Abigails Labyrinth, More Avatar Shenanigans and Final Plans IC Thread 16

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Abigails Labyrinth, More Avatar Shenanigans and Final Plans IC Thread 16

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:18 pm

"Very well then, let me know if situation changes your mind while I'm here."

"I will do so mea filius."
Your Mentor said and nodded.
"Hopefully we do not need to deal with that until after things in Chicago are concluded."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

View user profile http://chantrysteelhaven.forumfreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:45 pm

"The more complicated you make a rote Mr Wainwright the more costly it gets, we do not want a Marauder to contact us, if we restrain her from re entering physical reality that is something done instead of killing her, she will be on her own after that, I doubt the Nephandi will go for the same target twice in any regards, and especially one that can no longer cross the Gauntlet."
Colin nodded, "I was thinking of a separate means - perhaps two linked items, or something like that - for Maya's safety's sake more than anything. But it's just a thought, and something that might be considered after the Deacon Council has made its decision."

"Well those thousand years of suffering inside of the Caul might take their toll though very few avoid becoming monsters when they Fall, but I guess some are spared that, or are strong enough to retain some of what they once where."
He frowned, "Thus adding to the tragedy..."

"Colin?" he asked, spotting him down the hall and hurrying up towards him. "Let me know when the rest of your business is concluded, if you would?"
Colin turned and looked up from his phone, "Certainly - Cita will be opening a new portal when I'm ready to go. Or rather, when we are ready; I take it I can't precisely keep you out of this one, can I?"
He smiled, "I suppose I could order you to stay safe, but that would be rather hypocritical. And there's really none I'd rather trust to watch my back, all things considered."

"No...and I do not like it, I usually know exactly when someone will arrive, that something are throwing my predictions off are unnerving...then again perhaps I am just getting old."
Colin frowned, "I suppose there's enough chronomantic resonance in my system right now to potentially throw you off; I've spent a few days in time bubbles over the past 24 hours. Plus the memories of things to come... It might just be accidental interference."

"I see, I suspected that some pieces might have been left from that Gilgul large enough to...survive...and you are sure about this Mr Wainwright, about who you where in a past life?"
He nodded, "Positive... After a Nephandus attempted - and failed gloriously - to gilgul me earlier tonight, my Avatar literally cracked out of its shell and revealed itself to have the form of a large core shard with a cloud of fragments around it; a sad lady like a broken glass doll in an egg... Master Telar's scan verifies that my Avatar has been through a gilgul - the scars areunmistakable - and I've had quite distinct flashes of memory, very tactile ones at that; hatching and stepping onto the cold stone floor of Julius de Medici's laboratory and picking our name before passing out, and pacing with Louis and Cygnus while waiting for the twins to be born... The twins, incidentally, who are here in this Chantry now, apparently. Mister Roth Hicks and miss Alexander. I'm... well, my Avatar is actually holding on to two shards that were severed from miss Alexander earlier, a small blessing as mine is taking in any shards it finds and using them as building material to mend itself... except those two. Those two shards are just held close, untampered with, and we hope to return them to miss Alexander later, once we get some suitable anaesthetics."

"How many others know about this?"
"Right now? Only the ones I think need to know... and one other. Joakim, the Security Chief of Chantry Morningstar, because he was there when I made the connection, mr. Roth Hicks as well, Chief Morgan as our Security Chief and as Adley's Mentor, Master Telar as, well, the best there is at Avatars, Master Nassa, since he is Beatrice's Mentor, and you. Master Narim will probably need to know, as well, but that can probably wait until he becomes Deacon Primus - unless you think this is something the entire Deacon Council should be informed of... I'd rather not, though."
He leaned back, sighing as he sipped the tea, "If it's any comfort to you, I have no intention of repeating Teomim's most significant deeds. The Philosopher's Stone might tempt me to research, but I've no desire to merge with another - you could say I feel like I have a bad track record for that - nor do I wish to unify the Traditions with a common enemy. Unify the Traditions, yes, but by far different means than the Great Betrayal..."
He frowned, "I... a part of me would like to find the reincarnations of the First Cabal and beg their forgiveness, though I realize that's probably not the healthiest course of action..."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Colin nodded, "I was thinking of a separate means - perhaps two linked items, or something like that - for Maya's safety's sake more than anything. But it's just a thought, and something that might be considered after the Deacon Council has made its decision."

"If you wish you pay for such a rote to be done on behalf of the young Marauder Mr Wainwright, and the cost of a potential rescue operation, I doubt that is a cost this Chantry can take on behalf of a Marauder though, remember they are not our allies Mr Wainwright and we would already be showing mercy by letting them go."
Amadeus said and sigh.

He frowned, "Thus adding to the tragedy..."

"Yes, thus adding to the tragedy...indeed."
The old Verbena said and shook his head sadly.

Colin frowned, "I suppose there's enough chronomantic resonance in my system right now to potentially throw you off; I've spent a few days in time bubbles over the past 24 hours. Plus the memories of things to come... It might just be accidental interference."

"Well that might be the cause of my miscalculation young man, it could explain it, Time magick do tend to interfere with other Time magick, but I still do not like it."
The old Guernicus muttered.

He nodded, "Positive... After a Nephandus attempted - and failed gloriously - to gilgul me earlier tonight, my Avatar literally cracked out of its shell and revealed itself to have the form of a large core shard with a cloud of fragments around it; a sad lady like a broken glass doll in an egg... Master Telar's scan verifies that my Avatar has been through a gilgul - the scars areunmistakable - and I've had quite distinct flashes of memory, very tactile ones at that; hatching and stepping onto the cold stone floor of Julius de Medici's laboratory and picking our name before passing out, and pacing with Louis and Cygnus while waiting for the twins to be born...

"Hum...so it is confirmed...well first let me say that I am most pleased to hear that such an attempt on your soul was unsuccessful, and from the way you speak about it, there do not seam to be any mental scars either...so you remember to distinct memories from Master Teomim's life...well this revelation will not make life more easy for you I fear Mr Wainwright."
George said surprisingly calmly considering what you had just told him and he lifted his cup and saucer and sipped his tea.

The twins, incidentally, who are here in this Chantry now, apparently. Mister Roth Hicks and miss Alexander. I'm... well, my Avatar is actually holding on to two shards that were severed from miss Alexander earlier, a small blessing as mine is taking in any shards it finds and using them as building material to mend itself... except those two. Those two shards are just held close, untampered with, and we hope to return them to miss Alexander later, once we get some suitable anaesthetics."

"I see...do Mr Roth Hicks and Miss Alexander know this? I have to admit that I am not surprised that there are some connection between those two, a Diedne's apprentice and a young Flambeau not two you would expect to become close friends. Hum...so your soul is holding parts of Miss Alexander's Avatar...those shards can then be used to better her chances?"
George asked.
"How do you know those two are the reincarnations of Heylel's twins by the way Mr Wainwright if you do not mind me asking?"

"Right now? Only the ones I think need to know... and one other. Joakim, the Security Chief of Chantry Morningstar, because he was there when I made the connection, mr. Roth Hicks as well, Chief Morgan as our Security Chief and as Adley's Mentor, Master Telar as, well, the best there is at Avatars, Master Nassa, since he is Beatrice's Mentor, and you. Master Narim will probably need to know, as well, but that can probably wait until he becomes Deacon Primus - unless you think this is something the entire Deacon Council should be informed of... I'd rather not, though."

"No telling anyone else should not be necessary, tell as few people as possible, there are those who would try to lynch you, and there might be legal precedence for...ehm a death sentence to an Avatar to be inherited by the next incarnation of said soul."
George said softly.
"I am not trying to alarm you Mr Wainwright but...letting this secret slip out could cost you more than your life."
He said in a serious tone of voice.
"Once I have left, Narim should probably be told since this can affect the safety of Steelhaven Hall, but I will not order you to do so...just be careful with your secret young Orphan."
He said in a kindly tone of voice and took another sip of his tea.

He leaned back, sighing as he sipped the tea, "If it's any comfort to you, I have no intention of repeating Teomim's most significant deeds. The Philosopher's Stone might tempt me to research, but I've no desire to merge with another - you could say I feel like I have a bad track record for that - nor do I wish to unify the Traditions with a common enemy. Unify the Traditions, yes, but by far different means than the Great Betrayal..."

"The Philosopher's Stone is a worthy pursuit Mr Wainwright, as for becoming a rebis...I think that is best left to those who are born that way, even Teomim himself could not fully pull it off. Him or they where not fully joined, his achievement was impressive but also problematic and...I do not judge you on the sins of your previous incarnation, I do not think you will betray your Cabal...unify the Traditions though...perhaps you will find a way to do that child...perhaps you will find a way to do that..."

He frowned, "I... a part of me would like to find the reincarnations of the First Cabal and beg their forgiveness, though I realize that's probably not the healthiest course of action..."

"No...it would not be a safe course of action, a noble one...perhaps but safe no and it should not be done unless you are willing to face the consequences including this secret coming out, and remember those of the First Cabal that did not die in the fight when the Order of Reason's forces descended on them, or the one man who escaped with Teomim...the others where captured and savagely tortured...such things leave scars that lasts many incarnations young man, and if they find out who you where...they might resent you enough to harm you...or drag you before a Tribunal so such a quest for redemption might end up being your last."
The old Guernicus warned.

Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 pm

"If you wish you pay for such a rote to be done on behalf of the young Marauder Mr Wainwright, and the cost of a potential rescue operation, I doubt that is a cost this Chantry can take on behalf of a Marauder though, remember they are not our allies Mr Wainwright and we would already be showing mercy by letting them go."
Colin shrugged, "A pair of, say, matching pocket mirrors, wrought from the same sheet of silver shouldn't be too costly, and would have an acceptably strong sympathetic link between them - it wouldn't necessarily need to be much magical work involved in advance. As for mounting a rescue operation - it would depend a lot on the circumstances, but it would potentially give us early warning if the Fallen were to try that angle again. I didn't think of making some great, powerful portal - the good lady seems quite capable to open a link between an item here and an item in the Umbra, if the pieces share a connection already."

"Well that might be the cause of my miscalculation young man, it could explain it, Time magick do tend to interfere with other Time magick, but I still do not like it."
He nodded, "I think I know the exact feeling... I've on occasion found air bubbles in sheets of silver - that's thrown a spanner in the works from time to time."

"Hum...so it is confirmed...well first let me say that I am most pleased to hear that such an attempt on your soul was unsuccessful, and from the way you speak about it, there do not seam to be any mental scars either...so you remember to distinct memories from Master Teomim's life...well this revelation will not make life more easy for you I fear Mr Wainwright."
He nodded, "To be honest, I was not quite in charge at the time of the attempt... I'd just spent the last of my mental fortitude, er, eviscerating a Nephandus who had... shot miss Adelbloom, and it seems Mia took over the strings at that point, and did... something to shield us from the Fallen Master. It worked sufficiently to just knock me out unharmed and stronger, and Adley was able to... end the Nephandus. Two days later, I woke up in a time bubble..."

"I see...do Mr Roth Hicks and Miss Alexander know this? I have to admit that I am not surprised that there are some connection between those two, a Diedne's apprentice and a young Flambeau not two you would expect to become close friends. Hum...so your soul is holding parts of Miss Alexander's Avatar...those shards can then be used to better her chances?"
"Master Telar says miss Alexander needs a graft - a transplant to patch the holes in her Avatar, to ease the pain and help her get back on her feet. The two shards I hold - being miss Alexander's own, they are the perfect pieces to mend her Avatar; hopefully, they can be returned seamlessly, but at the very least, they are literally from the best suited donor, without any ethical concerns like harming someone else in the process."

"How do you know those two are the reincarnations of Heylel's twins by the way Mr Wainwright if you do not mind me asking?"
"Ah, that is a little... complicated. The pieces fit almost too well for there to be any other answer - we do know they've reincarnated in close proximity several times over the centuries; last time, they were siblings in Chicago; the... incident when a Labyrinth was raided there seventy years ago was a bit of a mess. Adley also had a Seeking while we were there, and he mentioned parts that corroborate the hypothesis, and... it really isn't my place to share that. However, it's no single thing that has me convinced of it, but rather the breadth of circumstantial evidence that I've seen."
He scratched his ear, slightly bashfully, "And I do feel some... familial connection to them; miss Alexander in particular, though it's more like that of a doting uncle than a father, I think."

"No telling anyone else should not be necessary, tell as few people as possible, there are those who would try to lynch you, and there might be legal precedence for...ehm a death sentence to an Avatar to be inherited by the next incarnation of said soul."
He frowned, "You know, as absurd as it is, I'm less concerned with the concept of an inherited sentence like that - the gilgul of Teomim was, by every account, completed successfully. The fact that one shard was big enough to escape with some consciousness intact could probably be argued as irrelevant... the fact that Julius was the dominant part might help my case with Mia, as well, though that'd be a matter of semantics as much as anything else... Still, I'd rather not put that to the test."

"I am not trying to alarm you Mr Wainwright but...letting this secret slip out could cost you more than your life."
He nodded, "I've inherited all of the dangers and none of the perks, I suppose... Hm, which reminds me, I should avoid Master Ir on my upcoming visits to Horizon - my Avatar frightens Fallen Avatars, it seems, and I'd rather not scare his. I've... heard some tales."

"Once I have left, Narim should probably be told since this can affect the safety of Steelhaven Hall, but I will not order you to do so...just be careful with your secret young Orphan."
He nodded, "Master Narim is a good man, and as Deacon Primus, I think he needs to know, since it, as you say, is something that could potentially affect the entire Chantry. This, I suppose, would go for anyone who assumes the office of Deacon Primus."

"The Philosopher's Stone is a worthy pursuit Mr Wainwright, as for becoming a rebis...I think that is best left to those who are born that way, even Teomim himself could not fully pull it off. Him or they where not fully joined, his achievement was impressive but also problematic and...I do not judge you on the sins of your previous incarnation, I do not think you will betray your Cabal...unify the Traditions though...perhaps you will find a way to do that child...perhaps you will find a way to do that..."
"To be honest, remembering being in their skin, I think Teomim, or at least the Julius de Medici half, was a bit of an idiot. An unparallelled genius, to be sure, but a bit of a shortsighted, arrogant ass nonetheless. I'm a lot less... concerned with showing off my genius than he was, especially when it comes to radical experiments. I suspect Mia picked me because I have some of his drive and enthusiasm, perhaps, but she has managed to... temper me with caution a lot better than she did him. As for unifying the Traditions, I believe I mentioned my idea for an independent House to you? A diplomatic service to settle disagreements between individuals of different Traditions? Under the circumstances, I suppose adopting the motto 'Arbitratium Vincit Omnia" might risk treading on a few more toes than I previously considered worth the risk?"

