Horrible Options, Unexpected Help and Hidded Passages IC Thread 17

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Horrible Options, Unexpected Help and Hidded Passages IC Thread 17

Post by s7trif3 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:42 am

He grimaced, "I know... I believe Nietzche said something to the effect of a man not being able to respect himself until he is capable of great evil. I posit that he got that one half-right; a man can't truly respect himself until he's capable of great evil and of finding and choosing alternatives to such acts. I am able to do truly wretched things - I've done them unwittingly, and I will have done them deliberately, but I hate who I am in those moments... even if it's the last resort to save others; whether that is ten people I care about or a random person on the street... I pray we can pull off the induced timeskip... I truly do. As for using the Node chamber... I think I might be as well served by thinking here, actually; in this case, it would not do to separate one person to think while the others plan. Someone might raise a suggestion that will set my mind off in a new direction with high potential, or ask a question I can answer quickly..."

"I'm going to disagree with Nietzche...but yes, I truly do also."

He frowned, "I've never heard of that... Ah, I'm not really acquainted with that magazine, so that would presumably reduce my chances of hearing of it. Hm, perhaps I should take out a subscription when I visit Horizon? Ah, I would not want to impose on any of Master William's stockpile, if he uses such Tass, but if he'd rather avoid it, I can employ it to, hm, great tactical effect, at least. As for the... Serafina? I expect I could employ such Tass without direct contact, though I might need some research time to figure out how to extricate it from the engines. Hum... I might be interested in taking a look at the craft later, though; I might be able to figure out something about cleaning the engine up - but that should best be left for later, unless there's a way to bring the engine along as a makeshift bomb - which I expect would be considered a bit excessive."

'Can we practically acquire this tass in the short amount of time we have?' he wrote out and showed them.

He froze for a moment as Adley gripped his arm, then exhaled and nodded, "Please bring back a working plan B, Adley... I don't want to go ahead with the last resort - I will, if it truly is the last resort, but I don't want to..."

He let go of him as soon as he saw him freeze. It was odd, seeing it happen. He knew now what he looked like when he did that...he had less issue with initiating something than receiving it unexpectedly. But he didn't realise that it would affect his friend. "Sorry, I did not mean to...make you uncomfortable." He dropped his arm awkwardly. "We'll get more eyes on it, more than just us to help us work it out. I don't want you to either."

"Any manner, actually, though I think we all would prefer as little tainted Tass as possible. If I can teach my rote to, say, three others before we go - it is a simple trick, after all - we suddenly have a lot more power in our corner for the assault than if we were forced to rely on only balanced and personal Quintessence. I don't know about you, but I would rather have four full magazines of 'dirty' bullets that will work well in my gun, than just a single magazine of even Primium rounds when I know I'm going into battle with an unclear number of hostiles. Especially when I know the number of hostiles will be higher than the number of rounds in the magazine..."

"Alright, I'll ask if I see anyone."

/sitting room/

"That depends on the type of pizza place you have ordered from, some do indeed come with extra." She said and gave a slight giggle which lead to a wince. "Laughing not recommended it seams."

He chuckled at that, grinning back at her.

"Yes they...seam to have a knack for that...sadness." She muttered softly.

"Still, we persevere. Not everything is sadness. In the problem there is a solution."

Somewhere...if they knew how to look at it. And as much as he was looking at it hard, or glancing his eye over it, turning it around and around, it continued to elude him. How had Matty's avatar gotten that way? Had she stooped down, to let in the infernal and merged with it? Or stripped away her soul to sell out of desperation, filling it in with lesser, vengeful ephemera? It was a contradiction, a dangerous puzzle...not a Body of Light, perhaps something like Tane could call forth from another. He had done it to Bee. He wondered if he could actually help them with something like this but he was less than sure about how he might work given how dangerous Matty was and how badly she had hurt everyone already. An angry yet saddened soul, that for some reason he could see its own innate duality. That was the paradox. It existed yet not, no longer comprehending the light. And for all of that it could reach out and grab their very souls when they could not touch their own. The general agreement was she needed to be stopped. And there had been one dire and effective way posited to do it. But he didn't want Colin to have to any more than he did...and trying to destroy her soul with magick had failed...but they needed to do something. He needed a plan B, if not a plan A. For Colin. Something more than speculation. What were they missing...

"I don't suppose you have or would know who has some tass that has a lot of resonance?" he asked them, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah...I wonder if it will ever end, this war of ours, or if it is something our apprentices, and theirs again will have to deal with as well..." The death magus looked rather frustrated as he spoke. "Well for now there is no other choice we have to fight to defend ourselves, and everyone else."

"I think they will have to fight, as we will when we return again, until our souls attainment. Until they hit their mark. Ignis aurum probat." He'd been trained to fight but he still felt blindsided with the things that had happened over the last few days; some of the harder fights weren't with the people you understood well enough to call enemies, he supposed.

"Yes you are right it is good to wonder, even if we might never fully get an answer to what our souls are, perhaps in searching for that answer we will find the questions we need to ask to reach further."

He nodded at that and said with a slight edge of irony, "I have many questions."

"Lady Crexia and Master Harris are on their way." Joakim said as he closed the door to his office.
Colin looked up from the maps briefly and nodded back to Adjan, "How is miss Mandis faring? On the mend, I hope?"

He nodded back to Colin and the Chief looking slightly distracted and stepped aside for the others to be able to get into the small office. He pulled one of the chairs over so he could sit and write something as they greeted one another, and then handed Adjan the abridged notes so he could catch himself up a bit. He also skirted over another note to the Chief: 'I recall that you were going to talk to the Brothers regarding this matter, unless I am mistaken. Did they tell you anything of interest? I was just told that Matty called the other spirits to stall for time, apparently it does take some time for it to be able to gather power to attack as it does.

// lol! That would be unexpected. A monster that the party would go crazy trying to hunt/not die from. Especially if there is a pack of them.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:32 am

Earlier Joakim's office:

Colin nodded, "Hopefully, we'll be able to divide and conquer rather than get ourselves surrounded..."

"Yes hopefully but with Miss Carlyle down there we do run the risk of being caught between her twisted soul and the rest of the Nephandi's defenses."

He smiled thinly, "And that's why I think repurposing the area for us would be preferable to just filling it with concrete. Concrete can be chipped away, and if the Nodes remain, the Fallen will likely know about their condition, making the excavation of the place a tempting project for them... And who would be patient enough to watch over a concrete lump?"

"We will have to destroy or cleanse the Nodes, but what happens with the Labyrinth itself, that is going to have to be decided once we have won Mr Wainwright, right now it is irrelevant."
Joakim said and sigh.
"We need to figure out a plan to actually take the Labyrinth right not, not what to do with it later, that we will have plenty of time to figure out once we have defeated our enemies."

"Well, I believe Lady Crexia mentioned as much. I gather he's a wonderfully academic personality, though."

"He is a quite accomplished scholar yes, and a powerful mage."
The old hedge wizard said and nodded.
"But he is not the most...social of creatures."

"Obviously, a thorough purge would be necessary - but it might freshen that part of the city as an added bonus. A bit more vitality suddenly popping up in a desolate area would be a good thing."

"Possibly we just going to have to see what options we are left with after the fight."
He said and frowned.
"But yes cleansing the Nodes might have a positive effect on the general area they are located in."

He grimaced, "I know... I believe Nietzche said something to the effect of a man not being able to respect himself until he is capable of great evil. I posit that he got that one half-right; a man can't truly respect himself until he's capable of great evil and of finding and choosing alternatives to such acts. I am able to do truly wretched things - I've done them unwittingly, and I will have done them deliberately, but I hate who I am in those moments... even if it's the last resort to save others; whether that is ten people I care about or a random person on the street...

"Ah yes the little german with the mustache? To some extent he is right, he believed that for good and nobility to have any value there had to be the option to do evil, that if one help one's fellow men just out of a sense of duty or just because religion or social norms force it then it is not truly kindness, that true kindness can only occur when there is the choice and capability to not offer it, and to some extent that is true, then again from the perspective of those helped or those who where the victims of evil it matters little if it was done truly with will and intent or just as a part of social or other norms."
Joakim said and leaned back in his chair then he sigh.
"We have all done things that are...horrible at times to safe those we love or protect the ideals we stand for and...it is not a good feeling having to do that, but having the capacity to do so can be a great weapon to have at one's disposal, although not a comfortable one."

I pray we can pull off the induced timeskip... I truly do.

"I do as well Mr Wainwright...I do as well."
Joakim said very softly and looked down into his coffee.

As for using the Node chamber... I think I might be as well served by thinking here, actually; in this case, it would not do to separate one person to think while the others plan. Someone might raise a suggestion that will set my mind off in a new direction with high potential, or ask a question I can answer quickly..."

"You may be right young man, and you do seam to have a knack for thinking up, unconventional solutions to problems."
The old hedge wizard muttered but he eyed the thermos filled with Isabella's blood with uneasy eyes.
"Very unconventional."

He frowned, "I've never heard of that... Ah, I'm not really acquainted with that magazine,

"It is the Sons of Ether's own publication to it's members but it also discusses other Traditionalist matters though it focus on their science. Many mages outside of the Etherite Tradition subscribe to it for that reason."
The old hedge wizard explained.

so that would presumably reduce my chances of hearing of it. Hm, perhaps I should take out a subscription when I visit Horizon?

"It is an interesting publication, the parts about machines and serums and experiments are beyond my ken but the discussions about happenings in the Traditions as a whole is interesting, and while slanted towards the Sons of Ether it is a magazine made by magi for magi as so are worth reading."

Ah, I would not want to impose on any of Master William's stockpile, if he uses such Tass, but if he'd rather avoid it, I can employ it to, hm, great tactical effect, at least.

"He do use it I think Mr Wainwright...liches are frozen in time in a way, never changing, ever the same as the way they where when they changed themselves, though he might be willing to part with the Tass when he hears it is for an important cause."

