin strode into the ritual chamber, mentally blocking out everything but the Judges - this was not about putting on a show for a crowd, or deceiving, or anything else; this was merely about presenting a concern to one other person, audience be damned. Stepping straight up to the obvious leader of the Judges, Colin bowed deferentially, at the just correct angle, and held up the papers.
"Master Tolle, I presume? I have an urgent - in fact, immediate - concern regarding Quaesitor Vittoria D'Angelo's fitness for office. The concern does extend to her brother, Quaesitor Dominic D'Angelo, as well."
Taking a moment to catch his breath and calm himself, more than a pause for dramatic effect, he continued, "As the story goes, the D'Angelo twins were the ones to find their mentor after Nephandi had torn his Avatar apart. As it happens, I participated in a similar scenario only a couple of days ago, in which I and Miss Alexander participated in the visit to the manor and node which has now condemned her. At the time, another of our Cabal magically examined the entrance to the manor, and apparently due to the compatibility between his Avatar and the guardian spirit, which had been torn apart by Nephandi, a shard of said guardian spirit embedded itself in his Avatar. I queried the honored Master Cita Telar on the subject, and she did confirm the possibility that such a shard could have affixed itself to the Quaesitors who found their mentor... thus assaulted. Enclosed on page five here is a written statement from Mistress Cita Telar that she herself has had such a splinter in her own soul for the past fifteen years; as such, I'm afraid I cannot stand idly by without having the concern for Quaesitors D'Angelo's Avatars unaddressed."
Colin inclined his head slightly to the side, "I am no expert in legal matters or matters pertaining to the sphere of Spirits, which is why I consulted with experts; I'm afraid I did not receive the pertinent papers before arriving at the Ritual Chamber just now."

((OOC: Ah, the literal truth - it's so nice when deception and underhanded tactics don't involve lying. Very Happy ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Colin looked down at the little bundle of papers, all expression and emotion vanishing from his features. "I'll be there to literally hold your hand, Beatrice, but first, I have to do this..."

Beatrice looked like she might faint...perhaps it would be kinder if she did, then at least she would not be afraid anymore, the young Verbena did not protest though when you left her side to talk with the judges, she understood you had to try to stall for time...if there was only a little more time...then she might be saved, there was a small chance for it at least, so she merely nodded.

Colin strode into the ritual chamber, mentally blocking out everything but the Judges - this was not about putting on a show for a crowd, or deceiving, or anything else; this was merely about presenting a concern to one other person, audience be damned. Stepping straight up to the obvious leader of the Judges, Colin bowed deferentially, at the just correct angle, and held up the papers.
"Master Tolle, I presume? I have an urgent - in fact, immediate - concern regarding Quaesitor Vittoria D'Angelo's fitness for office. The concern does extend to her brother, Quaesitor Dominic D'Angelo, as well."

"Yes I am Milton Tolle Hermes bani Guernicus and who might you be Sir?"
The old man said politely but sharply as he took the papers and begun to look them over, old eyes scanning the pages as he listened to the rest of what you had to say.

Taking a moment to catch his breath and calm himself, more than a pause for dramatic effect, he continued, "As the story goes, the D'Angelo twins were the ones to find their mentor after Nephandi had torn his Avatar apart. As it happens, I participated in a similar scenario only a couple of days ago, in which I and Miss Alexander participated in the visit to the manor and node which has now condemned her.

Vittoria gave you a look when you mention her mentor, a look that would kill if she could legally get away with it, there was no doubt that right now one of the things highest on Vittoria D'Angelo's wish list was to burn you to ash.

At the time, another of our Cabal magically examined the entrance to the manor, and apparently due to the compatibility between his Avatar and the guardian spirit, which had been torn apart by Nephandi, a shard of said guardian spirit embedded itself in his Avatar. I queried the honored Master Cita Telar on the subject, and she did confirm the possibility that such a shard could have affixed itself to the Quaesitors who found their mentor... thus assaulted.