"No...it would not be a safe course of action, a noble one...perhaps but safe no and it should not be done unless you are willing to face the consequences including this secret coming out, and remember those of the First Cabal that did not die in the fight when the Order of Reason's forces descended on them, or the one man who escaped with Teomim...the others where captured and savagely tortured...such things leave scars that lasts many incarnations young man, and if they find out who you where...they might resent you enough to harm you...or drag you before a Tribunal so such a quest for redemption might end up being your last."
He nodded, "You are, of course, completely right, and my desire for forgiveness is not as strong as my desire for not becoming the target of a half-a-millennium-old grudge. Perhaps a deathbed confession could be feasible, but aside from that... no, not a smart thing to do at all."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:08 pm

Colin turned and looked up from his phone, "Certainly - Cita will be opening a new portal when I'm ready to go. Or rather, when we are ready; I take it I can't precisely keep you out of this one, can I?" He smiled, "I suppose I could order you to stay safe, but that would be rather hypocritical. And there's really none I'd rather trust to watch my back, all things considered.

"You can still try, though it seems I need to follow up on something there regardless. Something I prefer not to speak of in the hall, so if you wish to discuss it let me know before we leave." Then he paused before adding, "Thank you though for saying that, though. It means a lot to me," he said, giving him a nod and a smile. "Anyway, just give me a ring or find me..."

If you peer into the spiritual realms then you will be able to see the little spider gafflings that was crawling up and down the outside walls of the apartment building if you lean a little out of a window to look for them.

He'll head up to the north area upstairs as he'd been intending to first, instead of leaning out windows to have a look around to see what they'd been up to while he was away.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:03 am

Colin:

Colin shrugged, "A pair of, say, matching pocket mirrors, wrought from the same sheet of silver shouldn't be too costly, and would have an acceptably strong sympathetic link between them - it wouldn't necessarily need to be much magical work involved in advance.

"We do not want something with a strong arcane connection linked to something at Steelhaven given to another mage, and especially a Marauder Mr Wainwright those things go both ways."
Amadeus said sternly.

As for mounting a rescue operation - it would depend a lot on the circumstances, but it would potentially give us early warning if the Fallen were to try that angle again.

"The chance that the Fallen would try the same thing again with a Marauder who no longer have a nest of others like herself to protect and who no longer can cross the Gauntlet is far less than the risk of giving her an Arcane connection to something kept at the Chantry."

I didn't think of making some great, powerful portal - the good lady seems quite capable to open a link between an item here and an item in the Umbra, if the pieces share a connection already."

"Yes and that is exactly what we want her not to be able to do if the Deacon Council is to be convinced that she is safe to let leave here alive."
The old Verbena said and raised an eyebrow.

He nodded, "I think I know the exact feeling... I've on occasion found air bubbles in sheets of silver - that's thrown a spanner in the works from time to time."

"Yes that is the feeling exactly."
The old mage said as he lead you into his apartment.

He nodded, "To be honest, I was not quite in charge at the time of the attempt... I'd just spent the last of my mental fortitude, er, eviscerating a Nephandus who had... shot miss Adelbloom, and it seems Mia took over the strings at that point, and did... something to shield us from the Fallen Master. It worked sufficiently to just knock me out unharmed and stronger, and Adley was able to... end the Nephandus. Two days later, I woke up in a time bubble..."

"I see, well it have happened that Avatars have acted to protect their hosts. I also heard that Miss Adlebloom had been shot, I do hope the young lady is recovering?"
George said.
"It is probably good you where not fully awake to feel the brunt of that rote then, it might have saved your mind some trauma."

"Master Telar says miss Alexander needs a graft - a transplant to patch the holes in her Avatar, to ease the pain and help her get back on her feet. The two shards I hold - being miss Alexander's own, they are the perfect pieces to mend her Avatar; hopefully, they can be returned seamlessly, but at the very least, they are literally from the best suited donor, without any ethical concerns like harming someone else in the process."

"I see, well using pieces of Miss Alexander's own Avatar is better than the alternative and if Master Telar says that such a graft needs to be done then I would trust her, the woman is very good at what she do. Perhaps then your soul have just saved Miss Alexander."
The old Hermetic said with a small smile.

"Ah, that is a little... complicated. The pieces fit almost too well for there to be any other answer - we do know they've reincarnated in close proximity several times over the centuries; last time, they were siblings in Chicago; the... incident when a Labyrinth was raided there seventy years ago was a bit of a mess. Adley also had a Seeking while we were there, and he mentioned parts that corroborate the hypothesis, and... it really isn't my place to share that. However, it's no single thing that has me convinced of it, but rather the breadth of circumstantial evidence that I've seen."

"Hum...well it is not rare for souls to incarnate together in groups but yes sometimes many small pieces of evidence can be as compelling as one surefire thing. I am not going to ask you to reveal anything private for Mr Roth Hicks though off course."
The old mage said and sipped his tea.
"Ah yes the siblings involved in that unfortunate business with the Chicago Labyrinth, the young Tytalus who fell and her brother that took her life to save her from the Traditions...so they where Miss Alexander and Mr Roth Hicks then? That do make sense."

He scratched his ear, slightly bashfully, "And I do feel some... familial connection to them; miss Alexander in particular, though it's more like that of a doting uncle than a father, I think."

George smiled a little at that.

He frowned, "You know, as absurd as it is, I'm less concerned with the concept of an inherited sentence like that - the gilgul of Teomim was, by every account, completed successfully. The fact that one shard was big enough to escape with some consciousness intact could probably be argued as irrelevant...

"It could be used as an argument at least, but since part of Teomim's Avatar did survive, no the Gilgul was not completely successful, usually the shards left are not large enough to start to rebuild themselves, but it could be argued it was a mistake done by the group performing the rite and not something a future incarnation should suffer for...it would be a glorious trial but not one I think you would want to be in the middle of Mr Wainwright."

the fact that Julius was the dominant part might help my case with Mia, as well, though that'd be a matter of semantics as much as anything else... Still, I'd rather not put that to the test."

"That argument was tried in the original trial, the argument that Mia de Napoli's soul was not as guilty, the argument did not win any favor was was rejected on the grounds that Mia de Napoli had willingly joined with her partner and as such was equally guilty and that Heylel had insisted that he be seen as one being, not two."
George explained.
"So no you do not want to put that one to the test young man."

He nodded, "I've inherited all of the dangers and none of the perks, I suppose... Hm, which reminds me, I should avoid Master Ir on my upcoming visits to Horizon - my Avatar frightens Fallen Avatars, it seems, and I'd rather not scare his. I've... heard some tales."

"Ah yes him...a dark day for House Guernicus when they tried to give him the Gilgul rite...two Masters of Spirits killed on the spot, two others died shortly after of their injuries and the last two have not spoken a word since the incident happened."
The old Hermetic said and shook his head sadly.
"No you do not want to disturb that Avatar, Master Ir lives on Chantry Morningstar though so I would try to avoid him there as well as on Horizon."

He nodded, "Master Narim is a good man, and as Deacon Primus, I think he needs to know, since it, as you say, is something that could potentially affect the entire Chantry. This, I suppose, would go for anyone who assumes the office of Deacon Primus."

"Narim is indeed a good man and he will serve this Chantry well as it's leader."
George said fondly.
"But yes the Deacon Primus of the Chantry should be told, it is important the leadership know of such a potential complication."

"To be honest, remembering being in their skin, I think Teomim, or at least the Julius de Medici half, was a bit of an idiot. An unparallelled genius, to be sure, but a bit of a shortsighted, arrogant ass nonetheless. I'm a lot less... concerned with showing off my genius than he was, especially when it comes to radical experiments.

The old Guernicus gave a amused laugh at that statement.
"Well he certainly was quite a character...brilliant yes but perhaps arrogant...he wanted to matter and in the end matter he did but perhaps not in the way he had originally hoped."

I suspect Mia picked me because I have some of his drive and enthusiasm, perhaps, but she has managed to... temper me with caution a lot better than she did him.

"Perhaps that shard saw something similar in you as in it's former host and was attracted to you, it is hard to know why and Avatar choose their host, even it is even harder with one such as her."

As for unifying the Traditions, I believe I mentioned my idea for an independent House to you? A diplomatic service to settle disagreements between individuals of different Traditions? Under the circumstances, I suppose adopting the motto 'Arbitratium Vincit Omnia" might risk treading on a few more toes than I previously considered worth the risk?"

"Yes well you might want to avoid that motto."
George said and smiled.
"The idea of such a House though is a good one, it can be very useful and it might bring us all closer together in a peaceful way this time."
He said and nodded approvingly.

He nodded, "You are, of course, completely right, and my desire for forgiveness is not as strong as my desire for not becoming the target of a half-a-millennium-old grudge. Perhaps a deathbed confession could be feasible, but aside from that... no, not a smart thing to do at all."

"No it is not a smart thing to do...if you ever become suicidal for both yourself and your soul then it would be a spectacular way to go about it, but it is not something I would recommend doing no, death bed confession though, perhaps though I am not so sure what good that will do.

Adley:

He'll head up to the north area upstairs as he'd been intending to first, instead of leaning out windows to have a look around to see what they'd been up to while he was away.

You see one of the spider spirits sitting in one of the windows on the north side of the building, though most of the spider spirits do appear to be on the wall outside so it is hard to see much without going out of the building to have a look. The one in the window turn when it sees you and stomp it's little legs enthusiastically. The spider spirit was about as big as an large egg, with eight legs, it was brownings green with some patterns on it's back and quite hairy and it made this chittering sound when it was existed to see you.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:22 am

"We do not want something with a strong arcane connection linked to something at Steelhaven given to another mage, and especially a Marauder Mr Wainwright those things go both ways."
Colin nodded, "No, you're right. It was a stupid idea, kindness notwithstanding..."

"Yes and that is exactly what we want her not to be able to do if the Deacon Council is to be convinced that she is safe to let leave here alive."
"Right, right... forget I suggested it, then."

"I see, well it have happened that Avatars have acted to protect their hosts. I also heard that Miss Adlebloom had been shot, I do hope the young lady is recovering?"
George said.
"It is probably good you where not fully awake to feel the brunt of that rote then, it might have saved your mind some trauma."
Colin smiled, "She's doing quite well in that regard - the trauma left her temporarily blinded, but she sees enough blurs to threaten to strangle me... And yes, my mental absence was probably what sheltered me from the terror. I only recovered awareness for an instant when everything hurt, and then I fainted... Hazarding a guess, though, Mia employed one of my innovations from earlier today - a rote that extracts quintessence from an available source, such as a released spell or a lump of tass, and funnels it into something else, in this case probably some sort of shield, to blunt the impact. It seems to have worked."

"I see, well using pieces of Miss Alexander's own Avatar is better than the alternative and if Master Telar says that such a graft needs to be done then I would trust her, the woman is very good at what she do. Perhaps then your soul have just saved Miss Alexander."
"She is indisputably the best at what she does... though, if we can keep mr. Karyak from getting himself into more trouble, he may yet surpass her."

"Ah yes the siblings involved in that unfortunate business with the Chicago Labyrinth, the young Tytalus who fell and her brother that took her life to save her from the Traditions...so they where Miss Alexander and Mr Roth Hicks then? That do make sense."
He nodded, "The very same... And she fell to save him from gilgul, no less. The Fallen are quite adept at their particularly foul brand of persuasion, it seems."

"It could be used as an argument at least, but since part of Teomim's Avatar did survive, no the Gilgul was not completely successful, usually the shards left are not large enough to start to rebuild themselves, but it could be argued it was a mistake done by the group performing the rite and not something a future incarnation should suffer for...it would be a glorious trial but not one I think you would want to be in the middle of Mr Wainwright."
"Well, part of one of his Avatars, at any rate... I have a small suspicion that might, in fact, have been Julius' last noble act - to secret away a large enough portion of Mia to survive... But no, I would not want that trial."

"That argument was tried in the original trial, the argument that Mia de Napoli's soul was not as guilty, the argument did not win any favor was was rejected on the grounds that Mia de Napoli had willingly joined with her partner and as such was equally guilty and that Heylel had insisted that he be seen as one being, not two."
George explained.
"So no you do not want to put that one to the test young man."
He nodded, "Fair point; precedent would certainly work against me on that one."

"No you do not want to disturb that Avatar, Master Ir lives on Chantry Morningstar though so I would try to avoid him there as well as on Horizon."
Colin looked puzzled for a moment, "I thought he was... ah, I probably misheard. I've had a lot of information to process recently. The location of a given Master who is presently neither a danger nor in danger is of little relevance in mounting strikes against the Fallen. Speaking of which, you'll be pleased to hear we rescued mr. Bergen's daughter in time, rescued an Awakened child to Morningstar, and we're moving in on the troublesome Chicago Labyrinth once I return there - and, er, I might have to do some work in Chicago later, as I arranged a Hit-Mark strike on a Mercere Chantry. In my defense, the place was cleared out and abandoned, and the Nephandi - a group of up to six Masters - had moved in when the Technocrats arrived. With luck, that's six fewer Masters in the Labyrinth when we hit it."

"Narim is indeed a good man and he will serve this Chantry well as it's leader."
George said fondly.
"But yes the Deacon Primus of the Chantry should be told, it is important the leadership know of such a potential complication."
He nodded, "He might not know Teomim as you do, and especially not as I do, but he should probably realize the implications of it."

"Well he certainly was quite a character...brilliant yes but perhaps arrogant...he wanted to matter and in the end matter he did but perhaps not in the way he had originally hoped."
He smiled thinly, "Oh, absolutely arrogant. He was not content with merely being right, he was compelled to show everyone how right he was, too... Understandable in principle, but there's such a thing as going too far... Much too far..."

"The idea of such a House though is a good one, it can be very useful and it might bring us all closer together in a peaceful way this time."
He grinned, "If I can help convince one angry old Diedne that not all Flambeau are murderous scum, I might well stand a chance..."

"No it is not a smart thing to do...if you ever become suicidal for both yourself and your soul then it would be a spectacular way to go about it, but it is not something I would recommend doing no, death bed confession though, perhaps though I am not so sure what good that will do.
"I suppose after a long life, it would be good to get things off my chest, as it were... to plead with them to continue the work they started out with in 1466, when they formed the First Cabal to bring the Traditions together. Whatever accomplishments I make in this life might help, but... well, it might help them, as well, to know that after five centuries, they have the opportunity to forgive a part of Teomim for what he did to them. But it's all very hypothetical, in any case, and it's hard to say whether I'll even get the opportunity for a deathbed confession..."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:03 pm

Colin nodded, "No, you're right. It was a stupid idea, kindness notwithstanding..."

Amadeus' stern expression softened.
"It is not a stupid idea Mr Wainwright and wanting Gloria and her young charge to be safe is a fine and noble thing but it can not be done I am afraid, we are lucky if we are able to save her life."

"Right, right... forget I suggested it, then."

"Very well I will forget it...however I will do what I can to save Gloria's life."
The old Verbena promised.

Colin smiled, "She's doing quite well in that regard - the trauma left her temporarily blinded, but she sees enough blurs to threaten to strangle me...

"Ah I see, well that is good that young Miss Adlebloom is recovering."
George said with a bit of an amused smile.

And yes, my mental absence was probably what sheltered me from the terror. I only recovered awareness for an instant when everything hurt, and then I fainted... Hazarding a guess, though, Mia employed one of my innovations from earlier today - a rote that extracts quintessence from an available source, such as a released spell or a lump of tass, and funnels it into something else, in this case probably some sort of shield, to blunt the impact. It seems to have worked."