As for the... Serafina? I expect I could employ such Tass without direct contact, though I might need some research time to figure out how to extricate it from the engines.

"The problem off course being that we do not have much time for research at the moment. I am not sure myself how the Serafina's engines work but Dr Horton used fine electronics and machinery in his craft so I would assume it is more technomagickal than mystical. I have only seen the ship from the outside and it looks like well...a science fiction spaceship."

Hum... I might be interested in taking a look at the craft later, though; I might be able to figure out something about cleaning the engine up - but that should best be left for later, unless there's a way to bring the engine along as a makeshift bomb - which I expect would be considered a bit excessive."

"I do not know the size of the Serafina's engines Mr Wainwright or if they can be removed from the ship. If you at some point can clean the ship up though I do suspect there would be a tidy earning in it for you, and Umbreal ship are an expensive tool, and as it is now it would be useless to anyone but a Nephandus."
Joakim said and frowned.

He nodded, "This is a very good point - still, he knows how to remotely use Quintessence; that can be an immense boon, if he were able to tap into the Nodes or Tass stores in the Labyrinth for long-range support. Nevertheless, taking stock of less appealing Tass reserves could well be a good idea."

"We can discuss the matter with him."
The old hedge wizard agreed.
"And ask him what he would prefer to work with, and what he can do at a distance. I would rather he not attract to much Paradox though as chances are we will need him before this is all done and then we need him on his feet."

"Any manner, actually, though I think we all would prefer as little tainted Tass as possible. If I can teach my rote to, say, three others before we go - it is a simple trick, after all - we suddenly have a lot more power in our corner for the assault than if we were forced to rely on only balanced and personal Quintessence.

"Hum...teaching it to those among us most skilled with manipulating primal forces then perhaps...that would be Lady Crexia, her student Jacob and Deaconess Rose if we do not bring Master Ir into this and we really should not do that. I am sure those three would be willing not to teach your rote to others without paying you for it as well, they are good people Mr Wainwright."

Colin nodded, "That's the embuggerance of remembering fragments of a future - I remember that we had won, but I don't remember how... or what we lost. First the battle, and we can clean and sort the spoils of war later."

"I do hope that you are right Mr Wainwright, that we will win...even if we...loose many of our allies or our own lives it will be worth it to stop this mad plan of the Nephandi."
The old hedge wizard muttered with determination in his eyes.

He sighed and, after Adley left, looked over the maps of the Labyrinth again, thinking carefully on something he realized he'd not considered before - guard patrols. The Fallen weren't stupid, and they would likely have guards posted or patrolling certain more sensitive areas of the Labyrinth; under the circumstances, probably at least one pawn stationed near each Node, as well as someone keeping an eye on the cells, and likely stronger defenses near the center... He started taking some new notes on a blank page, scrawling down what he gathered to be the most likely patrolling patterns he could guess at.

Since you did not know the number of pawns the Nephandi had it was hard to make an exact guesstimate but it was likely there where guards at the most important places, cells, armory, the entrances and the Nodes, there would probably be Awakened guards at the Caul and there might be guards there to protect Abigail herself...and also potentially Matty, Abigail was not stupid she had to know what an assert she had in the damaged young maga, and since she had been attacked the logical would be to make sure she was not taken out.

"You would not be the only one Sodalis...the man had some points, but he...was over thinking things I think and ended up in rather dark places at times."
Joakim said and raised an eyebrow.

'Can we practically acquire this tass in the short amount of time we have?' he wrote out and showed them.

"It is possible Mr Roth Hicks, some Umbral ships have fuel tanks, much like a car, if the Tass is placed in such batteries then it can be collected, if it is fused with the engines though and enchanting it then it will be harder. I can ask Miss Kelly how the Serafina handles it's engines and Tass infusion."
Joakim said after he had read your note.

Sitting room:

"Still, we persevere. Not everything is sadness. In the problem there is a solution."

Fran nodded at that and leaned back.
"Yes, the problem though is finding that solution, but we will persevere, we have to."
She said as she looked up at the roof.

"I don't suppose you have or would know who has some tass that has a lot of resonance?" he asked them, raising an eyebrow.

"Not really very Resonated Quintessence is better left alone. I hear vampire blood is like Tass but heavily Entropic and Static and I have heard rumors though I do not know if it is true or not the fairies have really Dynamic Quintessence that they use. As for mages some of my Tradition use Entropic Tass, dangerously Entropic and there are heavily Resonated Nodes that no one is using, but I do not know of some particular parson really. I have some slightly Entropic Tass on me if that helps."
Francesca offered and reached for her teddy bear purse that was still on the floor pulling out two old, battered bullets that clearly could no longer be fired but that had the feeling of Tass around them and she held them out towards you, wincing as she moved around.

"I think they will have to fight, as we will when we return again, until our souls attainment. Until they hit their mark. Ignis aurum probat." He'd been trained to fight but he still felt blindsided with the things that had happened over the last few days; some of the harder fights weren't with the people you understood well enough to call enemies, he supposed.

"Yes...you are probably right my friend...I would have liked a better future for our descendants though then again this conflict to force us to look at ourself, perhaps in some way it helps us grow, but I would have preferred peace, that being said if not the Asencion War then there is always some conflict or another, perhaps that is how it always will be."
Adjan said and sigh.

He nodded at that and said with a slight edge of irony, "I have many questions."

The Euthanatos gave a grin at that.
"Ah yes...so do I, many questions then again that is how it should be my friend, that is how it should be."

Later Joakim's office:

and then handed Adjan the abridged notes so he could catch himself up a bit.

Adjan took the offered notes and read them over slowly raising an eyebrow here and there and looking up when he got to the part about turning Matty into a vampire.
"Ehm...this makes me very uncomfortable."
He muttered.

He also skirted over another note to the Chief: 'I recall that you were going to talk to the Brothers regarding this matter, unless I am mistaken. Did they tell you anything of interest? I was just told that Matty called the other spirits to stall for time, apparently it does take some time for it to be able to gather power to attack as it does.

Joakim took your note and nodded.
"I did contact my friends, they said that they did not understand what you met in the corridor, they said that."
He flipped though his own note book to find what he had written down.
"It was wrong, it was partly like us and partly that which we can not touch, but not like the one with the beacon inside more like the child born into physical existence with one like us mixed into what we can not touch but not exactly the same."
He said then he nodded.
"Hum...if Marry use some time before she can release that soul of hers, or for it to be able to attack, that might just give us time to act."
He said.
"Unfortunately not enough for the Spirit Masters to do their grim work."
He added as there was a knock on the door.
"Ah that is probably lady Crexia and Master Harris if someone would not mind getting the door."
He requested as all three of the other mages in the room was closer to the door than he was. Adjan nodded and opened to door to let the old Hermetic woman and the Virtual Adept Master in. Both Masters of the Art gave a nod to the gathered magi and Joakim smiled.
"Thank you for coming, please come in."
He said.
"Ehm...I am sorry I do not have more chairs."
He said and Crexia waved it off.
"It is fine Joakim do not worry about it."
The old Tytalus again looked immaculate with her hair in a complicated updo and her green dress free of any stains, she was pale but then again she was always pale, there was nothing but her eyes showing the tragedy she had just witness, but her brown eyes was sad and concerned. Hans though looked rather shaken and he was nervously fiddling with a pen.

(OOC: I hope your game was fin Warp and that do sound like a nasty critter I am sure Lisa Larson would like one as a pet, can she have one? Razz )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

View user profile http://chantrysteelhaven.forumfreek.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:29 pm

"We will have to destroy or cleanse the Nodes, but what happens with the Labyrinth itself, that is going to have to be decided once we have won Mr Wainwright, right now it is irrelevant."
Joakim said and sigh.
"We need to figure out a plan to actually take the Labyrinth right not, not what to do with it later, that we will have plenty of time to figure out once we have defeated our enemies."
Colin nodded, "Quite so, quite so."

"He is a quite accomplished scholar yes, and a powerful mage."
The old hedge wizard said and nodded.
"But he is not the most...social of creatures."
He arched an eyebrow, "Well, I'd hardly expect an age-old lich to be the life of the party, to be honest..."

"Ah yes the little german with the mustache? To some extent he is right, he believed that for good and nobility to have any value there had to be the option to do evil, that if one help one's fellow men just out of a sense of duty or just because religion or social norms force it then it is not truly kindness, that true kindness can only occur when there is the choice and capability to not offer it, and to some extent that is true, then again from the perspective of those helped or those who where the victims of evil it matters little if it was done truly with will and intent or just as a part of social or other norms."
Joakim said and leaned back in his chair then he sigh.
"We have all done things that are...horrible at times to safe those we love or protect the ideals we stand for and...it is not a good feeling having to do that, but having the capacity to do so can be a great weapon to have at one's disposal, although not a comfortable one."
He nodded slowly, "Intent matters little in light of consequence... He had some good ideas, but I think he might have had something of too dark an outlook on life."

"You may be right young man, and you do seam to have a knack for thinking up, unconventional solutions to problems."
The old hedge wizard muttered but he eyed the thermos filled with Isabella's blood with uneasy eyes.
"Very unconventional."
He quietly put the thermos on the floor, out of sight from Joakim's seat behind the desk, "Quite... For once in my life, I take no pride in it."

"It is the Sons of Ether's own publication to it's members but it also discusses other Traditionalist matters though it focus on their science. Many mages outside of the Etherite Tradition subscribe to it for that reason."
"Hm, I wonder what their rates for submitted articles and such might be? Ah, concern for later."