Vittoria begun to protest but Tolle lifted a bony hand and the younger Quaesitor fell silent. House Guernicus set age and experience over even magickal power and Tolle clearly outranked the red haired woman to such a degree that she did not speak without his leave, her eyes burned with anger though. Tolle cleared his throat and begun to speak.
"Well an Umbrood is not the same as an Avatar young man, however it is more likely to be hit by an Avatar shard than one from an Umbrood as they exist on the same plane so the scenario you present are possible...but not likely."
The old Quaesitor said as he still scanned the papers.
"Vittoria and Dominic D'Angelo's mentor Letitius Arim Clava was found Gilgulled by the Nephandi over a hundred years ago, it is doubtful that Mr or Miss D'Andelo would have kept a shard of his Avatar in theirs for such a time without informing anyone or trying to rectify the problem."

Enclosed on page five here is a written statement from Mistress Cita Telar that she herself has had such a splinter in her own soul for the past fifteen years; as such, I'm afraid I cannot stand idly by without having the concern for Quaesitors D'Angelo's Avatars unaddressed."
Colin inclined his head slightly to the side, "I am no expert in legal matters or matters pertaining to the sphere of Spirits, which is why I consulted with experts; I'm afraid I did not receive the pertinent papers before arriving at the Ritual Chamber just now."

"Master Telar is well known to us as an expert on the Sphere of Spirit, it is also known there was a tragic accident with one of her apprentices, I do assume the shard she carries is from him, however since Miss Telar is not in a position where such a potential disruption of her ability to reason are required by law to report, Mr and Miss D'Angelo is so unless you have more proof Sir, beyond it is technically possible then I am afraid there is little I can do save note your complaint and log it. To explain further young man, I could be a Technocrat, it is technically possible, I am a mage and have been alone without supervision for days at a time when I could have switched my alliance, and you could be a murderer, suspicion have to go beyond a technical possibility. Yes is it a possibility that a shard from Master Clava's soul could be stuck in either of his apprentices, yes, however it is most unlikely, to unlikely for the law to take any action."
The old judge said firmly.
"If you wish to press the matter you are off course welcome to file a complaint that will be addressed by House Guernicus at due time."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:00 pm

Colin bowed again, "I'm dreadfully sorry for my impertinence; Colin Wainwright, resident at this Chantry, at your service. However, I'm afraid the suspicion does go some way past mere 'technical possibility'. As I am given to understand the incident of Master Clava, the Nephandi responsible were slain in the altercation, their Avatars free to... reincarnate. The pattern of judicial work by the honored D'Angelos after the loss of their mentor appears to strongly suggest a particular predilection for hunting down Widderslaintes born in the time after the loss of Master Clava, to an extent suggesting some manner of continuous influence. If such a vengeful influence were the last remaining pieces of their mentor after his Avatar was flayed, it would most certainly explain why - should the hypothesis be correct - the D'Angelos chose to remain silent on the matter. In any case, I am not requesting the removal of Quaesitor Vittoria D'Angelo from these proceedings. However..."
Colin looked briefly around at the gathered Judges, and back at George Steelhaven, "...there are, what, seven Masters of Spirit present at this moment? The hypothesis should be easy and quick to prove or disprove with an examination. Should the hypothesis prove incorrect, I shall gladly stand to answer for the impertinence of making an incorrect accusation against a Quaesitor, but should it prove true... In either case, I'm afraid I cannot allow myself to stand down in this matter; I will accept the result of a swift examination on your word alone, but I will not leave the question unanswered."
He arched an eyebrow, "Besides, as it happens, by Massachusetts state law - Sleeper law - I am, in fact a murderer, as I performed euthanasia on a dying Nephandus only a couple of days ago; an act which while merciful remains a crime... seeing as your speculation has turned out to be surprisingly accurate, who is to say mine, which does have more circumstantial evidence to support it, is any less accurate?"

((OOC: Oh, man, he chose the wrongest speculation there. Wink ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:37 pm

Colin bowed again, "I'm dreadfully sorry for my impertinence; Colin Wainwright, resident at this Chantry, at your service. However, I'm afraid the suspicion does go some way past mere 'technical possibility'.

"Very well then Mr Wainwright do tell me your complaint, I am all ears."
Tolle said but he raised an eyebrow that you where not mentioning your rank or Tradition.