"Yes such injuries are unpleasant."
The ancient Hermetic said softly.
"I heard about the rote you had discovered Mr Wainwright most impressive and I am pleased that you managed to use it to save your life and your soul."

"She is indisputably the best at what she does... though, if we can keep mr. Karyak from getting himself into more trouble, he may yet surpass her."

"Ah yes the young Dreamspeaker, I had him as my guest a few minutes ago, he is a passionate one that boy, and talented though at times I think his passions might be more i control than his head."
George said as he nibbled on his scone.
"Have our new Chantry member gotten himself intro trouble?"

He nodded, "The very same... And she fell to save him from gilgul, no less. The Fallen are quite adept at their particularly foul brand of persuasion, it seems."

"Yes they...can be cruel the Fallen, there are no doubt about that."
The old mage said and his blue eyes darkened.
"But we will stop them, at least the ones that operate in Boston...and in Chicago perhaps the siblings souls can find some justice in the knowledge no one else will suffer like they did."

"Well, part of one of his Avatars, at any rate... I have a small suspicion that might, in fact, have been Julius' last noble act - to secret away a large enough portion of Mia to survive... But no, I would not want that trial."

"It very well might be so indeed Mr Wainwright, the grand alchemist would have cared for the Orphan girl he joined with perhaps he managed to save just enough of her to be reborn as a final act of redemption."
He said and regarded you for a moment.
"If so I hope you know to protect and care for that gift his final sacrifice created."

He nodded, "Fair point; precedent would certainly work against me on that one."

The old Guernicus gave you a grim nod in reply.

Colin looked puzzled for a moment, "I thought he was... ah, I probably misheard. I've had a lot of information to process recently. The location of a given Master who is presently neither a danger nor in danger is of little relevance in mounting strikes against the Fallen.

"Morningstar took Master Ir in when no one else would take him, perhaps it is Lady Crexia a powerful old Tytali that is holding her hand over a member of her former House, in either case you are right you do not need to know where every mage in the Traditions live, just be vary if you ever where to meet the man, remember what he is."

Speaking of which, you'll be pleased to hear we rescued mr. Bergen's daughter in time, rescued an Awakened child to Morningstar, and we're moving in on the troublesome Chicago Labyrinth once I return there - and, er, I might have to do some work in Chicago later, as I arranged a Hit-Mark strike on a Mercere Chantry. In my defense, the place was cleared out and abandoned, and the Nephandi - a group of up to six Masters - had moved in when the Technocrats arrived. With luck, that's six fewer Masters in the Labyrinth when we hit it."

"I was given the rapport you and your group have done well to rescue Liv Bergen and the other little Gifted girl. I also heard about the Post Office...yes chances are you will be helping a gaggle of Mercere find a new place to live sometime down the road but I doubt anyone will blame you beyond that though there might be some lectures about trusting Technocrats for you in the future."
The old mage sand and smiled.
"And yes hopefully your actions mean fewer Fallen to deal with, which is a good thing."

He nodded, "He might not know Teomim as you do, and especially not as I do, but he should probably realize the implications of it."

"Narim know Tradition history so he will know the implications of what you tell him...and I do not know Heylel Teomim either...I have met him, once, I was an young Adept then and he was a sight to behold, and off course given my House I followed his trial closely especially since the Hermetic representative to the First Cabal and my old Mentor was brothers, but I did not know him well..."
The old man smiled a little in remembering the time when he was young...or well younger...

He smiled thinly, "Oh, absolutely arrogant. He was not content with merely being right, he was compelled to show everyone how right he was, too... Understandable in principle, but there's such a thing as going too far... Much too far..."

"Indeed Master Teomim meant well, even up until his horrible acts at the end of his life he meant well, but he went to far and he was willing to sacrifice all that makes us human, to protect that which he thought was right, that is a folly but was he just a villain? No I do not think so..."

He grinned, "If I can help convince one angry old Diedne that not all Flambeau are murderous scum, I might well stand a chance..."

"Indeed, and it do seam that Master Nassa and Master Morgan are communicating better now though, sparks still fly, sometimes literary when they have a talk with one another."

"I suppose after a long life, it would be good to get things off my chest, as it were... to plead with them to continue the work they started out with in 1466, when they formed the First Cabal to bring the Traditions together. Whatever accomplishments I make in this life might help, but... well, it might help them, as well, to know that after five centuries, they have the opportunity to forgive a part of Teomim for what he did to them.

"Yes perhaps, though I have a feeling the dream of the First Cabal tied when Heylel betrayed his Cabalmates, there have been many multi Tradition Cabals since then, your own for example but none have had the same goal of unity...but perhaps you can achieve a miracle child...it would be nice if you could, though this old man is not to hopeful, those wounds run deep...very deep, though yes as you say perhaps a chance to give forgiveness will be good for the reincarnations of the other members...if you can find them."

But it's all very hypothetical, in any case, and it's hard to say whether I'll even get the opportunity for a deathbed confession..."

"I at least hope you will have a long and happy life before you have to make such considerations Mr Wainwright, and that no matter what your end eventually will be, that you can leave this life with no regrets."
The old man said kindly and sipped his tea again.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:00 pm

"Very well I will forget it...however I will do what I can to save Gloria's life."
Colin nodded, "You and me both. She... did not deserve the legal trouble she is in."

"Ah I see, well that is good that young Miss Adlebloom is recovering."
"Indeed, I've grown quite fond of... Oh, damn, I forgot to mention that she knows, too. She... rather deserves to know what she's getting into, since she set her sights on me. I don't think it has changed her opinion of me, though she did express some additional worry for my safety."

"I heard about the rote you had discovered Mr Wainwright most impressive and I am pleased that you managed to use it to save your life and your soul."
He smiled, "And more importantly, almost the entire city of Boston, when Chief Morgan and I drained the abomination of a fireball at the Umbral Port. I'm more proud of that one, actually. Once I get the time to do the formal paperwork - I've already got the necessary forms - I'd like to ask your help in properly filing a couple of rotes in Horizon, to get the proper credit for their invention... and then permit the wider distribution of the trick; I think it's too potentially valuable for the Traditions for me to worry about a profit from it."

"Ah yes the young Dreamspeaker, I had him as my guest a few minutes ago, he is a passionate one that boy, and talented though at times I think his passions might be more i control than his head."
George said as he nibbled on his scone.
"Have our new Chantry member gotten himself intro trouble?"
Colin frowned, "Aside from usurping command from a senior Mage on a combat mission, endangering the mission by ordering the healer to tend to a young Barabbus known to one of the team, ordering said senior Mage around as though he were an Initiate, stalling the getaway and thereby endangering his teammates and the rescued hostages by taking the time to savage the Fallen bodies for... trophies, and sending those body parts off with his Shapechanger allies to his external home without considering the possibility of sympathetic links, and then demanding he personally be allowed to keep the Fallen prisoner with him at all times beyond the constraints of common decency, why, no trouble at all... With luck, though, we can still sort this out and get the complaint filed against him to be peacefully retracted, but he's not going to see much trust in the future, I'm afraid... I hope to get his wereshark brother to essentially sit on him when he gets too enthusiastic and starts ignoring laws he doesn't like. If not... I just might be forced to disavow him entirely, with all the consequences that has, because if he goes on trial and my Cabal is considered guilty by association, with the current Senior Enforcer in Boston..."
He grimaced, "Let us hope it doesn't get to that, and that he told his Shapechanger allies to evacuate the house as I ordered him to..."

"But we will stop them, at least the ones that operate in Boston...and in Chicago perhaps the siblings souls can find some justice in the knowledge no one else will suffer like they did."
He nodded, "And not just the twins, either... The leader there, Abigail, has a lot to answer for..."

"If so I hope you know to protect and care for that gift his final sacrifice created."
He smiled, "I think we know to care for and protect one another... She's taken the helm twice now, you know, to keep us both alive when the worst was about to happen... It's nothing I will rely on, of course, but it does feel a little reassuring that she seems to like me enough to try to pull me out of the proverbial fire if I'm not able to myself..."

"Morningstar took Master Ir in when no one else would take him, perhaps it is Lady Crexia a powerful old Tytali that is holding her hand over a member of her former House, in either case you are right you do not need to know where every mage in the Traditions live, just be vary if you ever where to meet the man, remember what he is."
He smiled, "I've actually had the pleasure of meeting Lady Crexia... An interesting conversation when I woke up in the time bubble she'd made for me, after I'd been unconscious for two days. Her, hm, life story is a fascinating one."

"I was given the rapport you and your group have done well to rescue Liv Bergen and the other little Gifted girl. I also heard about the Post Office...yes chances are you will be helping a gaggle of Mercere find a new place to live sometime down the road but I doubt anyone will blame you beyond that though there might be some lectures about trusting Technocrats for you in the future."
Colin smiled wryly, "Even if I have to spend a few weeks laying bricks and setting support beams, it will have been worth it, I think. And as a general rule, I wouldn't trust Technocrats any further than I can throw them - without any magical assistance. But circumstances dictate odd armistices, and even they prefer to work with us to fight the Nephandi than end up in a three-way battle."

"Narim know Tradition history so he will know the implications of what you tell him...and I do not know Heylel Teomim either...I have met him, once, I was an young Adept then and he was a sight to behold, and off course given my House I followed his trial closely especially since the Hermetic representative to the First Cabal and my old Mentor was brothers, but I did not know him well..."
He smiled wistfully, "Ah, yes, Louis... You know, it's kind of funny, I remember his drinks of choice, but not how inclined he was to have one... He was able to calm us a little when the twins were born..."

"Indeed Master Teomim meant well, even up until his horrible acts at the end of his life he meant well, but he went to far and he was willing to sacrifice all that makes us human, to protect that which he thought was right, that is a folly but was he just a villain? No I do not think so..."
He nodded, "A acquaintance of mine once said that the distinction between a Hero and a Villain - capitalized titles, mind you - can be so simple as the same lofty ideal, but the latter adds 'at any cost' to it... Had Teomim been willing to pay the entire cost alone, he could have been the rallying point the Traditions needed, but when he decided that the First Cabal would pay it, too, without consulting them first, that... was where he ultimately steered wrong."

"Indeed, and it do seam that Master Nassa and Master Morgan are communicating better now though, sparks still fly, sometimes literary when they have a talk with one another."
He grimaced, "And that reminds me, I have a request I will make of the Deacon Council... I wish to petition for an early advancement to Adept rank; my very tactile visions of the future, corroborated by the fact that they have given crucial mission intel for events taking place twenty years before said visions, Time should be the appropriate Sphere for that, I think. I will petition for this to... offer shelter to a twelve-year-old girl who may or may not survive the night. She's... a Nephandus, improperly healed after I was forced to shoot her, and I'd already given my word to another that I treat her as mercifully as I can. I am fully aware that there is virtually no chance of a happy ending, however this plays out, but I can't leave her to suffer without anyone to care for her, either. She's currently in no shape to be, well... that, and having her transferred to a cell on Horizon before she is well enough could likely kill her prematurely anyway."
He frowned, "It's a nasty mess I got myself into, regarding her, but... she has nothing left; I killed her Mentor, and the only good thing he ever did, it seems, was shelter her from the rest of the Nephandi; she's remarkably sweet, if a little morbid, and... she simply doesn't deserve facing the end without any kindness."
He shook his head, "I know it's much to ask for, but Chief Morgan will come around to the entire Deacon Council and give a brief summary of the situation before I plead the case before you all..."

"Yes perhaps, though I have a feeling the dream of the First Cabal tied when Heylel betrayed his Cabalmates, there have been many multi Tradition Cabals since then, your own for example but none have had the same goal of unity...but perhaps you can achieve a miracle child...it would be nice if you could, though this old man is not to hopeful, those wounds run deep...very deep, though yes as you say perhaps a chance to give forgiveness will be good for the reincarnations of the other members...if you can find them."
He nodded thoughtfully, "Nothing can ever be completely destroyed, or killed. Hell, I'm living proof, I suppose. The dream of the First Cabal can be revived, but it won't be easy; first, there are numerous grievances that must be addressed, and getting help from survivors or reincarnated members of the First Cabal may be key, to start by reminding them why they banded together in the first place. Fall Breeze might be the best choice to start searching for, if that's the way my path leads; I understand she would have reincarnated with full memory of who she was... If a complicated spiritual journey would be needed to reach her, so be it..."

"I at least hope you will have a long and happy life before you have to make such considerations Mr Wainwright, and that no matter what your end eventually will be, that you can leave this life with no regrets."
He smiled slyly, "I'm pretty much guaranteed twenty years, before a Nephandi battlecruiser explodes around me, if the loop holds true... And I've already started planning three or four contingencies for getting out of that one alive, too... Who knows, perhaps I someday end up following in your footsteps and head out to become a Postulate; that would make for some interesting legal debate, if I were to make a full disclosure before leaving... I don't fear dying with mistakes on my conscience - but I'm terrified of dying with regrets for things I did not do."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:57 pm

You see one of the spider spirits sitting in one of the windows on the north side of the building, though most of the spider spirits do appear to be on the wall outside so it is hard to see much without going out of the building to have a look. The one in the window turn when it sees you and stomp it's little legs enthusiastically. The spider spirit was about as big as an large egg, with eight legs, it was brownings green with some patterns on it's back and quite hairy and it made this chittering sound when it was existed to see you.

"Greetings small one," he said with a small smile at it, though he knew probably they were too 'young' to understand language directly. It at least would get the feelings from him. "What are you doing in here while everyone else is outside, hrm?" he asked, walking carefully over towards the window and the spirit. He put his arm out towards it. "You look a bit fuzzier than your brethren perhaps I will call you Harry for now..." he said more to himself, then inspected the window it was crawling on for anything out of the ordinary.

// Adley responded to Colin, btw Warp just in case you missed it. Unless there wasn't a need for a reply ofc, then nevermind.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:18 pm

Colin nodded, "You and me both. She... did not deserve the legal trouble she is in."

"No she do not deserve the trouble she is in Mr Wainwright, and I will do what I can for her, I promise you that."
Amadeus said and looked away sadly.

"Indeed, I've grown quite fond of... Oh, damn, I forgot to mention that she knows, too. She... rather deserves to know what she's getting into, since she set her sights on me. I don't think it has changed her opinion of me, though she did express some additional worry for my safety."

"Miss Adlebloom is right to worry about your safety Mr Wainwright and I agree, if she is romantically interested in you the young lady deserves to know what she is getting herself into...and I have to say you are fortunate that she have not changed her opinion on you, for while you are a good man child, such a past life can be hard to accept in someone for any mage of the Traditions."

He smiled, "And more importantly, almost the entire city of Boston, when Chief Morgan and I drained the abomination of a fireball at the Umbral Port. I'm more proud of that one, actually. Once I get the time to do the formal paperwork - I've already got the necessary forms - I'd like to ask your help in properly filing a couple of rotes in Horizon, to get the proper credit for their invention... and then permit the wider distribution of the trick; I think it's too potentially valuable for the Traditions for me to worry about a profit from it."