"It is possible Mr Roth Hicks, some Umbral ships have fuel tanks, much like a car, if the Tass is placed in such batteries then it can be collected, if it is fused with the engines though and enchanting it then it will be harder. I can ask Miss Kelly how the Serafina handles it's engines and Tass infusion."
Joakim said after he had read your note.
Colin shrugged, "Well, if as Chief Joakim says, the Tass is in removable batteries or the like, it should be possible to make a quick pit stop - but I don't think I have the time to study how those batteries work; the design could very well make it difficult to siphon controlled amounts of quintessence rather than everything at once, without the carefully constructed machinery they're built for. Might be worth a look, though."

He let go of him as soon as he saw him freeze. It was odd, seeing it happen. He knew now what he looked like when he did that...he had less issue with initiating something than receiving it unexpectedly. But he didn't realise that it would affect his friend. "Sorry, I did not mean to...make you uncomfortable." He dropped his arm awkwardly. "We'll get more eyes on it, more than just us to help us work it out. I don't want you to either."
He shook his head, "No, don't worry about it - I was just a little wary after your righteous outburst. It's a strained situation we're in... And yes, thank you."

"Alright, I'll ask if I see anyone."
He nodded, "Just keep in mind, I'm not asking about good Tass that people would want to use for themselves, just any quantities of Tass so resonated they would be wary of using it under most circumstances. I'd hate to deprive, say, a pyromancer of the slightly Dynamic Tass they favour for fueling their fireballs, for example, or a warding specialist of the slightly Static Tass they might rely on to reinforce the defenses on the walls..."

"I do not know the size of the Serafina's engines Mr Wainwright or if they can be removed from the ship. If you at some point can clean the ship up though I do suspect there would be a tidy earning in it for you, and Umbreal ship are an expensive tool, and as it is now it would be useless to anyone but a Nephandus."
Joakim said and frowned.
He smiled, "I am quite aware of how valuable such an undertaking would be - and also that it would likely take am impressive amount of work to accomplish it - but I think I have a chance at pulling it off, and a better chance than most at draining the poison without suffering ill effects from it, so to speak. Obviously, I'd have to look closer at it, but i think it would be well worth my time; we're going to need all the combat capable Umbral Ships we can get soon enough..."

"We can discuss the matter with him."
The old hedge wizard agreed.
"And ask him what he would prefer to work with, and what he can do at a distance. I would rather he not attract to much Paradox though as chances are we will need him before this is all done and then we need him on his feet."
He nodded, "I'm sure he wouldn't want to apply tainted Quintessence to any teleportation - but using it to boost subtler effects such as long-range surveillance might be useful."

--- Later ---
Adjan took the offered notes and read them over slowly raising an eyebrow here and there and looking up when he got to the part about turning Matty into a vampire.
"Ehm...this makes me very uncomfortable."
He muttered.
Colin looked up at Adjan, "Plan V, i presume? Yes, it's the most horrible plan I've ever come up with... I really don't wish to do so, but if we can't pull off anything else, I will do it. I... won't force that task on anyone else; this is my idea, and my burden... I'd rather not discuss it; better to come up with working alternative plans that can be tried first."

"It was wrong, it was partly like us and partly that which we can not touch, but not like the one with the beacon inside more like the child born into physical existence with one like us mixed into what we can not touch but not exactly the same."
He frowned, "So it seemed to them more like a sort of hybrid spirit creature than... Hm, that insight could possibly have some value."

"Ah that is probably lady Crexia and Master Harris if someone would not mind getting the door."
He requested as all three of the other mages in the room was closer to the door than he was. Adjan nodded and opened to door to let the old Hermetic woman and the Virtual Adept Master in. Both Masters of the Art gave a nod to the gathered magi and Joakim smiled.
"Thank you for coming, please come in."
Colin straightened his back where he stood by Joakim's desk, and gave the two Masters a quick bow.

"Ehm...I am sorry I do not have more chairs."
He said and Crexia waved it off.
"It is fine Joakim do not worry about it."
He gestured toward the chair he'd been using a few minutes earlier, "Oh, I do insist, Milady."

The old Tytalus again looked immaculate with her hair in a complicated updo and her green dress free of any stains, she was pale but then again she was always pale, there was nothing but her eyes showing the tragedy she had just witness, but her brown eyes was sad and concerned. Hans though looked rather shaken and he was nervously fiddling with a pen.
He looked over at Hans, "You saved as many as you could, getting them back... I don't think there was anything more you could have done, was there?"

((OOC: The game was fun; I grossed out a character, its player, and several other people in the room when the Wood Elf Ranger/Rogue tried to purchase a "light, elven shield", and the local blacksmith reluctantly sold him one such shield. A fairly lightweight Elven leather shield. Decorated with traditional Elven tattoos. Elven leather is not a pleasant thing to think about, apparently... Very Happy And no, I'd rather Lisa Larson didn't get a teleporting beastie that appears to be a few meters away from where it's standing... Razz ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Earlier:

He arched an eyebrow, "Well, I'd hardly expect an age-old lich to be the life of the party, to be honest..."

Joakim could not help but give a bit of an amused grin at that.
"Just do not be insulted if the good man ignore you or say something rude, he mean nothing bad about it he is just...well as I said not the most social fellow."
He cautioned.

He nodded slowly, "Intent matters little in light of consequence... He had some good ideas, but I think he might have had something of too dark an outlook on life."

"The man did end his life in a mental institution if I do not remember it wrong, like you said Mr Wainwright he had some good ideas, but perhaps a bit to dark a mind for his own good."

He quietly put the thermos on the floor, out of sight from Joakim's seat behind the desk, "Quite... For once in my life, I take no pride in it."

The old hedge wizard seamed a little calmer when the thermos was no longer in full view but he still had that dark, sad look in his eyes and he looked pale and ashen.
"Yes...well let us hope we can find an alternative."
He muttered.

"Hm, I wonder what their rates for submitted articles and such might be? Ah, concern for later."

"I do not know, however members of the Sons of Ether compete heavily with one another to have articles published in the Paradigma, I am sure it is possible to find out what their rate are when we have more time."

Colin shrugged, "Well, if as Chief Joakim says, the Tass is in removable batteries or the like, it should be possible to make a quick pit stop - but I don't think I have the time to study how those batteries work; the design could very well make it difficult to siphon controlled amounts of quintessence rather than everything at once, without the carefully constructed machinery they're built for. Might be worth a look, though."

"I can send a message to Miss Kelly and ask her if it is ok for you to have a look at the ship and also ask her how the Seraina's Tass batteries work."
Joakim offered and picked up his phone again.
"It might indeed be worth taking a look if you think the tass in there can help our cause young man."

He nodded, "Just keep in mind, I'm not asking about good Tass that people would want to use for themselves, just any quantities of Tass so resonated they would be wary of using it under most circumstances. I'd hate to deprive, say, a pyromancer of the slightly Dynamic Tass they favour for fueling their fireballs, for example, or a warding specialist of the slightly Static Tass they might rely on to reinforce the defenses on the walls..."

"Good point...well we can see what we can find but most would not keep Tass around that are to Resonated to use Mr Wainwright so the only source for that I can think of are Miss Kelly's ship and Master William's stores since he naturally use more Static Quintessence than other magi."

He smiled, "I am quite aware of how valuable such an undertaking would be - and also that it would likely take am impressive amount of work to accomplish it - but I think I have a chance at pulling it off, and a better chance than most at draining the poison without suffering ill effects from it, so to speak. Obviously, I'd have to look closer at it, but i think it would be well worth my time; we're going to need all the combat capable Umbral Ships we can get soon enough..."

"Yes it would likely be both time consuming and difficult but if you could pull it off there is likely to be a tidy profit in it for you, off course such a clean up job would have to be done after we deal with Abigail and her Labyrinth. As for combat capable, I do not know Mr Wainwright. Mary's Serafina is a research frigate however as she is designed for deep Umbra travel she is well armed."
Joakim explained.
"My guess is that Miss Kelly would want to sell the ship though if it is ever put into such a state that it can change hands safely."

He nodded, "I'm sure he wouldn't want to apply tainted Quintessence to any teleportation - but using it to boost subtler effects such as long-range surveillance might be useful."

"The question then Mr Wainwright is how much finesse that rote of yours allow you, the way I understand it your spell allow you to burn of Quintessence the question is if that can then be used to form detailed, complicated rotes at a distance without drawing it through the caster's Avatar, for we do not want Master Harris to have trouble with to much Resonance."
Joakim said sounding skeptical.

Later:

Colin looked up at Adjan, "Plan V, i presume? Yes, it's the most horrible plan I've ever come up with... I really don't wish to do so, but if we can't pull off anything else, I will do it. I... won't force that task on anyone else; this is my idea, and my burden... I'd rather not discuss it; better to come up with working alternative plans that can be tried first."

"Yeah...plan...V."
Adjan said and sigh and shook his head and looked at the notes.
"No it is not a good plan but if it is the last...possible option to deal with Matty and her Avatar...I will help you do it, however I will only do that if we can not find any other plan, only if it is the absolutely last resort..."
He said.

He frowned, "So it seemed to them more like a sort of hybrid spirit creature than... Hm, that insight could possibly have some value."

"It would seam so Mr Wainwright...and yes that might be useful knowledge to us, we can not easily deal with this creature but perhaps we can find some way to disturb the bond between Matty's Avatar and whatever spirit it is merged with..."
Joakim said and frowned.

Colin straightened his back where he stood by Joakim's desk, and gave the two Masters a quick bow.

The two Masters of the Art gave you polite nods in return.

He gestured toward the chair he'd been using a few minutes earlier, "Oh, I do insist, Milady."

Crexia gave you a warm smile and sat down.
"Thank you Mr Wainwright, very considerate of you."
She said then she looked at Joakim and then at the rest of you.
"Well then gentlemen, where are we at what are our plans thus far?"
She inquired.

He looked over at Hans, "You saved as many as you could, getting them back... I don't think there was anything more you could have done, was there?"