As I am given to understand the incident of Master Clava, the Nephandi responsible were slain in the altercation, their Avatars free to... reincarnate. The pattern of judicial work by the honored D'Angelos after the loss of their mentor appears to strongly suggest a particular predilection for hunting down Widderslaintes born in the time after the loss of Master Clava, to an extent suggesting some manner of continuous influence.

"Well Mr Wainwright that do not suggest a spiritual problem with the Masters D'Angelo, it suggest bias, which in an off itself is worse. However we all have one type of case or another that we specialize in so them devoting more of their time to hunting down widderslainte there is nothing wrong with, as for whatever or not they have judged unfairly in such cases, that complaint is already retrieved and if your Chantrymates Master Morgan and his student can prove that will indeed create some legal issues for the Masters D'Angelo, however until a Tribunal have reviewed this case there are no legal grounds to keep them from practicing law, unless you can prove they are influenced by Paradox, spiritual issues or have recently been in Quiet."

If such a vengeful influence were the last remaining pieces of their mentor after his Avatar was flayed, it would most certainly explain why - should the hypothesis be correct - the D'Angelos chose to remain silent on the matter. In any case, I am not requesting the removal of Quaesitor Vittoria D'Angelo from these proceedings. However..."

"Seeing one's mentor Gilgulled is also likely to make someone choose a different focus for one's profession without there needing to be anything spiritually wrong with them Mr Wainwright."
Tolle said in a perfectly polite tone of voice, though the man was beginning to run out of patience.

Colin looked briefly around at the gathered Judges, and back at George Steelhaven, "...there are, what, seven Masters of Spirit present at this moment? The hypothesis should be easy and quick to prove or disprove with an examination.

"Yes Mr Wainwright, seven that is correct, there are also no less than eighteen eyeballs in this room also, but you do not see me ask you to drop your trousers so we can see if you have contracted syphilis, I mean there is a technical possibility that you have and then you could be contagious, now an Avatar is far more private than any physical part of our bodies, so yes there are six people here able to examine Master D'Angelo's Avatar but I hesitate to order such a breach of her privacy without some sort of proof that there is an issue."

Should the hypothesis prove incorrect, I shall gladly stand to answer for the impertinence of making an incorrect accusation against a Quaesitor, but should it prove true... In either case, I'm afraid I cannot allow myself to stand down in this matter; I will accept the result of a swift examination on your word alone, but I will not leave the question unanswered."

"Making the claim is not in itself illegal Mr Wainwright the consequence is to be found prone to fretting."
Milton Tolle said in a mildly irritated tone of voice.
"Now whatever or not you allow yourself to stand down or not are of little consequence, however I would prefer a peaceful solution to this situation."
The old judge said as he regards you sternly.
"Now this is clearly a ploy for time for you friend, and I do not blame you for it, the ploy is within the confines of the law...now if I agree to examine Master D'Angelo in private, will that result in more outlandish claims from you young man or can we then get this done?"
The Quaesitor asked sternly.

He arched an eyebrow, "Besides, as it happens, by Massachusetts state law - Sleeper law - I am, in fact a murderer, as I performed euthanasia on a dying Nephandus only a couple of days ago; an act which while merciful remains a crime... seeing as your speculation has turned out to be surprisingly accurate, who is to say mine, which does have more circumstantial evidence to support it, is any less accurate?"

Well since hopefully none of us here in this room are sleepers, or I would not dare to think about the backlash the ritual would cause, what sleeper law say is irrelevant, I am nearing 700 years Mr Wainwright by sleeper law I do not exist, however if you agree to stop your ploys for time if I agree to your request then five minutes to perform a simple examination on Master D'Angelo should not matter as long as she do not strongly oppose the matter, however young man any more ploys from you and I will have you removed from the room, am I understood?"
Tolle said as he regarded you with his green eyes, glossy with age in a manner not unlike a displeased schoolteacher would look at a irritating five year old.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:26 pm

Colin nodded sharply, like a soldier at attention. "I can ask for nothing further, Your Honour. If you perform this examination, you have my word, I will even personally help restrain Miss Alexander afterwards. Wearing suppressing handcuffs beside her, if Quaesitor D'Angelo so desires."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top