"I heard a report on what happened at the Umbral docks as well Mr Wainwright and yes that is most impressive, and fortunate, you, Master Morgan and your companions saves allot of lives today and you should be proud of that."
The old magus said then he gave you a nod.
"I can help you with the needed paperwork to have the creation of those rotes registered in your name, are you sure you will let those who learn them distribute them freely though? The idea is a noble one yes, but, at the same time a few usable rotes is a good way to ensure a future for yourself and a better standing for yourself in our hierarchy, and a chance like that do not come around often for an Orphan if you do not find me rude for saying so child."

Colin frowned, "Aside from usurping command from a senior Mage on a combat mission, endangering the mission by ordering the healer to tend to a young Barabbus known to one of the team, ordering said senior Mage around as though he were an Initiate, stalling the getaway and thereby endangering his teammates and the rescued hostages by taking the time to savage the Fallen bodies for... trophies, and sending those body parts off with his Shapechanger allies to his external home without considering the possibility of sympathetic links, and then demanding he personally be allowed to keep the Fallen prisoner with him at all times beyond the constraints of common decency, why, no trouble at all...

George watched you as you spoke then he leaned back in his chair and groaned.
"Yes he came here to speak about young Miss Getwater...but what you are telling me here Mr Wainwright these are serious offenses if we can not handle this internally at Steelhaven Mr Karyak will be in very hot water."
He said and shook his head.
"He should perhaps be less concerned with Miss Getwater's defense and worry more about his own."

With luck, though, we can still sort this out and get the complaint filed against him to be peacefully retracted, but he's not going to see much trust in the future, I'm afraid... I hope to get his wereshark brother to essentially sit on him when he gets too enthusiastic and starts ignoring laws he doesn't like. If not... I just might be forced to disavow him entirely, with all the consequences that has, because if he goes on trial and my Cabal is considered guilty by association, with the current Senior Enforcer in Boston..."

"Hopefully we can sort this out in house yes. I would not like to send a member of Steelhaven to trial...getting his brother to watch over him that might help him calm down, for I honestly do not think Mr Karyak have bad intentions, he is just over enthusiastic. But yes with the Senior Enforcer we have in Boston, you do not want your Cabal put in her crosshairs any more than it already is, that might prove dangerous to you all and especially to Miss Alexander and by association to Mr Roth Hicks' new brother."

He grimaced, "Let us hope it doesn't get to that, and that he told his Shapechanger allies to evacuate the house as I ordered him to..."

"Well yes let us hope so for the safety of the shapechangers, if he have taken ehm...trophies from the Nephandi and brought them there then unless they have been properly banished it will be to easy for the Fallen to find his friends."
The old mage said sounding concerned.

He nodded, "And not just the twins, either... The leader there, Abigail, has a lot to answer for..."

"Yes...she and Lisa Larson have to be taken alive, it is a sad thing...but with those two we do not want them to reincarnate again."
George said and he narrowed his eyes as he spoke about it, his voice hard.

He smiled, "I think we know to care for and protect one another... She's taken the helm twice now, you know, to keep us both alive when the worst was about to happen... It's nothing I will rely on, of course, but it does feel a little reassuring that she seems to like me enough to try to pull me out of the proverbial fire if I'm not able to myself..."

The old Hermetic gave a smile at that.
"It is nice you have a good relationship with your Avatar I...was born before souls had to find their own hosts and as such I have a Font...I have never heard my soul speak...I wish I would hear it's words once before I leave...but that is not to be...value that contact you have with her Mr Wainwright...value it."
He said with a longing in his old voice.

He smiled, "I've actually had the pleasure of meeting Lady Crexia... An interesting conversation when I woke up in the time bubble she'd made for me, after I'd been unconscious for two days. Her, hm, life story is a fascinating one."

George smiled.
"Yes she is a fascinating lady and a maga of untold power, she makes a good friend but is not someone you want to cross."
He warned.

Colin smiled wryly, "Even if I have to spend a few weeks laying bricks and setting support beams, it will have been worth it, I think. And as a general rule, I wouldn't trust Technocrats any further than I can throw them - without any magical assistance. But circumstances dictate odd armistices, and even they prefer to work with us to fight the Nephandi than end up in a three-way battle."

"I agree with your choice in the given situation Mr Wainwright I am just saying that you might get a few lectures and reprimands and perhaps a task in helping the Mercere Covenant find a new place to live, but other than that I doubt you will get many legal issues, but yes do be careful with Union men we are at war after all, but at times, even strange allies are needed to take down the Nephandi."

He smiled wistfully, "Ah, yes, Louis... You know, it's kind of funny, I remember his drinks of choice, but not how inclined he was to have one... He was able to calm us a little when the twins were born..."

"Ah yes wine sweetened with honey...I never saw my uncle drunk but he did like to enjoy a few simple pleasures now and again, but he was very conscious of his role as a Quesitor he never lost control over himself, he was a stern but fair man, with a kind smile, he was much younger than my Mentor and I remember he would sneak me treats when my old teacher where particularly harsh in his lessons."
George said and for a moment he sat there with a faraway look in his eyes as he remembered his days as a young student.
"Ah forgive me child...at times the call of old memories are hard to resist."
He muttered apologetically.

He nodded, "A acquaintance of mine once said that the distinction between a Hero and a Villain - capitalized titles, mind you - can be so simple as the same lofty ideal, but the latter adds 'at any cost' to it... Had Teomim been willing to pay the entire cost alone, he could have been the rallying point the Traditions needed, but when he decided that the First Cabal would pay it, too, without consulting them first, that... was where he ultimately steered wrong."

"I guess Master Teomim did not find another way to become a monster for the entire Traditions to rally against than to do the unthinkable and betray his Cabal...it do not make it right, but the man was desperate to find a way to keep the Traditions together and avoid us joining the Order of Reason as many advocated for...but yes the adding of at any cost is often what separate a villain and a hero you are right about that young man."
The old Guernicus said and nodded.

He grimaced, "And that reminds me, I have a request I will make of the Deacon Council... I wish to petition for an early advancement to Adept rank; my very tactile visions of the future, corroborated by the fact that they have given crucial mission intel for events taking place twenty years before said visions, Time should be the appropriate Sphere for that, I think. I will petition for this to... offer shelter to a twelve-year-old girl who may or may not survive the night. She's... a Nephandus, improperly healed after I was forced to shoot her, and I'd already given my word to another that I treat her as mercifully as I can. I am fully aware that there is virtually no chance of a happy ending, however this plays out, but I can't leave her to suffer without anyone to care for her, either. She's currently in no shape to be, well... that, and having her transferred to a cell on Horizon before she is well enough could likely kill her prematurely anyway."

"Hum...there are some precedence for early advancement to Adept degree let me think, a Martin Hermans√łnn got such a promotion after he showed he could control a massive storm once, his goal to be able to train his sister after their Mentor died before her apprenticeship was completed...the early advancement was granted...I do think I have some information on the case in a book somewhere..."
George said and stood and begun to rummage through one of his over filled book cages, he stopped and turned around to look at you when you spoke about the rest of your request though.
"You want to apprentice...a Nephandus...you are aware what most likely will happen to her and that doing so will sully your name as well...this will not end well and over time you will come to care for the child only to loose her in such a way...that is not pleasant..."
He warned.

He frowned, "It's a nasty mess I got myself into, regarding her, but... she has nothing left; I killed her Mentor, and the only good thing he ever did, it seems, was shelter her from the rest of the Nephandi; she's remarkably sweet, if a little morbid, and... she simply doesn't deserve facing the end without any kindness."

George regarded you for a while then he sigh.
"No it is hard to leave a child in such a situation alone...but you are taking on a huge responsibility, and if she breaks free and do something stupid you will be held responsible for it if she is your apprentice...and I have to repeat myself and say, you are aware that her chances are not good?"
He said sounding serious and doubtful.

He shook his head, "I know it's much to ask for, but Chief Morgan will come around to the entire Deacon Council and give a brief summary of the situation before I plead the case before you all..."

The archmage hesitated then he sigh.
"If this is what you want Mr Wainwright, and if the Deacon Council agree I will help you get that promotion if at all possible, it is tricky since seeing the past and the future is the domain the the Initiate of Time while manipulating it is the domain of the Adept, but we might be able to work something out...if it is to offer last comforts to a suffering child...I can not say no."

He nodded thoughtfully, "Nothing can ever be completely destroyed, or killed. Hell, I'm living proof, I suppose. The dream of the First Cabal can be revived, but it won't be easy; first, there are numerous grievances that must be addressed, and getting help from survivors or reincarnated members of the First Cabal may be key, to start by reminding them why they banded together in the first place. Fall Breeze might be the best choice to start searching for, if that's the way my path leads; I understand she would have reincarnated with full memory of who she was... If a complicated spiritual journey would be needed to reach her, so be it..."

"Perhaps you are right...your own existence are proof that miracles happen Mr Wainwright."
The old Hermetic said.
"But such an endeavor would neither be easy nor safe and there is then a big chance someone will discover your secret, so I can not recommend it."
He cautioned.
"Yes the Akashic Brotherhood have methods to ensure full and complete reincarnations, so instead of a new life, the same person is reborn, so Fall Breeze is a member of the Brotherhood today and can be contacted but again...that would not be safe for you."

He smiled slyly, "I'm pretty much guaranteed twenty years, before a Nephandi battlecruiser explodes around me, if the loop holds true... And I've already started planning three or four contingencies for getting out of that one alive, too... Who knows, perhaps I someday end up following in your footsteps and head out to become a Postulate; that would make for some interesting legal debate, if I were to make a full disclosure before leaving... I don't fear dying with mistakes on my conscience - but I'm terrified of dying with regrets for things I did not do."

"No Mr Wainwright you are not guaranteed anything, you have had a vision but you also have free will, you can change your fate for the better or for the worst, never assume that your visions are an armor that prevent you from getting hurt, they are not."
The old mage cautioned.
"Well in either case I agree regrets are worse than mistakes, I have a few of them, not many but a few...as for becoming a Postulant...well time will tell if I will be found worthy, and if you one day feel the call to go out there and leave the physical world behind and find the Oracles, then I wish you good luck child, we all have to follow our own paths."

(OOC: Let us hope Coawa do not take that sitting on Tane to literary, his war for is a Megaladon after all, that will be one flat mage. Razz )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:28 pm

"Greetings small one," he said with a small smile at it, though he knew probably they were too 'young' to understand language directly. It at least would get the feelings from him. "What are you doing in here while everyone else is outside, hrm?" he asked, walking carefully over towards the window and the spirit. He put his arm out towards it. "You look a bit fuzzier than your brethren perhaps I will call you Harry for now..." he said more to himself, then inspected the window it was crawling on for anything out of the ordinary.

The spider looks at you and chitter again, it do not seam to understand what you where saying but it was pleased to see you and it stomped it's hairy legs much like it's ehm...mother usually did. The spider walked slowly over onto your hand and sat there, his legs felt slightly ticklish. You see in the windowsill there is a tiny flower painted porcelain plate, you recognize it as part of the doll tea kit that little Jane Cole often are seen playing with, on top of the plate there was a single dead fly, the little Chorister had probably left the plate there with a fly she had found as an offering to her new little friends. Harry looked at you with his faceted eyes and chittered contentedly and begun to spin a web on your hand.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:57 pm

((OOC: Oopsie.))

"You can still try, though it seems I need to follow up on something there regardless. Something I prefer not to speak of in the hall, so if you wish to discuss it let me know before we leave." Then he paused before adding, "Thank you though for saying that, though. It means a lot to me," he said, giving him a nod and a smile. "Anyway, just give me a ring or find me..."
Colin nodded, "If you wish to discuss it, you'll do so when you think it wise. I'll give you a ring before I head for the portal chamber."

"Miss Adlebloom is right to worry about your safety Mr Wainwright and I agree, if she is romantically interested in you the young lady deserves to know what she is getting herself into...and I have to say you are fortunate that she have not changed her opinion on you, for while you are a good man child, such a past life can be hard to accept in someone for any mage of the Traditions."
Colin grinned, slightly sheepishly, "Oh, I know I'm lucky..."

"I can help you with the needed paperwork to have the creation of those rotes registered in your name, are you sure you will let those who learn them distribute them freely though? The idea is a noble one yes, but, at the same time a few usable rotes is a good way to ensure a future for yourself and a better standing for yourself in our hierarchy, and a chance like that do not come around often for an Orphan if you do not find me rude for saying so child."
He smiled, "The, hm, meta-rote which permits the safe extraction of quintessence - it might make me merely wealthy if I'm a careful with how widespread it gets in the short run. However, I think the sheer usefulness of a widely distributed rote to enable the safe use of highly resonated tass - qlippothic tass in particular - will have the potential to save more Mages than I can quite readily imagine. And I expect that will give me some academic renown that can open a lot more doors than mere wealth. It may sound shrewd and cynical, I suppose, but... I'll have other novel rotes that will have a more modest impact on the Traditions as a whole."

"Yes he came here to speak about young Miss Getwater...but what you are telling me here Mr Wainwright these are serious offenses if we can not handle this internally at Steelhaven Mr Karyak will be in very hot water."
He said and shook his head.
"He should perhaps be less concerned with Miss Getwater's defense and worry more about his own."
He nodded, "I mean to present him with a simple form of the Protocols, and explain what he's broken, and show him The Fragile Path to explain what the worst that can happen is. Coawa, I think, will have the predator's instinct of when an enemy is too big to challenge. That can be the best protection mr. Karyak can ask for. I've convinced the, er, plaintiffs in the matter to withdraw their formal complaints pending a full apology from mr. Karyak, though they won't want to work with him again any time soon."

"Hopefully we can sort this out in house yes. I would not like to send a member of Steelhaven to trial...getting his brother to watch over him that might help him calm down, for I honestly do not think Mr Karyak have bad intentions, he is just over enthusiastic. But yes with the Senior Enforcer we have in Boston, you do not want your Cabal put in her crosshairs any more than it already is, that might prove dangerous to you all and especially to Miss Alexander and by association to Mr Roth Hicks' new brother."
"Precisely my concerns. Had it only been mr. Karyak who was put at risk by his actions, it is quite likely I would have given Chief Morgan my blessings to take any punitive action he would want, but as it is... if I can deescalate the matter an deal with it as an internal Cabal concern, that can protect everyone."

"It is nice you have a good relationship with your Avatar I...was born before souls had to find their own hosts and as such I have a Font...I have never heard my soul speak...I wish I would hear it's words once before I leave...but that is not to be...value that contact you have with her Mr Wainwright...value it."
Colin arched an eyebrow, his mouth curling halfway up in a smile, "Well, that just might be something mr. Karyak could help you with, actually - it's rather an... intimidating thing to behold, but he's sung Avatars from their hosts, and he just might be able to, er, find your song, as it were. Whether you would want to try that, of course, is entirely up to you; it seems like it might be awfully intimate..."

"Yes she is a fascinating lady and a maga of untold power, she makes a good friend but is not someone you want to cross."
He grinned, "I have a nasty suspicion she's received more than her fair share of daggers in the back - literally and figuratively - and none of them stuck, so to say. Yes, I would court an amicable working relationship with her, or leave her in peace. Safer for everyone that way."