"I...do not think there was more I could have done no but even so...we lost two good people Mr Wainwright, Joe is friend with their students...I used to play bridge with...and I could not save them...not in time..."
Hans muttered softly and looked down.
"I...just was not fast enough and now I have to tell their apprentices that...I could not bring their teachers to safety in time..."
He added shamefully.

(OOC: Aww now you are making Lisa very sad, she would like a new fancy beastie to use to attack other mages with, Traditionalists taste good I hear. Razz )

Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:46 pm

"Ah yes the little german with the mustache? To some extent he is right, he believed that for good and nobility to have any value there had to be the option to do evil, that if one help one's fellow men just out of a sense of duty or just because religion or social norms force it then it is not truly kindness, that true kindness can only occur when there is the choice and capability to not offer it, and to some extent that is true, then again from the perspective of those helped or those who where the victims of evil it matters little if it was done truly with will and intent or just as a part of social or other norms...You would not be the only one Sodalis...the man had some points, but he...was over thinking things I think and ended up in rather dark places at times.""

"I suppose if you put it like that, yes you do need the capacity to do wrong to do any good...still, respect could come from more than avoidance of evil. Free will is a bit more complicated than that, without even beginning to argue the meaning of god being dead. Some of the man's more existential views were taken in dark directions by others even though he said that overcoming that is one of the ways for humanity to progress."

"No...no it's not." He frowned.

He frowned at that and then shook his head. "Perhaps not the best time for philosophy chat."

"Interesting idea."

He shook his head, "No, don't worry about it - I was just a little wary after your righteous outburst. It's a strained situation we're in... And yes, thank you."

He tilted his head at him in realization, his eyes narrowing a bit. "You thought I was going to take it from you. I admit I thought about it and that's what I want to do, to relieve you of such a burden. But I don't want to waste time fighting you for it."

"Understood, one man's trash is another's treasure."

//sitting room//

"Yes, the problem though is finding that solution, but we will persevere, we have to." She said as she looked up at the roof.

"We have to and we will."

"Not really very Resonated Quintessence is better left alone. I hear vampire blood is like Tass but heavily Entropic and Static and I have heard rumors though I do not know if it is true or not the fairies have really Dynamic Quintessence that they use. As for mages some of my Tradition use Entropic Tass, dangerously Entropic and there are heavily Resonated Nodes that no one is using, but I do not know of some particular parson really. I have some slightly Entropic Tass on me if that helps."

"Thank you but this is more the type that you don't want to use, the type better left alone, rather than the type that is useful to you," he said gently, shaking his head at her offering. "If it's something that you can use then hold onto it, we might need it later."

"Yes...you are probably right my friend...I would have liked a better future for our descendants though then again this conflict to force us to look at ourself, perhaps in some way it helps us grow, but I would have preferred peace, that being said if not the Asencion War then there is always some conflict or another, perhaps that is how it always will be."

"Before the current wars, we warred against each other. There has been some progress in that at least...we might yet be able to have some peace."

//later Joakim's office//

"Ehm...this makes me very uncomfortable." He muttered.

"Me too."

"Yeah...plan...V." Adjan said and sigh and shook his head and looked at the notes. "No it is not a good plan but if it is the last...possible option to deal with Matty and her Avatar...I will help you do it, however I will only do that if we can not find any other plan, only if it is the absolutely last resort..." He said.

He looked at Adjan with a frown. "I don't think any good will come of it. Please, help us think of something else..."

"I did contact my friends, they said that they did not understand what you met in the corridor, they said that." He flipped though his own note book to find what he had written down. "It was wrong, it was partly like us and partly that which we can not touch, but not like the one with the beacon inside more like the child born into physical existence with one like us mixed into what we can not touch but not exactly the same."

"Hmm..." he added that to the notes regarding Matty. Then he added into the same note, 'Did you get a hold of M. T? Also, how long until we know what's become of our earlier plan with the animal?'

"Hum...if Marry use some time before she can release that soul of hers, or for it to be able to attack, that might just give us time to act." He said."Unfortunately not enough for the Spirit Masters to do their grim work."

"No, it wasn't. But maybe for another plan."

"Thank you for coming, please come in." He said. "Ehm...I am sorry I do not have more chairs." He said and Crexia waved it off.

He stood up as well and after Colin offered the chair to Lady Crexia, he offered his own seat to Master Harris. "Sir, if you wish..."

"Well then gentlemen, where are we at what are our plans thus far?" She inquired.

"There is an outline of the two main plans on the table right now, ma'am," he said, gesturing to the note Adjan still had.

// Ew, well they did ask for elven light shield >. <  Guess next time they'll be a little more careful? And hey, no we already had avatar eating beasts that was plenty bad enough, lol
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:26 pm

Earlier Joakim's office:

"I suppose if you put it like that, yes you do need the capacity to do wrong to do any good...still, respect could come from more than avoidance of evil. Free will is a bit more complicated than that, without even beginning to argue the meaning of god being dead. Some of the man's more existential views were taken in dark directions by others even though he said that overcoming that is one of the ways for humanity to progress."

"I think that for him it was a long standing hatred of Christianity. Nietzsche felt that religion oppressed man and prevented human kind from reaching for greatness. In any case as with all thinkers he had some good ideas and some bad ones and while I find his words interesting I can not say I agree with all of his opinions."
Joakim said and nodded.

"No...no it's not." He frowned.

The old Hermetic just nods at this and gave you a tired look.

He frowned at that and then shook his head. "Perhaps not the best time for philosophy chat."

"Yes indeed let us stay on topic we do not have to much time to figure out a plan for how to deal with that Labyrinth."
Joakim agreed.

"Well if we can find some tactical use of something that is not safe to use for any of the rest of us then I am all for it and if it can give us an edge right now that would be a boon."
Joakim muttered.
"We are going to have to see what can be arranged."

Sitting room:

"We have to and we will."

Francesca just nodded at that a look of determination in her eyes.

"Thank you but this is more the type that you don't want to use, the type better left alone, rather than the type that is useful to you," he said gently, shaking his head at her offering. "If it's something that you can use then hold onto it, we might need it later."

The young Euthanatos nodded and put the bullets back in her bag.
"Then I do not know where to find what you speak about Adley, other than corrupted or other Resonated Nodes and I do not know where to find those, there are one in New York City but other than that I do not know."

Before the current wars, we warred against each other. There has been some progress in that at least...we might yet be able to have some peace."

"Yes, let us hope that we can have some peace...nothing would make me happier but yes you are right our history are full of conflict, even before the current Asencion War...perhaps we mages are not so advanced and developed as we like to believe, and perhaps one day we will learn to make peace though I fear that day is long off my friend."
Adjan said and sigh.

Joakim's office later:

He looked at Adjan with a frown. "I don't think any good will come of it. Please, help us think of something else..."

Adjan sigh and looked down at the notebook.
"No I doubt anything good will come of it my friend, but we might have no other choice, as for other options, there are some indication that what are happening is that this girl's Avatar is mixed with a spirit...could we undo that in some way perhaps? Or instead of attacking this soul, go after whatever dark entity made it like that and hope that will undo it's creations as well?"
The Euthanatos suggested.

"Hmm..." he added that to the notes regarding Matty. Then he added into the same note, 'Did you get a hold of M. T? Also, how long until we know what's become of our earlier plan with the animal?'

"No not yet."
Joakim said as he read your note.
"There have been to many to contact I have not gotten to it yet...as for the animal that is underway, I do not know anything more yet they will call when they get to the apartment."
He informed you.

"No, it wasn't. But maybe for another plan."

"Well if that thing is part spirit it will give us some more options."
Joakim said and folded his hands into a bridge.
"I wonder if a Gauntlet prison would hold it...though trying something like that out would be to much of a risk I think, however if already prepared such a rote could be executed quickly."

He stood up as well and after Colin offered the chair to Lady Crexia, he offered his own seat to Master Harris. "Sir, if you wish..."

Hans gave you a grateful look, he hesitated for a moment and did not want to seam weak, but then he sank down into the chair.
"Thank you Mr Roth Hicks..."
He muttered.

"There is an outline of the two main plans on the table right now, ma'am," he said, gesturing to the note Adjan still had.

Crexia nodded and touched the book...just touched it with the tip of her fingers then she nodded.
"Hum...sending the girl forwards in time...it might work but it depend on how bound to a linear flow of time her Avatar is, if it was a regular Avatar I would guess it would work, their perception are bound to the perceptions of the host and vice versa but this thing...hum...we could perhaps also try to freeze it down, not in time but with so much static Resonance that it gets stalled enough for us to come up with another solution or to attack it directly. It would be tricky though and I am not sure if it would work...as for hem...plan V as Mr Wainwright seam to be calling it...it have to be a last possible resort, believe me I have seen what happens when mages create vampires..."
She muttered and Joakim gave her a dark look, the old archmaga looked up at the hedge wizard apologetically.
"However if we find no other solution likely to work...we might not have any other choice."
She said and made her voice hard.
"And may the gods forgive us for it..."

(OOC: Well it was just one Avatar eater most of them are still on Horizon. Surly we can give Lisa one more infernal pet? And besides that Avatar Eater liked Adley. Razz )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:27 am

Joakim could not help but give a bit of an amused grin at that.
"Just do not be insulted if the good man ignore you or say something rude, he mean nothing bad about it he is just...well as I said not the most social fellow."
He cautioned.
Colin grinned, "I think I can handle unintentional impoliteness. Besides, it's surprising what you can learn if you just watch and listen to someone ramble on when they've forgotten you're there..."

"I think that for him it was a long standing hatred of Christianity. Nietzsche felt that religion oppressed man and prevented human kind from reaching for greatness. In any case as with all thinkers he had some good ideas and some bad ones and while I find his words interesting I can not say I agree with all of his opinions."
Joakim said and nodded.
He frowned, "Quite, the problem with that attitude is that it's a half-truth... Religion - all religion - has historically been the greatest promoter of artistic expression in the world, and without art, in the words of Sir Winston Churchill, what the hell would we be fighting for? Religion has had something of a more rocky relationship with hard science, though, which is problematic..."

"I do not know, however members of the Sons of Ether compete heavily with one another to have articles published in the Paradigma, I am sure it is possible to find out what their rate are when we have more time."
He grinned, "I'm sure I could leverage a fair sum if I let them have the first chance to publish, say, a novel rote intended for general distribution? Something of great academic value, like a means to burn off heavily resonated Tass, or make practical use of such in a way that does not carry the normal risk of exposure?"

"I can send a message to Miss Kelly and ask her if it is ok for you to have a look at the ship and also ask her how the Seraina's Tass batteries work."
Joakim offered and picked up his phone again.
"It might indeed be worth taking a look if you think the tass in there can help our cause young man."
He nodded, "Come to think of it - a few large loads of Quintessence like that could be immensely useful in assisting the tearing down of the anticipated Aegis at the Labyrinth quickly. I might not have the finesse to pluck the threads apart, but I should be able to assist whoever does so by fueling raw power directly into the spell."

"Yes it would likely be both time consuming and difficult but if you could pull it off there is likely to be a tidy profit in it for you, off course such a clean up job would have to be done after we deal with Abigail and her Labyrinth. As for combat capable, I do not know Mr Wainwright. Mary's Serafina is a research frigate however as she is designed for deep Umbra travel she is well armed."
Joakim explained.
"My guess is that Miss Kelly would want to sell the ship though if it is ever put into such a state that it can change hands safely."
He nodded, "Well, one thing at a time."

He tilted his head at him in realization, his eyes narrowing a bit. "You thought I was going to take it from you. I admit I thought about it and that's what I want to do, to relieve you of such a burden. But I don't want to waste time fighting you for it."
He shook his head, "No, I think you have too much respect for me as a friend and Cabalmate for that... I was briefly worried you were angry at me personally over that... bottled shit. But your grip at least suggests that's not the case. Which is a bit of a relief."

"The question then Mr Wainwright is how much finesse that rote of yours allow you, the way I understand it your spell allow you to burn of Quintessence the question is if that can then be used to form detailed, complicated rotes at a distance without drawing it through the caster's Avatar, for we do not want Master Harris to have trouble with to much Resonance."
Joakim said sounding skeptical.
He nodded, "That rote, in its basic function, doesn't actually use the Quintessence for anything. It draws Quintessence from a sufficiently readily available source - be that a spell that's cracked open, like a Ball of Abysmal Flame for example, or a Node, or a pile of Tass - and funnels it unprocessed into a designated effect. The most convenient application I've had for it to date is the generation of a blade of primal flame, but that's quite frankly a crude and vulgar use of the power. It's essentially like this..."
He quickly doodled three circles on a scrap of paper and drew a line between two of them, "Now, let's say this circle represents a Mage, and this one a spell," he marked off the two connected circles with M and S, respectively, "and of course, the Mage needs some Quintessence to power the spell. He's got some resonated Tass available," he marked the third circle with a T, "but he can't safely process that throught his Avatar. My rote essentially makes a shortcut of it all - it's unrefined and rather brutish, but it can certainly be applied to delicate work, so long as you don't mind a certain flavour to the result," he added, making a short double line between the 'T' and 'S' circles.
He scratched just above his ear with the back of his pen, "It might - might - be tricky to use it for the more delicate parts of a complex working, but it should be perfectly fine for just adding muscle. And with the likely defenses and wards the Labyrinth has, muscle just might be the precise thing we need in ample supply."

"Precisely that."

--- Later ---

"Yeah...plan...V."
Adjan said and sigh and shook his head and looked at the notes.
"No it is not a good plan but if it is the last...possible option to deal with Matty and her Avatar...I will help you do it, however I will only do that if we can not find any other plan, only if it is the absolutely last resort..."
He said.
Colin nodded, "Thank you... but as I said, let's concentrate on making plan B work now, and come up with plans C through U, if necessary."

"It would seam so Mr Wainwright...and yes that might be useful knowledge to us, we can not easily deal with this creature but perhaps we can find some way to disturb the bond between Matty's Avatar and whatever spirit it is merged with..."
Joakim said and frowned.
He pondered, "Is there perhaps some means to target the... what's the term... baser ephemera that make up part of the Avatar? Sort of like targeting cancerous cells in a body with radiation?"

"Well then gentlemen, where are we at what are our plans thus far?"
She inquired.
He sighed, "We have... one terrible plan which most likely will work perfectly, and one morally acceptable plan which just might work... We'd rather avoid the terrible plan. The more acceptable plan would be to fling miss Carlyle into the future, along with her Avatar - we're gambling on her Avatar preferring to stay by her side rather than harass us while temporally separated from its host, due to its extremely protective nature."

"I...do not think there was more I could have done no but even so...we lost two good people Mr Wainwright, Joe is friend with their students...I used to play bridge with...and I could not save them...not in time..."
Hans muttered softly and looked down.
"I...just was not fast enough and now I have to tell their apprentices that...I could not bring their teachers to safety in time..."
He added shamefully.
He nodded, "I've heard enough of what happened to suspect nobody could have reacted fast enough..."

Adjan sigh and looked down at the notebook.
"No I doubt anything good will come of it my friend, but we might have no other choice, as for other options, there are some indication that what are happening is that this girl's Avatar is mixed with a spirit...could we undo that in some way perhaps? Or instead of attacking this soul, go after whatever dark entity made it like that and hope that will undo it's creations as well?"
Colin paused for a moment, "While I really like that idea in principle, I must ask, how would we find out who miss Carlyle's patron is? I suppose I could ask miss Jerkins about it, but frankly, I doubt she would tell me even if she knew..."

"Hum...sending the girl forwards in time...it might work but it depend on how bound to a linear flow of time her Avatar is, if it was a regular Avatar I would guess it would work, their perception are bound to the perceptions of the host and vice versa but this thing...hum...we could perhaps also try to freeze it down, not in time but with so much static Resonance that it gets stalled enough for us to come up with another solution or to attack it directly. It would be tricky though and I am not sure if it would work...as for hem...plan V as Mr Wainwright seam to be calling it...it have to be a last possible resort, believe me I have seen what happens when mages create vampires..."
He looked up at Lady Crexia for a moment, and back down at the notes, "I'd be willing to wager the Avatar would follow miss Carlyle through time in order to stay close and protect her, even if it were detached in time - but bogging it down in Static Resonance... Milady, I've got a rote I mean to teach you and a few others; a sort of magical proxy to funnel quintessence safely from any available source into any spell... I've used it with great success and no ill effect to make tainted primal blades from Fallen Tass; Master Harris already knows the trick... I wonder, though, if you might be able to force-feed the Avatar into a bloated and gorged state? Hum, and come to think of it, what might that do in relation to the Paradox it likely accumulated in the last clash?"

"However if we find no other solution likely to work...we might not have any other choice."
She said and made her voice hard.
"And may the gods forgive us for it..."
He nodded, his voice a bit softer, "And that solution is why we're still working for alternatives... because if we have to do this, I don't think it matters if the gods forgive us; I'm not sure we'll ever be able to forgive ourselves..."

((OOC: The Avatar Eater liked everyone, but really, that was sort of like a wolverine liking the residents in a henhouse... fortunately, the local chickens were very well armed...))
((OOC2: Well, the blacksmith WAS very reluctant to sell the shield, as such - he himself found it disgusting, and he'd gotten it in error and couldn't seem to be rid of it properly anyway... The party managed to get a nifty armor from him later, though - a Werebear Fur Armor: basically a furry standard Leather Armor that granted the wearer Damage Reduction 1, as a special material bonus. Acquiring werebear fur for more such armors might prove an epic challenge later... Wink ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:24 am

Earlier:

Colin grinned, "I think I can handle unintentional impoliteness. Besides, it's surprising what you can learn if you just watch and listen to someone ramble on when they've forgotten you're there..."

"That is true Mr Wainwright and Master William might do just that, forget that you are there and just continue with his regular tasks and behavior."
Joakim said and nodded in agreement.

He frowned, "Quite, the problem with that attitude is that it's a half-truth... Religion - all religion - has historically been the greatest promoter of artistic expression in the world, and without art, in the words of Sir Winston Churchill, what the hell would we be fighting for? Religion has had something of a more rocky relationship with hard science, though, which is problematic..."

"Religion can be a great source of inspiration Mr Wainwright, it can bring out the best in people, art, good deeds, a striving to be better, greater, but it can also bring out the worst in people. I tend to think it is not belief and worship of a god that is the problem but when you have individuals and organizations striving for power so the divine gets lost in dogma that is the problem."
The old Hermetic said and sipped his coffee.
"Besides I have met a few gods...some of them are not the worst things in the world to dedicate oneself to."

He grinned, "I'm sure I could leverage a fair sum if I let them have the first chance to publish, say, a novel rote intended for general distribution? Something of great academic value, like a means to burn off heavily resonated Tass, or make practical use of such in a way that does not carry the normal risk of exposure?"

"It is quite possible they would be willing to pay handsomely for that yes, however you would have to discuss it with them as I have never published any articles though their magazine though I do read it at times."

He nodded, "Come to think of it - a few large loads of Quintessence like that could be immensely useful in assisting the tearing down of the anticipated Aegis at the Labyrinth quickly. I might not have the finesse to pluck the threads apart, but I should be able to assist whoever does so by fueling raw power directly into the spell."

"Flinging corrupted Quintessence around, my my it is not yet six in the morning an already this is turning out to be quite the day."
Joakim said as he sent his text message.
"Just promise to be careful about it young man."
He said as he got a reply and read it.
"Miss Kelly says she do not have anything against you using the Tass in her ship and she offers to meet you in the lobby to discuss how it could be done once we are done with this meeting."
He informed you.