"I agree with your choice in the given situation Mr Wainwright I am just saying that you might get a few lectures and reprimands and perhaps a task in helping the Mercere Covenant find a new place to live, but other than that I doubt you will get many legal issues, but yes do be careful with Union men we are at war after all, but at times, even strange allies are needed to take down the Nephandi."
He nodded, "In summary, Sir, we encountered two Technocrats on the street; they were investigating the Nephandic magic at the Mercere Chantry. If we'd killed them then and there, the Union might have sent in a Hit-Mark team at a time we had no way of knowing. If we'd trust them to want the Nephandi dead more than they wanted us dead, they might send in that team at a timing of our choosing. Or, if we were unlucky, they might send the team in early. Those were really the three realistic outcomes of that moment, so obviously, I had to go with the option that at least gave us a chance to control the timing... Had I not known there was a second Nephandi strike team waiting in the Umbra, however... well, then there might be two less Technocrats on the street, and a few more dead Magi in Chicago..."

"Ah forgive me child...at times the call of old memories are hard to resist."
Colin smiled, "Nothing to forgive, Sir... At least you lived through those memories yourself in the first place... My memories of the man are from a literally different life, when I wore another person's skin, so to speak."

"You want to apprentice...a Nephandus...you are aware what most likely will happen to her and that doing so will sully your name as well...this will not end well and over time you will come to care for the child only to loose her in such a way...that is not pleasant..."
Colin nodded slowly, "I gave my word to be as merciful as possible; I'm not backing out on that... I just had not envisioned that I'd shoot her, only for her partner to improperly heal her and leave her for the ambulance... and then that I would effectively abduct her from the hospital. If I am... lucky... she will die from her injuries before dawn. But I have to make preparations as though she'll survive for a little while longer... Getting a mark against my name... that, I think, I can endure; I'd like to think a fair number of the Traditions can look at the matter with at least a measure of sympathy for... a doomed little girl."

"No it is hard to leave a child in such a situation alone...but you are taking on a huge responsibility, and if she breaks free and do something stupid you will be held responsible for it if she is your apprentice...and I have to repeat myself and say, you are aware that her chances are not good?"
He nodded again, "I'm already looking into some manner of restraint - something like perhaps a collar functioning like the restraining handcuffs; that should be sufficient to inhibit her magic, at least. And yes, I'm aware that her... best chance is dying from her injuries before the inevitable sentence can be executed."

"If this is what you want Mr Wainwright, and if the Deacon Council agree I will help you get that promotion if at all possible, it is tricky since seeing the past and the future is the domain the the Initiate of Time while manipulating it is the domain of the Adept, but we might be able to work something out...if it is to offer last comforts to a suffering child...I can not say no."
He sighed, "Want? No, what I would want is to not feel compelled to take on this burden... but I'm not getting out of that, so I'll have to make it as clean a fight as I can. As for seeing the future... it's a little more than just seeing it. I'm there - aware that I'm present at two points in the timeline at once; tactile and olfactory senses as well as sight and sound. I could describe the smell of the air around the house where miss Adlebloom and I have settled down on Horizon, some twenty years in the future, or what the Verbena clinic there will smell like in about two months... It seems a little more complex than merely seeing the future or the past."

"But such an endeavor would neither be easy nor safe and there is then a big chance someone will discover your secret, so I can not recommend it."
He nodded, "It would require a great deal of, hm, finesse to pull it off like that, true - still, I think the potential benefits of trying might outweigh the risks. Though that's a calculation that will have to be constantly reviewed in any case."

"Yes the Akashic Brotherhood have methods to ensure full and complete reincarnations, so instead of a new life, the same person is reborn, so Fall Breeze is a member of the Brotherhood today and can be contacted but again...that would not be safe for you."
"Indeed... We shall have to wait and watch carefully, I suppose. My ambition remains, and I'm fortunately conscious of how carefully I must tread to reach it - and that the potentially strongest allies are the equally potentially strongest enemies."

"No Mr Wainwright you are not guaranteed anything, you have had a vision but you also have free will, you can change your fate for the better or for the worst, never assume that your visions are an armor that prevent you from getting hurt, they are not."
He nodded, "If he loop holds true, as I said... If it does... I will still be hurt, several times over, before it's all done. Those visions are... not an armour, but they do form an approximate line to steer by. Hopefully, I will be a little older, stronger and wiser by then..."

((OOC2: Well, that would at least keep Tane from getting himself into more trouble...))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:47 pm

Colin grinned, slightly sheepishly, "Oh, I know I'm lucky..."

George gave you a warm smile at that.
"Be good to her young man."

He smiled, "The, hm, meta-rote which permits the safe extraction of quintessence - it might make me merely wealthy if I'm a careful with how widespread it gets in the short run. However, I think the sheer usefulness of a widely distributed rote to enable the safe use of highly resonated tass - qlippothic tass in particular - will have the potential to save more Mages than I can quite readily imagine. And I expect that will give me some academic renown that can open a lot more doors than mere wealth. It may sound shrewd and cynical, I suppose, but... I'll have other novel rotes that will have a more modest impact on the Traditions as a whole."

"Well yes you probably would get some academic recognition, perhaps even an featured article in the Paradigma if you are lucky and that could indeed open some doors for you Mr Wainwright, and it is a noble thing you are doing forsaking wealth to help the Traditions, as long as you are sure that is what you want to do with your discovery."
The archmage said and nodded approvingly.

He nodded, "I mean to present him with a simple form of the Protocols, and explain what he's broken, and show him The Fragile Path to explain what the worst that can happen is.

"Well Mr Karyak can not end up quite that badly off, the worst thing that can happen is Branding, not that it is not bad enough..."
George said and sigh before taking another sip of his tea.

Coawa, I think, will have the predator's instinct of when an enemy is too big to challenge. That can be the best protection mr. Karyak can ask for. I've convinced the, er, plaintiffs in the matter to withdraw their formal complaints pending a full apology from mr. Karyak, though they won't want to work with him again any time soon."

"Well I can understand their reservations Mr Wainwright...such behavior in the field is always dangerous. And yes hopefully Mr Coawa are able to talk some sense into his brother and keep our young Dreamspeaker out of more trouble. I would like I said prefer to keep this problem confined to Steelhaven Hall and hopefully that will be doable with the young fera's help."

"Precisely my concerns. Had it only been mr. Karyak who was put at risk by his actions, it is quite likely I would have given Chief Morgan my blessings to take any punitive action he would want, but as it is... if I can deescalate the matter an deal with it as an internal Cabal concern, that can protect everyone."

"Yes and protecting your Cabal have to be one of your chief concerns as their leader, well hopefully we can sort this whole mess out but do make sure Mr Karyak understand the seriousness in this situation."
The old mage said sternly.
"And what the consequences for those around him could be."

Colin arched an eyebrow, his mouth curling halfway up in a smile, "Well, that just might be something mr. Karyak could help you with, actually - it's rather an... intimidating thing to behold, but he's sung Avatars from their hosts, and he just might be able to, er, find your song, as it were. Whether you would want to try that, of course, is entirely up to you; it seems like it might be awfully intimate..."

George hesitated.
"I...am not sure if I could be that intimate with someone, especially someone I hardly know Mr Wainwright, and I also do not want to force my Fount into doing something, if it is silent there is probably a reason for it, and I do not want my longing to hear it's voice to be reason enough to manhandle it into show itself to me. It is more that I envy you modern mages and your deep connections with your Avatars...I know intellectually that mine have a mind of it's own, but in effect it is just a bit of spirit that connect me to the Quintessence pool, a Fount of magick if you will."
The ancient mage said a bit regretfully.
"But it is what it is and it have never felt the need to talk to me, even if I deeply wish that it had...but that do not give me the right to force it."

He grinned, "I have a nasty suspicion she's received more than her fair share of daggers in the back - literally and figuratively - and none of them stuck, so to say. Yes, I would court an amicable working relationship with her, or leave her in peace. Safer for everyone that way."

"Lady Crexia have been a politician for far longer than I have lived, she have seen her share of betrayal, but yes she can be a good friend, and a terrifying enemy."
George said and nodded.

He nodded, "In summary, Sir, we encountered two Technocrats on the street; they were investigating the Nephandic magic at the Mercere Chantry. If we'd killed them then and there, the Union might have sent in a Hit-Mark team at a time we had no way of knowing. If we'd trust them to want the Nephandi dead more than they wanted us dead, they might send in that team at a timing of our choosing. Or, if we were unlucky, they might send the team in early. Those were really the three realistic outcomes of that moment, so obviously, I had to go with the option that at least gave us a chance to control the timing... Had I not known there was a second Nephandi strike team waiting in the Umbra, however... well, then there might be two less Technocrats on the street, and a few more dead Magi in Chicago..."

"That do seam reasonable enough."
George said and nodded.
"I am sure there will be a summons to explain your actions before a Tribunal, but any rebuttal should be minor, you made a good choice."

Colin smiled, "Nothing to forgive, Sir... At least you lived through those memories yourself in the first place... My memories of the man are from a literally different life, when I wore another person's skin, so to speak."

"Yes well I find that the older I become the more I live in the past with memories, good and bad and with those that are no longer with us, perhaps that is a sign I am getting old."
George said with a bit of a smile.
"Well it is what it is."

Colin nodded slowly, "I gave my word to be as merciful as possible; I'm not backing out on that... I just had not envisioned that I'd shoot her, only for her partner to improperly heal her and leave her for the ambulance... and then that I would effectively abduct her from the hospital. If I am... lucky... she will die from her injuries before dawn. But I have to make preparations as though she'll survive for a little while longer... Getting a mark against my name... that, I think, I can endure; I'd like to think a fair number of the Traditions can look at the matter with at least a measure of sympathy for... a doomed little girl."

"I can imagine that it have been hard, and it is not a good situation you now find yourself in child."
The old mage said and sigh.
"Yes it would probably be easier for everyone if this little Nephandi girl dies but if she do not and if the Deacon Council agree I will do what I can so you can make her end...a little better...I can even contact the Mercere if you want...see if they might be willing to...take her in after she is...well you know what will happen to her eventually."
He said sadly.
"And yes some might look at what you do for the child as a good thing Mr Wainwright, but do remember that compassion very often comes with a cost."

He nodded again, "I'm already looking into some manner of restraint - something like perhaps a collar functioning like the restraining handcuffs; that should be sufficient to inhibit her magic, at least. And yes, I'm aware that her... best chance is dying from her injuries before the inevitable sentence can be executed."

"Hum...well such a talisman is possible to create but it would be time consuming and expensive to have done...cuffs is a possibility but a young female are likely to be able to get out of a set of those unless they are placed rather tightly...and then we have that serum that is made based on some of the Union's recopies...that is also and option...but yes getting to know her and then loose her will not be easy for you...be very aware of what you are getting yourself into."

He sighed, "Want? No, what I would want is to not feel compelled to take on this burden... but I'm not getting out of that, so I'll have to make it as clean a fight as I can.

The old mage nodded solemnly at that.
"I understand..."
He muttered.

As for seeing the future... it's a little more than just seeing it. I'm there - aware that I'm present at two points in the timeline at once; tactile and olfactory senses as well as sight and sound. I could describe the smell of the air around the house where miss Adlebloom and I have settled down on Horizon, some twenty years in the future, or what the Verbena clinic there will smell like in about two months... It seems a little more complex than merely seeing the future or the past."

"Well the details of the visions are not relevant really, it do not matter if it is a simple Tarot reading or if the scene is manifested before you. However from what you have told me before it might sound like a future you is connecting to you across time...that is something else and that is what an Adept is able to do...there have to be more than a vision, there have to be some form of communication or ability to change events through these episodes."
George explained.

He nodded, "It would require a great deal of, hm, finesse to pull it off like that, true - still, I think the potential benefits of trying might outweigh the risks. Though that's a calculation that will have to be constantly reviewed in any case."

The old Hermetic frowned.
"Well when you contact the first of them you sort of loose the chance to constantly review the risk Mr Wainwright, when the cat is out of the bag that is it. I can help you get into contact with Fall Breeze but...be very sure you want to take that risk before you act, for once that secret of yours is spread...that is it, then the avalanche start and the only thing you can hope for is to not get crushed.

"Indeed... We shall have to wait and watch carefully, I suppose. My ambition remains, and I'm fortunately conscious of how carefully I must tread to reach it - and that the potentially strongest allies are the equally potentially strongest enemies."

"Just be careful not to bite over more than you can chew...you are treading onto dangerous ground, be cautious."
George urged you.

He nodded, "If he loop holds true, as I said... If it does... I will still be hurt, several times over, before it's all done. Those visions are... not an armour, but they do form an approximate line to steer by. Hopefully, I will be a little older, stronger and wiser by then..."

"Just do not get to caught up in your loop Mr Wainwright, your visions are a useful tool, but they should not be a prison dictating your actions...use them but do not let them use you."
The old Hermetic advices.

(OOC: Yes well if a Megaladon sit on him Tane will be out of trouble until his next incarnation.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 pm

Colin nodded, "If you wish to discuss it, you'll do so when you think it wise. I'll give you a ring before I head for the portal chamber."

"Sounds good, see you soon," he said and then went on his way upstairs.

The spider looks at you and chitter again, it do not seam to understand what you where saying but it was pleased to see you and it stomped it's hairy legs much like it's ehm...mother usually did. The spider walked slowly over onto your hand and sat there, his legs felt slightly ticklish. You see in the windowsill there is a tiny flower painted porcelain plate, you recognize it as part of the doll tea kit that little Jane Cole often are seen playing with, on top of the plate there was a single dead fly, the little Chorister had probably left the plate there with a fly she had found as an offering to her new little friends. Harry looked at you with his faceted eyes and chittered contentedly and begun to spin a web on your hand.

"Well my eight legged friend, it seems you have been welcomed at least. That is good," he said noting the plate. "Let's see if you are all crawling about with some purpose or if I might find something you would enjoy doing until I call on you, shall we?" He watched curiously as the earth elemental made a web and smiled. "Beautiful..." Cautiously, he tried to determine if the swarm were trying to fix or preserve something already or were amusing themselves until needed and if the wards looked good, or improving if they were being enhanced by the Cheif.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:55 pm

"Well my eight legged friend, it seems you have been welcomed at least. That is good," he said noting the plate. "Let's see if you are all crawling about with some purpose or if I might find something you would enjoy doing until I call on you, shall we?"

Harry looked up at you, the little gaffling probably did not understand a word you where saying but he could hear the sound of your voice, then he went back to spinning, concentrated and meticulous a finely patterned web.

He watched curiously as the earth elemental made a web and smiled. "Beautiful..." Cautiously, he tried to determine if the swarm were trying to fix or preserve something already or were amusing themselves until needed and if the wards looked good, or improving if they were being enhanced by the Cheif.

Steelhaven Hall was an old building and some of the bricks it was made of was old and cracked, only there where no more cracked bricks on the portion of the wall the little elementals were spinning her web on, all of them moving in unison, other than Harry that had sort of separated from the swarm, the mass of little elementals seamed to be fixing cracks in the apartment building's bricks, perhaps not the most impressive task but they would preserve things they got into contact with, that was their whole purpose for being. The wards looked good and while it was hard to tell for sure yes it did seam like they where growing stronger which was probably the work of your Mentor and they formed a fair shield around the Chantry...and off course there was also the sickening, strange unweaving of reality where Beatrice had warded the windows...the rotes where skillfully made, but they where Qliphothic and while you would not have noticed that before,not that you knew what to look for you saw how her wards was made by destroying the possibility that the protection was not in place, rather than by creating a protection, never the less those plus your Mentor's and yours now strengtehened wards should offer quite a bit of protection.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:52 pm

"Be good to her young man."
Colin smiled, "I will do my very best."

"Well yes you probably would get some academic recognition, perhaps even an featured article in the Paradigma if you are lucky and that could indeed open some doors for you Mr Wainwright, and it is a noble thing you are doing forsaking wealth to help the Traditions, as long as you are sure that is what you want to do with your discovery."
He nodded, "The rote can permit a Mage to burn off qlippothic Tass directly and without any residual resonance, rather than process it through their own Avatar. If I can spare only one Mage from contracting Jhor that way, it will be worth it. Besides, I have other tricks I can make a little profit from..."

"Well Mr Karyak can not end up quite that badly off, the worst thing that can happen is Branding, not that it is not bad enough..."
He soured a little, "He's not in that much trouble yet - but if he keeps ignoring laws he doesn't like, he's going to meet a very bad end..."

"Yes and protecting your Cabal have to be one of your chief concerns as their leader, well hopefully we can sort this whole mess out but do make sure Mr Karyak understand the seriousness in this situation."
The old mage said sternly.
"And what the consequences for those around him could be."
He nodded grimly, "Hence The Fragile Path... We snagged miss Alexander from the jaws of oblivion once, and there's yet a chance for Chief Morgan's new apprentice... but if mr. Karyak paints us all in a bad light, we might not be so lucky."

"I...am not sure if I could be that intimate with someone, especially someone I hardly know Mr Wainwright, and I also do not want to force my Fount into doing something, if it is silent there is probably a reason for it, and I do not want my longing to hear it's voice to be reason enough to manhandle it into show itself to me. It is more that I envy you modern mages and your deep connections with your Avatars...I know intellectually that mine have a mind of it's own, but in effect it is just a bit of spirit that connect me to the Quintessence pool, a Fount of magick if you will."
Colin nodded, "I do not particularly want to, ah, try to lure my Avatar out in public, either. I entertained the idea before she... came out of her shell, but not any more. As for forcing your Fount to do something like that - it seems to be more of an invitation to come out and play than forcibly dragging the Avatar out; I doubt that part would be any different with a Fount."

"But it is what it is and it have never felt the need to talk to me, even if I deeply wish that it had...but that do not give me the right to force it."
He arched an eyebrow, "This is probably a rather silly question, but have you tried talking to it during your meditations?"

"I am sure there will be a summons to explain your actions before a Tribunal, but any rebuttal should be minor, you made a good choice."
He nodded, "I expect there will be a summons. I'm not sure how much more than a reprimand the Chicago Tribunal would be legally within rights to give me, mind, without some diplomatic work with the Boston Tribunal... But frankly, I don't think I want to find out."

"Yes well I find that the older I become the more I live in the past with memories, good and bad and with those that are no longer with us, perhaps that is a sign I am getting old."
"Perhaps we all indulge in our stronger memories when the present fails to adequately stimulate our minds. You have a vast treasure trove of memories to fall back on, and I expect the peace and quiet of the present can be too quiet at times... It might be less a sign of getting old, and more a sign of having lived greatly."

"Yes it would probably be easier for everyone if this little Nephandi girl dies but if she do not and if the Deacon Council agree I will do what I can so you can make her end...a little better...I can even contact the Mercere if you want...see if they might be willing to...take her in after she is...well you know what will happen to her eventually."
He nodded, "As it is... she is unlikely to survive any attempt on her Avatar, due to pattern damage to heart and lungs. It might be years before she's well enough to... well... Even then she might not survive the trauma. But if it comes to that... it will be her choice; I'll not make that for her, though she sees me as her last, best hope to keep her magic. She may be right in that regard..."

"And yes some might look at what you do for the child as a good thing Mr Wainwright, but do remember that compassion very often comes with a cost."
"I find that there's always a price to pay for compassion. In most cases, it's just not as steep as the cost of ignoring it. As the Verbena might put it, a seed of kindness can grow into a mighty, branching tree..."

"Hum...well such a talisman is possible to create but it would be time consuming and expensive to have done...cuffs is a possibility but a young female are likely to be able to get out of a set of those unless they are placed rather tightly...and then we have that serum that is made based on some of the Union's recopies...that is also and option...but yes getting to know her and then loose her will not be easy for you...be very aware of what you are getting yourself into."
"Possibly years of work, fear, stress, concern, scorn and grief... and a chance - a very, very slim, almost nonexistent chance - of bringing a Nephandus back to the light before she is dragged into the Sentencing Hall..."

"I understand..."
He smiled sadly, "You've... had a similar situation of your own, Sir?"

"Well the details of the visions are not relevant really, it do not matter if it is a simple Tarot reading or if the scene is manifested before you. However from what you have told me before it might sound like a future you is connecting to you across time...that is something else and that is what an Adept is able to do...there have to be more than a vision, there have to be some form of communication or ability to change events through these episodes."
Colin nodded, pondering, "I had agency, does that count for anything? I made conscious decisions, such as giving miss Alexander a piggyback ride through the streets of Concordia, or volunteering for kitchen duty at the Verbena clinic... And in one of those future conversations, an old friend reminded me of how I had told him about the rogue Technocrat cyborg we met on the rescue mission for miss Bergen - information without which I might not have survived..."

"Well when you contact the first of them you sort of loose the chance to constantly review the risk Mr Wainwright, when the cat is out of the bag that is it. I can help you get into contact with Fall Breeze but...be very sure you want to take that risk before you act, for once that secret of yours is spread...that is it, then the avalanche start and the only thing you can hope for is to not get crushed.
"Ah, I think we talked past one another - I was referring to the risks involved in a diplomatic House, not in contacting the First Cabal... Yes, contacting Fall Breeze would likely be the simplest part of finding the First Cabal, but as you say, if I were to do so, the genie can't be put back into the lamp."

"Just be careful not to bite over more than you can chew...you are treading onto dangerous ground, be cautious."
He smiled thinly, "I seldom act without at least quickly gauging the dangers involved, and the potential benefits. Occasionally, those estimates are rushed, but even that is better than not considering risks at all... I will be cautious."

"Just do not get to caught up in your loop Mr Wainwright, your visions are a useful tool, but they should not be a prison dictating your actions...use them but do not let them use you."
He nodded, "For the causal loop with the Battlecruiser to stay closed, for that vision to stay true, Beatrice Alexander must die defending Steelhaven Hall from the Technocracy sometime over the next few years... I will tell her of that vision, and she will have the choice of whether to stay and fight, or flee and live. Unlike Teomim, I don't think I have anything resembling the right to make that decision for her - and whatever she chooses, I'll support her. If her reincarnation Handling a Nephandic Battlecruiser won't come to pass on account of her still being alive, there will still be another possibility. Probably more. All I have to do is to find one that can save Horizon... My own survival will be a bonus, but ultimately, I will be... expendable."
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:44 am

He wasn't sure what the little spirit was webbing in aid of, unless it was the window he'd been standing on before or for one of the bricks but it was a delicate and beautiful process to watch. It was also nice to see the wards stronger and though he was not sure how he could have missed the inverted nature of Bee's workings, he assumed they would do their job.

Perhaps this is what he needed to alleviate a modicum of the frustration, sadness and anger - five or so minutes with something to ground him, like watching the glittering little spiderlings at their work on the building or just giving them the welcome he had wanted to, when they first arrived. Of course, spirits did not understand time just their natures. Or perhaps they saw through the illusion of it, as a Cultist or temporally inclined magus might see...the illusion that manifested human beings generally required on a day-to-day basis. It was, he felt, probably partly why Beatrice was having such a damned awful time not thinking she was still having her avatar attacked every second she was awake...traumatic things had a way of breaking that barrier too and it involved the highest part of her spirit. At least she was resting for the moment.

He knew that the gaffling was not exactly understanding his words, no matter the language, even Enochian. It was the same habit that people had when talking to their pets. Somehow there was a transference of some meaning, even if it was not precise, feelings and actions combining to make up the gaps. "It seems you have your work cut out for you...be careful of the windows, one of them may have a nasty trap," he told him, thinking about Bergen's room and unsure if it was still that way. "I don't suppose if you saw the wards needed a touch up, you'd know what to do?" he mused, watching it spin it's web.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:01 am

Adley:

The little spider spirit looked up at you when you spoke and made that chittering noise again, a very soft sort of clicking and continued spinning a web between your fingers making a complex network of geometric figures as it spun, moving a little now and again so it could get the threads exactly where it wanted them. Outside his little friends continued repairing the wall, slowly it was not like the building would look new in an hour but ever so slowly they preserved the bricks a few at the time, perfectly happy with their work.

Behind you there is a soft sound and you hear a little voice that say.
"The spiders are boring, they only work and will not play with us..."
You see one of your Mentor's imps, not Poodle this time, but a slightly plumper one that that a flame shaped like a curl on her head and a female voice.
"We want to play and they ignore us...do you think they want to be put on fire? Will that make them more playful?"
She asked somewhat jealous that the little gafflings where getting attention and she ran over to you to sit down on your foot and look up at you.
"Hi Master's student."
She said joyfully.

Colin:

Colin smiled, "I will do my very best."

George smiled and gave a nod at that.

He nodded, "The rote can permit a Mage to burn off qlippothic Tass directly and without any residual resonance, rather than process it through their own Avatar. If I can spare only one Mage from contracting Jhor that way, it will be worth it. Besides, I have other tricks I can make a little profit from..."

"A noble idea...well that and it might make a few ehm...if you permit the expression, stuck up old mages' jaws drop that such a rote was created by an Orphan and if I know you right Mr Wainwright you might find that amusing..."
The old mage said and grinned.
"But yes sparing others from getting Jhor is a kind and noble undertaking for it is the worst possible Resonance to attract."

He soured a little, "He's not in that much trouble yet - but if he keeps ignoring laws he doesn't like, he's going to meet a very bad end..."

"That is correct, trying to change laws one do not like that is fine and good but just ignoring them that just spell doom and beside we do need laws, yes not all of the ones we have are good laws, but if everyone just started ignoring all the laws they did not agree with there would be chaos. Guernicus the Founder was right when he tol Bonisagus that the Order he was creating would only work if there where laws in place...and someone who could enforce them."
The old Guernicus magus said and frowned.

He nodded grimly, "Hence The Fragile Path... We snagged miss Alexander from the jaws of oblivion once, and there's yet a chance for Chief Morgan's new apprentice... but if mr. Karyak paints us all in a bad light, we might not be so lucky."

"That is correct, until Miss Alexander's new sentencing she is very vulnerable and as for young Kyle...if his magickal family including Mr Roth Hicks is put in a bad light that do limit his chances in a trial. The boy is in more danger than Miss Alexander but yes, we do not want Jeffry to...loose another student now do we."
He muttered solemnly.
"And not in such a way...especially not in such a way."

Colin nodded, "I do not particularly want to, ah, try to lure my Avatar out in public, either. I entertained the idea before she... came out of her shell, but not any more.

"You need to be particularly careful about who you let see or examine your Avatar Mr Wainwright you do not want anyone to figure out your secret."
George warned.

As for forcing your Fount to do something like that - it seems to be more of an invitation to come out and play than forcibly dragging the Avatar out; I doubt that part would be any different with a Fount."

"Hum...well then perhaps I will consider it."
The old mage said with a slightly longing look in his blue eyes.

He arched an eyebrow, "This is probably a rather silly question, but have you tried talking to it during your meditations?"

"Yes I have Mr Wainwright, many a time since souls started talking to their hosts...but mine have never responded, it do not feel the need to, and do not care much if an old man long to hear it's voice if just once."
He said and smiled slightly.
"Well is not that always how it is, I long to hear my Fount speak while many other mages long for the power that comes with a perfect union which is the reason why it do not...the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence is it not, but I would gladly give that added might to hear it's voice guiding me."

He nodded, "I expect there will be a summons. I'm not sure how much more than a reprimand the Chicago Tribunal would be legally within rights to give me, mind, without some diplomatic work with the Boston Tribunal... But frankly, I don't think I want to find out."

"They can give you mild censure, which will probably involve using some time to help the group of Mercere there are not really any grounds for any other legal actions against you, and they are not likely to force matters if the Boston Tribunal put it's foot down, but if it is just house hunting or helping them decorate their new home I doubt the Boston Tribunal will refuse."

"Perhaps we all indulge in our stronger memories when the present fails to adequately stimulate our minds. You have a vast treasure trove of memories to fall back on, and I expect the peace and quiet of the present can be too quiet at times... It might be less a sign of getting old, and more a sign of having lived greatly."

George smiled at that.
"Perhaps you are right young man, and I have had a...good life, there are things I regret but for the most part I have been lucky, but yes there are people I miss that have moved on, and there are times that where simpler than these that I at time long for and memories can hold great comfort as long as one do not get lost in them..."

He nodded, "As it is... she is unlikely to survive any attempt on her Avatar, due to pattern damage to heart and lungs. It might be years before she's well enough to... well... Even then she might not survive the trauma. But if it comes to that... it will be her choice; I'll not make that for her, though she sees me as her last, best hope to keep her magic. She may be right in that regard..."

"Yes she probably is right in that regard...so her physical condition are that bad, well you would not want to risk the host dying in the middle of a Gilgul ritual, that is the best way to get a very angry, very powerful creature with no knowledge of this world attack you...and no I am not saying you take the choice for her, only that the option is there...if she should want it..."
The old mage said and frowned.

"I find that there's always a price to pay for compassion. In most cases, it's just not as steep as the cost of ignoring it. As the Verbena might put it, a seed of kindness can grow into a mighty, branching tree..."

"Yes it can at that...and I guess it depends what price you are most relucent to pay, but yes if you can willingly pay the price of compassion, it might be the better path to walk."

"Possibly years of work, fear, stress, concern, scorn and grief... and a chance - a very, very slim, almost nonexistent chance - of bringing a Nephandus back to the light before she is dragged into the Sentencing Hall..."

"You do seam to know what it is you are asking then child...I will help you if I can then."
George said and nodded approvingly.

He smiled sadly, "You've... had a similar situation of your own, Sir?"

"I have...once..."
The old mage said with a sad smile without elaborating on it.

Colin nodded, pondering, "I had agency, does that count for anything? I made conscious decisions, such as giving miss Alexander a piggyback ride through the streets of Concordia, or volunteering for kitchen duty at the Verbena clinic... And in one of those future conversations, an old friend reminded me of how I had told him about the rogue Technocrat cyborg we met on the rescue mission for miss Bergen - information without which I might not have survived..."