He nodded, "Well, one thing at a time."

"Indeed Mr Wainwright, one thing at the time."
Joakim said and nodded.

He nodded, "That rote, in its basic function, doesn't actually use the Quintessence for anything. It draws Quintessence from a sufficiently readily available source - be that a spell that's cracked open, like a Ball of Abysmal Flame for example, or a Node, or a pile of Tass - and funnels it unprocessed into a designated effect. The most convenient application I've had for it to date is the generation of a blade of primal flame, but that's quite frankly a crude and vulgar use of the power. It's essentially like this..."
He quickly doodled three circles on a scrap of paper and drew a line between two of them, "Now, let's say this circle represents a Mage, and this one a spell," he marked off the two connected circles with M and S, respectively, "and of course, the Mage needs some Quintessence to power the spell. He's got some resonated Tass available," he marked the third circle with a T, "but he can't safely process that throught his Avatar. My rote essentially makes a shortcut of it all - it's unrefined and rather brutish, but it can certainly be applied to delicate work, so long as you don't mind a certain flavour to the result," he added, making a short double line between the 'T' and 'S' circles.

The old hedge wizard leaned forward to look at what you where drawing and he nodded.
"Hum...that would make sense Mr Waonwright...I guess it all depends on Master Harris then if he can make use of something like that to delicate teleportation work but yes I guess you are right that it could be used for something like that, though I am not sure if such delicate work is where that should be tested out and we do have some clean, good vis to work with."

He scratched just above his ear with the back of his pen, "It might - might - be tricky to use it for the more delicate parts of a complex working, but it should be perfectly fine for just adding muscle. And with the likely defenses and wards the Labyrinth has, muscle just might be the precise thing we need in ample supply."

"Usually a spell is done as one thing, woven together so I think it might be hard to use different Quintessence sources for two different parts of a spell, then again my magick is a little different so I would not really know. I guess we have to talk with Master Harris about it."
Joakim said though he sounded a bit skeptical.

Later:

Colin nodded, "Thank you... but as I said, let's concentrate on making plan B work now, and come up with plans C through U, if necessary."

The Euthanatos gave you a nod at that as he regarded you for a moment.

He pondered, "Is there perhaps some means to target the... what's the term... baser ephemera that make up part of the Avatar? Sort of like targeting cancerous cells in a body with radiation?"

"It is possible, Avatars are quite well how should I describe them...hard to put one's finger or anything else on, they belong to a higher plane of existence, if this soul is mixed with a baser spirit then we might indeed be able to affect those spirit parts...hum...we have Master Ir and Lady Philippa's son, the boy was born with his Avatar fused with an Umbrood and examinations was done on him there have to be some documentation of that somewhere. That soul function as a regular Avatar though...for the most part though it have made the boy somewhat...unusual."
Joakim said and tapped the side of his coffee mug with a long, thin finger as he spoke.

He sighed, "We have... one terrible plan which most likely will work perfectly, and one morally acceptable plan which just might work... We'd rather avoid the terrible plan. The more acceptable plan would be to fling miss Carlyle into the future, along with her Avatar - we're gambling on her Avatar preferring to stay by her side rather than harass us while temporally separated from its host, due to its extremely protective nature."

"Hum...do we know if it perceives space? It could be that if we fling it into the future with it's host then it can still harass us while also being by her side."
Crexia said then she frowned.
"It did seam rather protective yes, the poor thing..."

He nodded, "I've heard enough of what happened to suspect nobody could have reacted fast enough..."

Hans looked at you and nodded but he still looked regretful and sad.
"Perhaps you are right Mr Wainwright but even so I...think I will never stop wondering if there was not something I could have done differently, something that would have saved them."
He muttered and Crexia gave him a comforting pat on the arm.
"You did what you could Hans."
She said softly and he looked up at her and smiled slightly to her but he did not seam convinced.

Colin paused for a moment, "While I really like that idea in principle, I must ask, how would we find out who miss Carlyle's patron is? I suppose I could ask miss Jerkins about it, but frankly, I doubt she would tell me even if she knew..."

"And examination of the girl's Resonance could possibly lead us to the patron, and there are plenty of her resonance all over that cemetery my good man."
Crexia said and glanced over at you.
"Getting some of her energy all that needs doing is separating out which parts are hers, and then we have what is left...which must then be whatever she is bound to, it should not be to hard to then refine out things like Familiar bounds if she have any and lingering magick and be left with an energetic trace to the Patron, it is doable but will take time unfortunately though I can do some of the work in a time bubble."

He looked up at Lady Crexia for a moment, and back down at the notes, "I'd be willing to wager the Avatar would follow miss Carlyle through time in order to stay close and protect her, even if it were detached in time -

"If there is any following involved Mr Wainwright, there might now be any time for this creature. For you I am here with you in this point in time, five hours for now is another time and if I traveled five hours forward in time I would no longer be here with you, but for Miss Carlyle's soul, now and five hours into the future might be exactly the same space in time, there might be no flow of time, no difference between now and then and so it might be five hours into the future and here at the same time for it there is no difference."
Crexia explained and Hans nodded.

but bogging it down in Static Resonance... Milady, I've got a rote I mean to teach you and a few others; a sort of magical proxy to funnel quintessence safely from any available source into any spell... I've used it with great success and no ill effect to make tainted primal blades from Fallen Tass; Master Harris already knows the trick... I wonder, though, if you might be able to force-feed the Avatar into a bloated and gorged state? Hum, and come to think of it, what might that do in relation to the Paradox it likely accumulated in the last clash?"

"Hum...that is an interesting rote you describe there Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said and Hans nodded.
"It is quite practical Crexia, so...simple and yet it can really siphon off undesired Quintessence quite easily."
He said sounding approving and the old maga nodded then she looked at you.
"Normally when you fill your Avatar with to much Quintessence it will start harming you and then harming it, the Paradox stays the same but you could literary tear someone apart body and soul with filling them with to much Quintessence the question is how fast that can be done for that thing do not sit still and let itself be attacked."
She warned and Hans looked down.

He nodded, his voice a bit softer, "And that solution is why we're still working for alternatives... because if we have to do this, I don't think it matters if the gods forgive us; I'm not sure we'll ever be able to forgive ourselves..."

"No...we never will."
Crexia said softly and looked away.
"We never will..."

(OOC: True but Adley was found to be very delicious...if somewhat spicy food. Razz But yes Avatar eaters loves mages, though they prefer helpless kidnapped Orphans that do not fight back. As for wearbear fur, well your characters in this game might end up getting some. Razz )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:32 am

"Religion can be a great source of inspiration Mr Wainwright, it can bring out the best in people, art, good deeds, a striving to be better, greater, but it can also bring out the worst in people. I tend to think it is not belief and worship of a god that is the problem but when you have individuals and organizations striving for power so the divine gets lost in dogma that is the problem."
The old Hermetic said and sipped his coffee.
"Besides I have met a few gods...some of them are not the worst things in the world to dedicate oneself to."
Colin nodded, "I don't have much experience with gods, but I've had some... more or less unpleasant experiences with mortal agencies, both secular and religious. Politics screw up everything, it seems..."

"Flinging corrupted Quintessence around, my my it is not yet six in the morning an already this is turning out to be quite the day."
Joakim said as he sent his text message.
"Just promise to be careful about it young man."
He grinned, "I've had a long night, and power is just a means to an end. Putting large quantities of otherwise dangerous power to immediate good use seems a valid strategy."
He cleared his throat, "Ah, of course I'll be careful - I shouldn't contract any Resonance from using tainted quintessence as such - but as the effect gets highly... coloured by the power source, I don't think being inside the proverbial blast radius is going to do anyone any favours. I'd use such Tass to break down doors and wards, or generate prime bolts or the like, but I wouldn't want to use it for, say, healing spells."

"Miss Kelly says she do not have anything against you using the Tass in her ship and she offers to meet you in the lobby to discuss how it could be done once we are done with this meeting."
He informed you.
He nodded, "I'll be glad to see her afterwards, then."

"Hum...that would make sense Mr Waonwright...I guess it all depends on Master Harris then if he can make use of something like that to delicate teleportation work but yes I guess you are right that it could be used for something like that, though I am not sure if such delicate work is where that should be tested out and we do have some clean, good vis to work with."
He nodded, "Of course, the tainted Tass should only be employed as a fallback - or for deliberate impact when 'delicate' no longer applies. Master Harris' judgement and knowledge of his fields of expertise should be more than adequate for him to determine the proper risk/reward balance."

"Usually a spell is done as one thing, woven together so I think it might be hard to use different Quintessence sources for two different parts of a spell, then again my magick is a little different so I would not really know. I guess we have to talk with Master Harris about it."
He scratched behind his ear, "I can't say this with absolute certainty, of course, but from what I remember of a mundane programming class I took years ago, it's a fairly simple matter to dedicate specific memory blocks to specific subroutines in a program. I surmise Master Harris would be using similar techniques."

--- Later ---
"It is possible, Avatars are quite well how should I describe them...hard to put one's finger or anything else on, they belong to a higher plane of existence, if this soul is mixed with a baser spirit then we might indeed be able to affect those spirit parts...hum...we have Master Ir and Lady Philippa's son, the boy was born with his Avatar fused with an Umbrood and examinations was done on him there have to be some documentation of that somewhere. That soul function as a regular Avatar though...for the most part though it have made the boy somewhat...unusual."
Colin nodded, "Yes, a very perceptive kid with a decidedly... different outlook on the world."

"Hum...do we know if it perceives space? It could be that if we fling it into the future with it's host then it can still harass us while also being by her side."
Colin shrugged, "I can't say with absolutely certainty, but it seems likely the thing understands space. As I understood miss Mandis, it was very precise in flinging people directly away from miss Carlyle, rather than in arbitrary directions, implying a certain reliance on the concept of vectors."