"Hum...yes agency do indicate it is more than a vision...tell me Mr Wainwright you have indicated you usually have these episodes when Time magick are used around you...now this might sound to invasive and I do apologize if you find it offensive but would you might if I tried to cast such a rote in the hopes I might observe one of your visions in order to better understand their nature so I can say whatever or not they would qualify you for such an early advancement to Adeptus Minor?"
The Gurnicus asked softly.

"Ah, I think we talked past one another - I was referring to the risks involved in a diplomatic House, not in contacting the First Cabal... Yes, contacting Fall Breeze would likely be the simplest part of finding the First Cabal, but as you say, if I were to do so, the genie can't be put back into the lamp."

"Ah...well thanks heavens...yes there will be risks in such a House but not anywhere near what you will encounter if you contact the reincarnations of your former Cabal and creating such a House is a path I would much rather see you on young man."
The old magus said, sounding relieved.

He smiled thinly, "I seldom act without at least quickly gauging the dangers involved, and the potential benefits. Occasionally, those estimates are rushed, but even that is better than not considering risks at all... I will be cautious."

George just nodded at that.
"Good..."

He nodded, "For the causal loop with the Battlecruiser to stay closed, for that vision to stay true, Beatrice Alexander must die defending Steelhaven Hall from the Technocracy sometime over the next few years... I will tell her of that vision, and she will have the choice of whether to stay and fight, or flee and live. Unlike Teomim, I don't think I have anything resembling the right to make that decision for her - and whatever she chooses, I'll support her.

"She will stay and fight and we both know it...however what I meant was that knowing there is a high probability of her dying during that attack, she needs to be protected as she fights, and we also have to try to find a way to avert the whole attack on the Chantry in the first place."
The archmage said softly.

If her reincarnation Handling a Nephandic Battlecruiser won't come to pass on account of her still being alive, there will still be another possibility. Probably more. All I have to do is to find one that can save Horizon... My own survival will be a bonus, but ultimately, I will be... expendable."

George looked at you for a moment then he nodded.
"We will find a way to save as many as possible, or rather you will for I will be leaving soon, and I hope you find a way to save Horizon and stay alive child, for there are many who would grieve your passing."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:17 am

Behind you there is a soft sound and you hear a little voice that say. "The spiders are boring, they only work and will not play with us..."

Adley turned and looked around, spotting the imp and giving her a raised eyebrow. "I do not find them boring. Industrious and not inclined to play, perhaps but not boring. They are quite beautiful in their own way," he said, watching the geometrical patterns emerge like a cat's cradle.

"We want to play and they ignore us...do you think they want to be put on fire? Will that make them more playful?" She asked somewhat jealous that the little gafflings where getting attention and she ran over to you to sit down on your foot and look up at you. "Hi Master's student." She said joyfully.

"Hello to you as well," he said, looking down at her, resting the hand with the gaffling on it against his chest. "We both know that setting them aflame will not make them more playful, nor do they wish to be put on fire. They are my friends and I do not wish them unduly harmed by such antics, either," he told her. "I saw you downstairs, down the hallway, did I not? You are looking well. I know we are all busy right now and have not much time for playing as we would like to have. Has Master set you a task?"
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:48 am

Adley turned and looked around, spotting the imp and giving her a raised eyebrow. "I do not find them boring. Industrious and not inclined to play, perhaps but not boring. They are quite beautiful in their own way," he said, watching the geometrical patterns emerge like a cat's cradle.

"But they do not want to play, that makes them boring."
The imp said and pouted.
"But their web is pretty even if it is not on fire."
She added as she wadded over to you. The little spider gaffling spotted a place where the fabric in your borrowed sweater had grown a bit worn and moved there and started spinning, slowly and meticulously.

"Hello to you as well," he said, looking down at her, resting the hand with the gaffling on it against his chest. "We both know that setting them aflame will not make them more playful, nor do they wish to be put on fire. They are my friends and I do not wish them unduly harmed by such antics, either," he told her.

"I guess...no one wants to be put on fire...it is boring..."
The little imp said.
"But ok I will not do it but I wish the spiders would play with me, they look so fun, but they are not fun at all."
She complained.

"I saw you downstairs, down the hallway, did I not? You are looking well. I know we are all busy right now and have not much time for playing as we would like to have. Has Master set you a task?"

"Yes I was in the hallway, and now I am here. I am well, Master keeps us full of yummy food and strong."
The imp said contentedly.
"Master have not set us to a task but we watch for him anyway, other than the one you call Poodle, he is worried about the little one like you that is called Jane so he went to sit on her, we have heard that humans sit on babies, and while she is not a baby she is not a full human yet...it is very confusing...but she had a nightmare and he decided to sit on her to make her feel better."
The plump little imp said as she started playing with your shoe laces.
"Why do humans sit on babies Master's student? Full humans are so much bigger than babies are they not hurt if you sit on them, we are small we can sit on them but not full humans."
She asked as she pulled on the shoe lace with all of her might but lacking the ability to affect things in the physical word.
"Are these wicks?"
She asked joyfully.
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:15 am

"A noble idea...well that and it might make a few ehm...if you permit the expression, stuck up old mages' jaws drop that such a rote was created by an Orphan and if I know you right Mr Wainwright you might find that amusing..."
The old mage said and grinned.
"But yes sparing others from getting Jhor is a kind and noble undertaking for it is the worst possible Resonance to attract."
Colin grinned briefly, then looked serious, "The entertainment value is not lost on me... but I saw the expression on Chief Morgan after we dealt with the Ball of Abysmal Flame, and my rote spared him the worst of that Resonance. Being able to neutralize Quintessence by processing it through, well, a proxy instead of an Avatar will be potentially life-saving for anyone set to deal with, say, a large shipment of corrupted Tass, like the one that we intercepted on its way into Boston the other night."

"That is correct, trying to change laws one do not like that is fine and good but just ignoring them that just spell doom and beside we do need laws, yes not all of the ones we have are good laws, but if everyone just started ignoring all the laws they did not agree with there would be chaos. Guernicus the Founder was right when he tol Bonisagus that the Order he was creating would only work if there where laws in place...and someone who could enforce them."
He nodded, "The Protocols are mostly fine, though the spirit in which they were written and the spirit in which they are read may have... drifted somewhat apart. To always respect those of greater power, well... Thank God mr. Karyak trespassed on Master Haagen's pride, and not that of a much older Mage, if you'll pardon my saying so - that particular law is a bit too easy to exploit, in my humble opinion. Not that I'm trying to excuse mr. Karyak for breaking it - but mr. Haagen is still quite young and more forgiving of youthful impertinence than many others of his rank might be."

"Hum...well then perhaps I will consider it."
"Actually, you could ask Master Nassa's advice - I believe he allowed mr. Karyak to sing his Avatar out. I've only seen mr. Karyak call out his own, but the perspective of someone who's been allowed to see their own might be more valuable than my humble third-party observations."

"Well is not that always how it is, I long to hear my Fount speak while many other mages long for the power that comes with a perfect union which is the reason why it do not...the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence is it not, but I would gladly give that added might to hear it's voice guiding me."
Colin pondered, "Actually, my Avatar might grow into quite astounding power over time... When the shell cracked apart, she grew in power, and she will likely continue to do so as she gathers stray fragments and fuses them with the other shards and fragments in the cluster she's drawn in. I've got pieces of all sorts of Avatars in there - included Fallen pieces - and that does give me a vested interest in finding a way to cleanse Avatars; as it is, at least I am aware there's bits of darkness in there, and I can't ignore those... but I'll probably be the safest Mage to send into an area with stray shards drifting around, as Mia will... vacuum them up, rather than get them stuck in the usual painful and unhealthy way."

"They can give you mild censure, which will probably involve using some time to help the group of Mercere there are not really any grounds for any other legal actions against you, and they are not likely to force matters if the Boston Tribunal put it's foot down, but if it is just house hunting or helping them decorate their new home I doubt the Boston Tribunal will refuse."
He nodded, "That's largely what I expected the limits would be... though, of course, if things hadn't gone near-perfectly, I expect the situation would be very... different."

"Yes she probably is right in that regard...so her physical condition are that bad, well you would not want to risk the host dying in the middle of a Gilgul ritual, that is the best way to get a very angry, very powerful creature with no knowledge of this world attack you...and no I am not saying you take the choice for her, only that the option is there...if she should want it..."
"Yes it can at that...and I guess it depends what price you are most relucent to pay, but yes if you can willingly pay the price of compassion, it might be the better path to walk."
"You do seam to know what it is you are asking then child...I will help you if I can then."
Colin smiled sadly, "In my life, I've shown an aptitude for killing; oddly enough, since my vision of the future in which I killed a Nephandus child with her own dagger, after kindness had lowered her guard entirely have I been able to not suffer post-combat stress like before, but... I've never liked it, and I hope I never will. Deep down, I suppose what I do best is to create, mend and change things; sometimes, that requires, well... I could have made a fine Euthanatos, I suppose. If I can improve the lot of that twelve-year-old girl I snatched from the Nephandi, then perhaps all the bloodshed and strife in Chicago and here this weekend will be worth it, if not for me, then at least for her? I... thank you for being willing to help me in this. It would be a lot harder without your sympathy."

"Hum...yes agency do indicate it is more than a vision...tell me Mr Wainwright you have indicated you usually have these episodes when Time magick are used around you...now this might sound to invasive and I do apologize if you find it offensive but would you might if I tried to cast such a rote in the hopes I might observe one of your visions in order to better understand their nature so I can say whatever or not they would qualify you for such an early advancement to Adeptus Minor?"
Colin thought back for a moment, "Well, damn... that's correct. That's actually an excellent idea - and you might be able to, um, no offense intended to Deaconess O'Connor, but you might offer a more mundane perspective than she does. To the outside world, I suppose it would take no time at all to do so, either, so it's hardly as though it would have to be rushed."

"Ah...well thanks heavens...yes there will be risks in such a House but not anywhere near what you will encounter if you contact the reincarnations of your former Cabal and creating such a House is a path I would much rather see you on young man."
"Building such a House might be a path to build a new Cabal in the spirit of the First - but I think it would have to be without me. One member of each Tradition, banding together to foster greater cooperation between the Traditions, while I as an independent would have no place among them as such."
He grinned, "Though I suppose if I'm really going to be ambitious about it, I hear tell there's a chair without a Tradition or Sphere attached to it; who knows, Master Porthos might be willing to yield his favourite seat to someone willing to be the neutral voice of mediation between the Traditions when the Council gathers..."

"She will stay and fight and we both know it...however what I meant was that knowing there is a high probability of her dying during that attack, she needs to be protected as she fights, and we also have to try to find a way to avert the whole attack on the Chantry in the first place."
He nodded, "True, if the attack can be averted, that does drastically change the chain of events. Possibly for the better. The problem, in part, is that I don't know precisely when this attack might come... I can make preparations for when it hits, but without knowing more about what the Union prepares, well..."
He frowned, "Oh, yes, I should tell you, too - someone will attack Horizon in two months' time; the same day as Patrick Dale, the Technocrat Barabbus is to be sentenced, and whoever it is will leave a path of destruction through Concordia and all the way up into the Main Sentencing Hall... None of the Primi will be harmed, though not for lack of trying... We'll manage to stop the shooter, but not before mr. Dale stops a bullet meant for one of the Seats. That heroic act... spares his life in that moment. The funny thing is, I remember there being quite a lot of casualties, but nowhere near the numbers the collateral damage should imply, so... perhaps a warning gets accepted in time for a partial evacuation prior to the assault?"

"We will find a way to save as many as possible, or rather you will for I will be leaving soon, and I hope you find a way to save Horizon and stay alive child, for there are many who would grieve your passing."
He smiled, "Yes, I suppose many would... Still, I have a few contingencies in the works. If, in twenty years' time, you sense a mad man in a blue box bouncing around space and time near Horizon, you might want to stop by and say hello."

((OOC: Unrelated to this campaign, I'm toying with a character concept; a Euthanatos who's specializing in Mind and Spirit. He had a rough childhood - not necessarily abused, but rough - and his Avatar manifested as the literal Monster Under The Bed. Now, as an adult, he's a child psychologist, doing everything he can to make sure kids don't end up on the wrong path in life... Very Happy ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:33 pm

Colin grinned briefly, then looked serious, "The entertainment value is not lost on me... but I saw the expression on Chief Morgan after we dealt with the Ball of Abysmal Flame, and my rote spared him the worst of that Resonance. Being able to neutralize Quintessence by processing it through, well, a proxy instead of an Avatar will be potentially life-saving for anyone set to deal with, say, a large shipment of corrupted Tass, like the one that we intercepted on its way into Boston the other night."

"I can imagine that Jeffry was surprised yes, probably both surprised and relieved, and yes we probably should tell our allied chantry dealing with that Tass and ask if they want to pay for your instruction in your discovery before they try to get rid of the rest of it, even if Jeffry and the others did manage to deal with some of it."

He nodded, "The Protocols are mostly fine, though the spirit in which they were written and the spirit in which they are read may have... drifted somewhat apart. To always respect those of greater power, well... Thank God mr. Karyak trespassed on Master Haagen's pride, and not that of a much older Mage, if you'll pardon my saying so - that particular law is a bit too easy to exploit, in my humble opinion.

"It is to easy to exploit that law indeed and it can be used by older magi to exploit and abuse younger magi but yes there are far worse august personas in the Traditions Mr Karyak could have ended up insulting where thing would have gone far worse."
The old Guernicus said and frowned.

Not that I'm trying to excuse mr. Karyak for breaking it - but mr. Haagen is still quite young and more forgiving of youthful impertinence than many others of his rank might be."

"I understand that you do not mean to justify Mr Karyak's actions but yes it could have gone allot worse if he had chosen another, older mage and behaved in the same way."

"Actually, you could ask Master Nassa's advice - I believe he allowed mr. Karyak to sing his Avatar out. I've only seen mr. Karyak call out his own, but the perspective of someone who's been allowed to see their own might be more valuable than my humble third-party observations."

"That is good advice young man, I think I will heed it and have a talk with Master Nassa as soon as I have a chance to and he is not to busy."
George said and smiled.

Colin pondered, "Actually, my Avatar might grow into quite astounding power over time... When the shell cracked apart, she grew in power, and she will likely continue to do so as she gathers stray fragments and fuses them with the other shards and fragments in the cluster she's drawn in. I've got pieces of all sorts of Avatars in there - included Fallen pieces - and that does give me a vested interest in finding a way to cleanse Avatars;

"It sounds like you might want to be careful with what shards your Avatar assimilate then, you do not want to draw in to many Fallen shards. But yes I think you are likely correct, your soul will grow in power, which will increase your potential but also make it allot more able to assert it's own will, a strong Avatar can be a handful I hear."
The old mage said and nodded.
"But yes I do hope such a cure is found...though it will be quite an accomplishment to do."

as it is, at least I am aware there's bits of darkness in there, and I can't ignore those... but I'll probably be the safest Mage to send into an area with stray shards drifting around, as Mia will... vacuum them up, rather than get them stuck in the usual painful and unhealthy way."

"Hum...so you are safe from such shards then Mr Wainwright? Interesting, well that might give us an tactical advantage when we need it, though I would hate to use a member of my Chantry as a shield when going though the Gauntlet...it might just solve the problem if there are more shards out there in Boston that might hit someone."