Hans looked at you and nodded but he still looked regretful and sad.
"Perhaps you are right Mr Wainwright but even so I...think I will never stop wondering if there was not something I could have done differently, something that would have saved them."
He muttered and Crexia gave him a comforting pat on the arm.
"You did what you could Hans."
She said softly and he looked up at her and smiled slightly to her but he did not seam convinced.
He glanced over at Hans, eyes suddenly a thousand miles away for a brief moment, "No... I don't suppose you will... I'm sorry I can't give you comfort there, but some things never truly let go... Like me back then, you worked with incomplete intel, and... that's where the devil was hiding."

"And examination of the girl's Resonance could possibly lead us to the patron, and there are plenty of her resonance all over that cemetery my good man."
Crexia said and glanced over at you.
"Getting some of her energy all that needs doing is separating out which parts are hers, and then we have what is left...which must then be whatever she is bound to, it should not be to hard to then refine out things like Familiar bounds if she have any and lingering magick and be left with an energetic trace to the Patron, it is doable but will take time unfortunately though I can do some of the work in a time bubble."
He nodded, "That sounds good to me. The big question, then, is whether or not it's safe to snoop around for such a being, even in a time bubble? Still, I like the idea of trying to unravel miss Carlyle's changes by taking out her patron - and seeing as what her patron is, removing that from the equation in the first place would probably be for the better on a cosmic scale anyway."

"If there is any following involved Mr Wainwright, there might now be any time for this creature. For you I am here with you in this point in time, five hours for now is another time and if I traveled five hours forward in time I would no longer be here with you, but for Miss Carlyle's soul, now and five hours into the future might be exactly the same space in time, there might be no flow of time, no difference between now and then and so it might be five hours into the future and here at the same time for it there is no difference."
He nodded thoughtfully, "This is a concern that's been raised, but... I think the gamble is worth it. I'm no expert on Avatars, obviously, but I would hazard that having miss Carlyle suddenly removed from the immediate danger might render her Avatar somewhat less aggressive - it is, after all, a dedicated protector, and if its, er, ward is no longer in immediate danger in this now, it just might decide the pain of combat isn't worth it. Or, of course, if we can send both through time in one go, why would it return to fight us in the past rather than stay close to miss Carlyle?"

"Hum...that is an interesting rote you describe there Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said and Hans nodded.
"It is quite practical Crexia, so...simple and yet it can really siphon off undesired Quintessence quite easily."
He said sounding approving and the old maga nodded then she looked at you.
"Normally when you fill your Avatar with to much Quintessence it will start harming you and then harming it, the Paradox stays the same but you could literary tear someone apart body and soul with filling them with to much Quintessence the question is how fast that can be done for that thing do not sit still and let itself be attacked."
He nodded, "It's a very flexible piece of... meta-magic, I suppose. With an external Quintessence supply, I think you could manage to essentially use my rote to attach said supply to the Avatar like an intravenous bottle; you'd just have to wedge it in there, and then let it run its course while you defend yourself from the thing."

((OOC: "Hey, that's an awesome leather coat you have there!" "Thanks, but there's a bit of a problem with it. Every full moon, it becomes a heavy fur coat. Not pleasant on an August night..." ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Earlier:

Colin nodded, "I don't have much experience with gods, but I've had some... more or less unpleasant experiences with mortal agencies, both secular and religious. Politics screw up everything, it seems..."

"I have met a few gods, powerful spirits, awe inspiring but like with all Umbroods they are what they are and nothing else...churches and politics though, those I am less positive towards than the gods themselves and I doubt those entities would much like their followers either if they could understand them.

He grinned, "I've had a long night, and power is just a means to an end. Putting large quantities of otherwise dangerous power to immediate good use seems a valid strategy."

"Well if you can make it work Mr Wainwright I am all for it Mr Wainwright. It sounds good to me to use what would be dangerous for us to use otherwise to slap Abigail in the face with."
Joakim said and nodded approvingly.

He cleared his throat, "Ah, of course I'll be careful - I shouldn't contract any Resonance from using tainted quintessence as such - but as the effect gets highly... coloured by the power source, I don't think being inside the proverbial blast radius is going to do anyone any favours. I'd use such Tass to break down doors and wards, or generate prime bolts or the like, but I wouldn't want to use it for, say, healing spells."

"Well you do not attract Resonance that you would have if the filth was flowing through your spiritual part, but Resonance is more than that, what you are around and what you do, even what you do on a mundane level will eventually color you, that is part of being a mage, so if you are around to much destruction your Resonance will become destructive for example, even if it is at a slower rate than if you where working directly with it magickally."
Joakim warned.

He nodded, "I'll be glad to see her afterwards, then."

"Very good I will let Miss Kelly know."

He nodded, "Of course, the tainted Tass should only be employed as a fallback - or for deliberate impact when 'delicate' no longer applies. Master Harris' judgement and knowledge of his fields of expertise should be more than adequate for him to determine the proper risk/reward balance."

"What I mean Mr Wainwright is that if let us say a mage want to cast a fireball five miles from here, then both the teleportation part of the spell and the blast would be the same rote as such if Master Harris where to use that corrupted Tass for the blast part at a distance he would have to use it for the delicate part of getting the fireball there in the first place as well, and as such your safety mechanism might not work, but we are going to have to ask him about that to work out the details."
The Security Chief explained.

He scratched behind his ear, "I can't say this with absolute certainty, of course, but from what I remember of a mundane programming class I took years ago, it's a fairly simple matter to dedicate specific memory blocks to specific subroutines in a program. I surmise Master Harris would be using similar techniques."

"Yes that is true Mr Wainwright but would not the same electricity drive all of the machine and all of the programs on it while one is working?"
Joakim asked then he sigh.
"But like I said we are going to have to ask Master Harris if he can compartmentalize things in such a way within his Paradigm."

Later:

Colin nodded, "Yes, a very perceptive kid with a decidedly... different outlook on the world."

"That he is...the boy thinks very much like an Umbrood would, at least in many ways."
Joakim said and nodded.
"His soul is not the same as that of Miss Carlyle it never leave him but perhaps there is enough similarities that what have been learned from his condition could be of use to us."
He muttered.

Colin shrugged, "I can't say with absolutely certainty, but it seems likely the thing understands space. As I understood miss Mandis, it was very precise in flinging people directly away from miss Carlyle, rather than in arbitrary directions, implying a certain reliance on the concept of vectors."

"True but then again so can an Umbrood do, you see they see space and time so differently from us. If i where a spirit and I wanted to move something away from you Mr Wainwright I would look at the things that represent you, silver, flying machines, square and stable things and I would attract the opposite if I wanted to get away from you so I might move towards something that is flat on the ground, up, down, left and right have no meaning, symbols and associations are how they navigate."
Joakim explained.

He glanced over at Hans, eyes suddenly a thousand miles away for a brief moment, "No... I don't suppose you will... I'm sorry I can't give you comfort there, but some things never truly let go... Like me back then, you worked with incomplete intel, and... that's where the devil was hiding."

"I...know rationally that there was nothing I could do, I worked as fast as I could, we where overwhelmed and yes we never expected the severity of that attack, however that do not stop my mind from asking itself if there was not something I could have done...anything..."
Hans said sadly.
"It...just ended up being a very bad situation, for everyone involved."
He muttered and looked down at his plump hands.

He nodded, "That sounds good to me. The big question, then, is whether or not it's safe to snoop around for such a being, even in a time bubble?

"We are talking about an evil god with the power to affect and mutate a mage's Avatar Mr Wainwright what about that scenario made you think it would even be close to safe?"
Crexia asked and raised an eyebrow.
"However it still might be easier to take down that patron than the soul itself."

Still, I like the idea of trying to unravel miss Carlyle's changes by taking out her patron - and seeing as what her patron is, removing that from the equation in the first place would probably be for the better on a cosmic scale anyway."

"Well I certainly will not loose any sleep if we manage to take the thing out Mr Wainwright and yes on a cosmic scale that would probably be for the best even if everything, even such dark entities have their place and reason for being."
The old archmaga said then she folded her hands in her lap and added.
"However the reason why I suggest it is that it might be the safest way of undoing the damage and if we are very lucky more Nephandi at the Labyrinth have investments from the same critter and we end up pulling the rug from under their legs at the same time, will it be safe no, but that at least is doable."

He nodded thoughtfully, "This is a concern that's been raised, but... I think the gamble is worth it. I'm no expert on Avatars, obviously, but I would hazard that having miss Carlyle suddenly removed from the immediate danger might render her Avatar somewhat less aggressive - it is, after all, a dedicated protector, and if its, er, ward is no longer in immediate danger in this now, it just might decide the pain of combat isn't worth it. Or, of course, if we can send both through time in one go, why would it return to fight us in the past rather than stay close to miss Carlyle?"

"You are still assuming this Avatar is a part of time, that there is a now for it at all, you can not send something up and down the river of time if it is not even in the water Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said patiently.
"To it, now is both this now, five years into the future and five hundred years in the future...imagine if you live in a two dimensional world, that third dimension just do not exist there is no moving you around in three dimensions there exist just two of them for you, the same is likely the case for this rouge Avatar. Also if we stand ready to attack Miss Carlyle as soon as she show up again in our timeline then she is still in danger, and from the same people, there is likely no difference to her soul."
She added as she regarded Colin.

He nodded, "It's a very flexible piece of... meta-magic, I suppose. With an external Quintessence supply, I think you could manage to essentially use my rote to attach said supply to the Avatar like an intravenous bottle; you'd just have to wedge it in there, and then let it run its course while you defend yourself from the thing."