He nodded, "That's largely what I expected the limits would be... though, of course, if things hadn't gone near-perfectly, I expect the situation would be very... different."

"Yes it probably would be quite different if things had not gone as well that is true, but let us not linger to long on what ifs."

Colin smiled sadly, "In my life, I've shown an aptitude for killing; oddly enough, since my vision of the future in which I killed a Nephandus child with her own dagger, after kindness had lowered her guard entirely have I been able to not suffer post-combat stress like before, but... I've never liked it, and I hope I never will. Deep down, I suppose what I do best is to create, mend and change things; sometimes, that requires, well... I could have made a fine Euthanatos, I suppose.

"Yes I read that vision transcript that you witnessed to me...Miss Alexander's reincarnation right? You might have made for a good Euthanatos Mr Wainwright, you are kind but have the resolve to do what you have to do, and a good Euthanatos would rather create than destroy even if he knows that there is times when he have to do the latter...do be aware though that if the Nephandi girl is sentenced...unless some miracle happens and she survives, she have to be granted death, but you or someone else after the sentence are...carried out..."
George said sadly.

If I can improve the lot of that twelve-year-old girl I snatched from the Nephandi, then perhaps all the bloodshed and strife in Chicago and here this weekend will be worth it, if not for me, then at least for her? I... thank you for being willing to help me in this. It would be a lot harder without your sympathy."

"She will be scared off course, and she will be a prisoner but if she have a friendly person taking care of her then chances are her life will be better yes and often it makes all the difference to spread a bit of light in the darkness."
He said then he said and smiled.
"And besides if the girl is controlled I consider the risk of keeping her to be rather low, so no need to thank me, I am grateful if I am able to help the little girl have a better end to her life...heavens knows she have not had an easy lot..."
He said and frowned.

Colin thought back for a moment, "Well, damn... that's correct. That's actually an excellent idea - and you might be able to, um, no offense intended to Deaconess O'Connor, but you might offer a more mundane perspective than she does. To the outside world, I suppose it would take no time at all to do so, either, so it's hardly as though it would have to be rushed."

"No if I use a time field or time bubble it should not take any time from the outside world's perspective."
The old magus said then he smiled.
"Mara is wise young man but she...have one leg in our world and one in the land of the fay, she is not that easy to understand at times, but if you learn to listen you can learn allot from her."
He said then he nodded.
"No it do not need to be rushed."

"Building such a House might be a path to build a new Cabal in the spirit of the First - but I think it would have to be without me. One member of each Tradition, banding together to foster greater cooperation between the Traditions, while I as an independent would have no place among them as such."

"Or perhaps an independent mage is exactly what such a Cabal would need to speak for those who is not a member of a Tradition. Hum...yes perhaps such a Cabal could work...but time will tell, time will tell, one step at the time."
George said and seamed thoughtful.

He grinned, "Though I suppose if I'm really going to be ambitious about it, I hear tell there's a chair without a Tradition or Sphere attached to it; who knows, Master Porthos might be willing to yield his favourite seat to someone willing to be the neutral voice of mediation between the Traditions when the Council gathers..."

"Ah yes the tenth chair...well if you get your House going and it becomes a force to be reckoned with politically, there is a chance...though the Hollow Ones have asked to be recognized as a Tradition for ten years now with no luck so if you are taking aim at Master Porthos's seat you will have your work cut out for your."

He nodded, "True, if the attack can be averted, that does drastically change the chain of events. Possibly for the better. The problem, in part, is that I don't know precisely when this attack might come... I can make preparations for when it hits, but without knowing more about what the Union prepares, well..."

"At least we have a heads up that an attack is coming and that allow us to prepare Mr Wainwright, I hope that might be enough, and perhaps when we have dealt with Lisa Larson and her underlings we can begin to look into the Technocracy's forces in Boston and perhaps find a way to stop them."
George said and sigh.

He frowned, "Oh, yes, I should tell you, too - someone will attack Horizon in two months' time; the same day as Patrick Dale, the Technocrat Barabbus is to be sentenced, and whoever it is will leave a path of destruction through Concordia and all the way up into the Main Sentencing Hall... None of the Primi will be harmed, though not for lack of trying... We'll manage to stop the shooter, but not before mr. Dale stops a bullet meant for one of the Seats. That heroic act... spares his life in that moment. The funny thing is, I remember there being quite a lot of casualties, but nowhere near the numbers the collateral damage should imply, so... perhaps a warning gets accepted in time for a partial evacuation prior to the assault?"

"Hum...that news is worrisome but perhaps yes that we have some foreknowledge about the attack will be enough to limit the damage...let us hope so. Mr Dale survive hum...that is good to hear especially if a way to heal what the Caul do is eventually do, I have felt badly for the young man, I am skeptical about trusting a Fallen though, even one that is young and relatively innocent..."
He said and frowned.

He smiled, "Yes, I suppose many would... Still, I have a few contingencies in the works. If, in twenty years' time, you sense a mad man in a blue box bouncing around space and time near Horizon, you might want to stop by and say hello."

"If I am able to and allowed to, I will do so Mr Wainwright."
The old archmage said and he sounded amused.

(OOC: That is actually a cool concept for an Euthanatos. You are welcome to play in any of my table top games but I do live some distance from you.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:16 pm

"I can imagine that Jeffry was surprised yes, probably both surprised and relieved, and yes we probably should tell our allied chantry dealing with that Tass and ask if they want to pay for your instruction in your discovery before they try to get rid of the rest of it, even if Jeffry and the others did manage to deal with some of it."
Colin nodded, "That would probably be good, yes."

"It is to easy to exploit that law indeed and it can be used by older magi to exploit and abuse younger magi but yes there are far worse august personas in the Traditions Mr Karyak could have ended up insulting where thing would have gone far worse."
He mused, "Perhaps an amendment to the Protocol could be worked in over time - a clarification that respect and obedience are not one and the same?"

"But yes I do hope such a cure is found...though it will be quite an accomplishment to do."
He smiled, "Good thing, then, that I am inclined to being methodical and meticulous in action while rather... prone to leaps of intuition and occasional ridiculous suggestions in the pre-planning phases. I have no delusions that there will be a quick and easy fix, but I do believe it can be accomplished."

"Hum...so you are safe from such shards then Mr Wainwright? Interesting, well that might give us an tactical advantage when we need it, though I would hate to use a member of my Chantry as a shield when going though the Gauntlet...it might just solve the problem if there are more shards out there in Boston that might hit someone."
"Safe being a relative term - I won't get shards wedged in my Avatar, but if those shards are Fallen, I might see some... long-term effects. Still, better that risk than having half the Chantry run into a minefield that will injure their Avatars."

"Yes I read that vision transcript that you witnessed to me...Miss Alexander's reincarnation right? You might have made for a good Euthanatos Mr Wainwright, you are kind but have the resolve to do what you have to do, and a good Euthanatos would rather create than destroy even if he knows that there is times when he have to do the latter...do be aware though that if the Nephandi girl is sentenced...unless some miracle happens and she survives, she have to be granted death, but you or someone else after the sentence are...carried out..."
He nodded, "Whatever happens, she will not be simply... turned out and dumped in the gutter afterwards. I will be there to hold her hand through it all; she'll not be alone in that room. Even if that means I'll... literally pick up the pieces and have to carry those bits around as a permanent reminder."

"And besides if the girl is controlled I consider the risk of keeping her to be rather low, so no need to thank me, I am grateful if I am able to help the little girl have a better end to her life...heavens knows she have not had an easy lot..."
He nodded, "The girl was caught so young, she doesn't know what her birth mother called her... and her Mentor murdered her mother before the child went into the Caul. Then his saving grace - he sheltered her from the other Nephandi, to the point of beating up Diego downstairs for making... untoward approaches toward the poor dear. Granted, the beating of Diego may have been more of a matter of course; the wretch managed to get him thrown out of the Chicago Labyrinth after his Mentor decided she preferred to have her mind and soul shackled to a great polyp instead of dealing with her Apprentice anymore..."

"Mara is wise young man but she...have one leg in our world and one in the land of the fay, she is not that easy to understand at times, but if you learn to listen you can learn allot from her."
"Indisputably - but sometimes riddles take a while to unravel. I'm just glad my fiction of choice is Fantasy; riddles is a big part of the genre. A box without hinges, key nor lid, and within a golden treasure hid, you know..."

"No it do not need to be rushed."
"Then again, no time like the present. If you want to do it before I return to the fray, you are welcome; if you'd rather wait until morning, that's also fine."

"Or perhaps an independent mage is exactly what such a Cabal would need to speak for those who is not a member of a Tradition. Hum...yes perhaps such a Cabal could work...but time will tell, time will tell, one step at the time."
"One careful step at a time, yes."

"Ah yes the tenth chair...well if you get your House going and it becomes a force to be reckoned with politically, there is a chance...though the Hollow Ones have asked to be recognized as a Tradition for ten years now with no luck so if you are taking aim at Master Porthos's seat you will have your work cut out for your."
"Well, if they were to earn the seat, I wouldn't want to protest it. A small stool off to the side would be just as adequate."

"At least we have a heads up that an attack is coming and that allow us to prepare Mr Wainwright, I hope that might be enough, and perhaps when we have dealt with Lisa Larson and her underlings we can begin to look into the Technocracy's forces in Boston and perhaps find a way to stop them."
He nodded, "It's hard - virtually impossible, even - to say if the seeds of said attack have been planted already, or if it's something that will develop over the coming year or years..."

"Hum...that news is worrisome but perhaps yes that we have some foreknowledge about the attack will be enough to limit the damage...let us hope so. Mr Dale survive hum...that is good to hear especially if a way to heal what the Caul do is eventually do, I have felt badly for the young man, I am skeptical about trusting a Fallen though, even one that is young and relatively innocent..."
He grinned, then frowned, "Well, when he visited me for dinner on Horizon in twenty years, he was a bit weary of the constant check-ins with the Security Office. As was miss Bergen, due to the troubles with House Janissary... Bugger, I still don't have the first clue as to what those might be..."

((OOC: Might be interesting to do, but distance, while a factor, is not as important as that I couldn't bring mai waifu; room for an extra player aside, she's allergic to cats. :/ ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Colin nodded, "That would probably be good, yes."

George gave a slight, amused smile and nodded.

He mused, "Perhaps an amendment to the Protocol could be worked in over time - a clarification that respect and obedience are not one and the same?"

"That would probably make the laws more fair but changing the Protocols is not an easy task, it would requite allot of political pressure to accomplish."
The old mage commented.

He smiled, "Good thing, then, that I am inclined to being methodical and meticulous in action while rather... prone to leaps of intuition and occasional ridiculous suggestions in the pre-planning phases. I have no delusions that there will be a quick and easy fix, but I do believe it can be accomplished."

"Well everything can be accomplished given enough will Mr Wainwright, nothing is impossible, but whatever or not you will be able to accomplish this feat that is another matter, many before you have tried and failed, however there is a chance now that Miss Florentine have accomplished it the way I understand it, perhaps eventually the poor woman will be well enough to give you some clues as to how she did it."

"Safe being a relative term - I won't get shards wedged in my Avatar, but if those shards are Fallen, I might see some... long-term effects. Still, better that risk than having half the Chantry run into a minefield that will injure their Avatars."

"I would not want you to risk Falling Mr Wainwright after all we do not know what will happen if your soul absorb to many of those shards, but yes at least you will not be injured in the the regular way and that is something at least and might be useful in a pinch, not that I would want you to risk yourself child."

He nodded, "Whatever happens, she will not be simply... turned out and dumped in the gutter afterwards. I will be there to hold her hand through it all; she'll not be alone in that room. Even if that means I'll... literally pick up the pieces and have to carry those bits around as a permanent reminder."

George frowned at that.
"It is good you do not want the child to have to suffer such a horrible fate alone, but have you considered that your own Avatar might have quite traumatic memories of the Main Sentencing Hall and going into that room, especially for...such a reason might affect you badly."
He warned and looked rather concerned.

He nodded, "The girl was caught so young, she doesn't know what her birth mother called her... and her Mentor murdered her mother before the child went into the Caul. Then his saving grace - he sheltered her from the other Nephandi, to the point of beating up Diego downstairs for making... untoward approaches toward the poor dear.

"Well to be fair Mr Wainwright if Diego had made approaches to any of my former apprentices I might have ended up showing my less than friendly side..."
He said with a wry smile.
"So the girl have been sheltered from the others of her kind?"
He asked.

Granted, the beating of Diego may have been more of a matter of course; the wretch managed to get him thrown out of the Chicago Labyrinth after his Mentor decided she preferred to have her mind and soul shackled to a great polyp instead of dealing with her Apprentice anymore..."

"Ah yes I have been told our guest downstairs is not a very pleasant man and it appears even his own dislike him then...hum I can not help but feel pity for a creature with not a friend in the world."
George said and sigh.

"Indisputably - but sometimes riddles take a while to unravel. I'm just glad my fiction of choice is Fantasy; riddles is a big part of the genre. A box without hinges, key nor lid, and within a golden treasure hid, you know..."

"Ah yes...well perhaps you will be able to understand the members of House Criamon then they are even more fond of riddles then our Mara, but yes figuring the lady out takes time and that might be time we do not have at the moment. As for fiction I have never had much time to indulge in such pleasures but it do sound like it might be worthwhile reading."

"Then again, no time like the present. If you want to do it before I return to the fray, you are welcome; if you'd rather wait until morning, that's also fine."

"Well the sooner we do it, the sooner I can write up the paperwork if it turns out that your visions are more then...well visions. If you are ready then Mr Wainwright I can try to from a time field around you and we will see if that will trigger something..."

"One careful step at a time, yes."

"Indeed, that is often the best way to go..."

"Well, if they were to earn the seat, I wouldn't want to protest it. A small stool off to the side would be just as adequate."

"My point was more that it will be hard for an Orphan group to win a seat at the Council and as such your House if you get it started will have a hard fight ahead of it if you hope to get it a pace at the Council Table one of the big seats, or a small stool at the side..."
The old Hermetic said.

He nodded, "It's hard - virtually impossible, even - to say if the seeds of said attack have been planted already, or if it's something that will develop over the coming year or years..."

"Hum...it is hard to know, but perhaps some of our prisoners can shed some light on the matter, it might be worth asking them if there are any such plans before we ship them to Horizon, as for the Union well they we are going to have to deal with when we are done with Lisa Larson's Labyrinth."

He grinned, then frowned, "Well, when he visited me for dinner on Horizon in twenty years, he was a bit weary of the constant check-ins with the Security Office. As was miss Bergen, due to the troubles with House Janissary... Bugger, I still don't have the first clue as to what those might be..."

"Well check ins would probably be ordered yes, and if he was spared at least I would assume he was Branded so his soul would be easier to find in his next life...as for House Janissary...there where trouble with them...that is...troubling the Janissary are House Guernicus' closest allies..."
The old Hermetic said and his frown deepened.

(OOC: Well that is unfortunate, I am afraid I can not do much about all the cat hairs around the apartment, one of my players do not have a cat though so I can ask if we have room for two new players in the game I am running that she is a part of.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top