"We tried to defend ourselves from that thing Mr Wainwright it did not work, whatever we will be doing to it have to happen at once or not at all."
Crexia said and shook her head, Hans looked down for a moment.
"Trying to force feed an Avatar and harming it that way are likely to take far longer than a regular Gilgul ritual and that itself do not take very long if the ritualists are skilled and powerful we do not have much time to do something about it."
She said and frowned.
"We used three minutes from we started the ritual until we had to be evacuated, it took about one minute for Miss Carlyle to summon her little friends and for her soul to attack and we held out for one more minute before we realized we where completely outmatched and...we went down..."
She added darkly.

(OOC: I think that once a were-anything have become a coat it have stopped shape shifting as well. )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:17 pm

He shook his head, "No, I think you have too much respect for me as a friend and Cabalmate for that... I was briefly worried you were angry at me personally over that... bottled shit. But your grip at least suggests that's not the case. Which is a bit of a relief."

"I'm not going to punch you, if that's what you mean," he said, surprised. "But you haven't quite got it right either. I have so much respect for you as a friend and a cabalmate, that I just might have," he corrected. He listened carefully, still trying to get a hold on Colin's rote and it's potential uses as he described it again.

//Joakim's office, later//

"That's a new idea..." he said, and wrote that down.

"No not yet."Joakim said as he read your note. "There have been to many to contact I have not gotten to it yet...as for the animal that is underway, I do not know anything more yet they will call when they get to the apartment.

He nodded.

"Well if that thing is part spirit it will give us some more options." Joakim said and folded his hands into a bridge. "I wonder if a Gauntlet prison would hold it...though trying something like that out would be to much of a risk I think, however if already prepared such a rote could be executed quickly."

He wrote down, 'Just how was this done and what sort of demon or spirit would be able to grant such a thing?'

'I could determine that there were two discrete parts to it and I could see it trying to attack us. It depends on how this amalgam was created or how well it was acheived. The youth's avatar went through the well and so his soul and that of the ephemera forged together somehow in a unique manner, but in this case we are assuming it was done artificially through baser means by some type of Power or magick. Perhaps M. T would have some ideas on how to do that or those records of the youth?' he wrote and then showed them.

'Knowing her patron could help us find out what she's merged with? Is that the idea?' he asked, showing Colin.

He nodded, "That sounds good to me. The big question, then, is whether or not it's safe to snoop around for such a being, even in a time bubble? Still, I like the idea of trying to unravel miss Carlyle's changes by taking out her patron - and seeing as what her patron is, removing that from the equation in the first place would probably be for the better on a cosmic scale anyway."

He raised an eyebrow at the question of safety. 'Safe? No, probably not. It depends what her patron is if that is feasible. Demon hunting takes some time but maybe it would give us a clue how to defeat her, as all Powers are limited by what their functions in specific are and what it's Name is so we can protect against it.'

"It did seam rather protective yes, the poor thing..."

"That's...unpleasant but must be considered," he said. "But..." He wrote a question down and handed it to her. [i]'In the umbra, and amongst spirits space or distance are relational not physical, right? And spirits likewise seem to understand like-ness, if not area and time as we see them being physical manifestations. But might there might be a way to achieve some type of perception shift that creates the sense of distance or proximity based on that, by changing the vibration? Something like the Gauntlet does, the permeability of it..."

Hans gave you a grateful look, he hesitated for a moment and did not want to seam weak, but then he sank down into the chair.
"Thank you Mr Roth Hicks..."

"Of course, sir."

He added that idea down as well, nearby the tie-trap idea and then went on to write some more.

He ran a hand through his hair, looking like that was hurting his head to think about.

"True but then again so can an Umbrood do, you see they see space and time so differently from us. If i where a spirit and I wanted to move something away from you Mr Wainwright I would look at the things that represent you, silver, flying machines, square and stable things and I would attract the opposite if I wanted to get away from you so I might move towards something that is flat on the ground, up, down, left and right have no meaning, symbols and associations are how they navigate."

"Right! I think we could use that..."

// LOL please tell me that the coat changes in moonlight xD Hilarious. Sorry net went down last night.
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:18 pm

"That's a new idea..." he said, and wrote that down.

"Well it is an idea we might work with at least since if this Avatar is half spirit then the Umbrood parts might be more vulnerable that the parts that are made out of Miss Carlyle's Gift."
Joakim said and made some notes of his own.

He wrote down, 'Just how was this done and what sort of demon or spirit would be able to grant such a thing?'

The old Hermetic read your note then he said.
"Well it is a spell. One sort of wrap a spirit or a mage for that matter in the very fabric of the Gauntlet, several magi at this Chantry can pull the rote of."
Joakim said but Crexia did not look convinced.
"Yes but holding something that powerful trapped in a Gauntlet prison is not a good plan, it is not likely to hold for long Joakim."
She said and shook her head.

'I could determine that there were two discrete parts to it and I could see it trying to attack us. It depends on how this amalgam was created or how well it was acheived. The youth's avatar went through the well and so his soul and that of the ephemera forged together somehow in a unique manner, but in this case we are assuming it was done artificially through baser means by some type of Power or magick. Perhaps M. T would have some ideas on how to do that or those records of the youth?' he wrote and then showed them.

"It is true, Lady Arden's young son's Avatar merged with it's Umbrood parts somewhere in the Well or during the process of incarnating and for all we know it was the Avatar's intent to be this way so it could teach the lessons needed to the young man...Miss Carlyle however became such an abomination with an infernal pact that is not the same."
Joakim said once he had read your note.
"I think the boy's parents have the records of his examinations, some of them was done by Master Telar herself though working with Master Ir so perhaps we should indeed contact her before we discuss this any further as she might know more about it than we do."
He agreed.

He raised an eyebrow at the question of safety. 'Safe? No, probably not. It depends what her patron is if that is feasible. Demon hunting takes some time but maybe it would give us a clue how to defeat her, as all Powers are limited by what their functions in specific are and what it's Name is so we can protect against it.'

"It is likely a powerful Umbrood of some kind, a Malfean perhaps, it is not likely to be an typical Infernal entity but some sort of underworld denizen. Knowing it's name would be a boon but I will assume it have not been stupid enough to spread that around, sometimes clues can be found in the investment marks this entity have marked it's slaves with, if our prisoner have the same patron some clues might be found though it would be a puzzle that yes it would take time to figure out and indeed hunting down this demon, for a lack of a better term for it, will take time, they are not easy to find or easy to kill."
Crexia agreed as she read your note.

"That's...unpleasant but must be considered," he said. "But..." He wrote a question down and handed it to her. [i]'In the umbra, and amongst spirits space or distance are relational not physical, right? And spirits likewise seem to understand like-ness, if not area and time as we see them being physical manifestations. But might there might be a way to achieve some type of perception shift that creates the sense of distance or proximity based on that, by changing the vibration? Something like the Gauntlet does, the permeability of it..."

"That is correct Mr Roth Hicks was it? Of House Flambeau?"
Crexia said as she read the note.
"The Umbra is not fully manifested, it is a world of concepts and relations so a spirit would navigate if you will based on that."
She confirmed then she looked a bit puzzled.
"Are you suggesting that we try to confuse that thing by changing the vibrations around it, changing what concepts and connections it feel, perhaps sending it of to search for it's host? That...well that could work actually."
The old maga said sounding a little surprised at the notion, it was not something she would have thought of.

"Of course, sir."

Hans gave you another grateful nod and a slight smile.

"Right! I think we could use that..."

Crexia nodded.
"We could possibly use how that thing most likely see the world against it to confuse it, either to get it to stay with Miss Carlyle when we send her forward in time, well stay with her in our perception or to keep it from attacking us, we just need to figure out how to use it efficiently."
She mushed.

(OOC: Not a problem and net problems, I blame the Technocracy.Razz )
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:50 am

"Well it is an idea we might work with at least since if this Avatar is half spirit then the Umbrood parts might be more vulnerable that the parts that are made out of Miss Carlyle's Gift."

'What I still don't understand is that it is able to attack from its higher aspect though it is partly some other type of spirit. It could sense our avatars and I think it could have attacked us if it got a chance. F. also thought that.' He pushed the paper back to him.

"Well it is a spell. One sort of wrap a spirit or a mage for that matter in the very fabric of the Gauntlet, several magi at this Chantry can pull the rote of." Joakim said but Crexia did not look convinced. "Yes but holding something that powerful trapped in a Gauntlet prison is not a good plan, it is not likely to hold for long Joakim."

"That part I understand, abstractly at least," he said though he didn't seem glad that such a thing was unlikely to work. "But what I mean is...'How did Matty's soul become part umbrood, or at least how an we use that to stop her?'

"It is true, Lady Arden's young son's Avatar merged with it's Umbrood parts somewhere in the Well or during the process of incarnating and for all we know it was the Avatar's intent to be this way so it could teach he lessons needed to the young man...Miss Carlyle however became such an abomination with an infernal pact that is not the same."I think the boy's parents have the records of his examinations, some of them was done by Master Telar herself though working with Master Ir so perhaps we should indeed contact her before we discuss this any further as she might know more about it than we do.""

'We assume so, with good reason. We know that she turned after what happened with her mentor. Perhaps she found her downward path then and made infernal pacts to attain her power. Some kind of infernal union. Then joined the other Nephandi...either for safety or coercion, and went through a caul, which has no time, like an unbirth from the universe. Perhaps she had invested so much of her soul that it had an effect. Or perhaps it was intentional. If you need the candle to contact her I have it.' He turned the note over to the man.

"It is likely a powerful Umbrood of some kind, a Malfean perhaps, it is not likely to be an typical Infernal entity but some sort of underworld denizen. Knowing it's name would be a boon but I will assume it have not been stupid enough to spread that around, sometimes clues can be found in the investment marks this entity have marked it's slaves with, if our prisoner have the same patron some clues might be found though it would be a puzzle that yes it would take time to figure out and indeed hunting down this demon, for a lack of a better term for it, will take time, they are not easy to find or easy to kill."

He nodded back to her, frowning to himself and resisting the urge to pace. There was no room to do it in, but his thoughts paced around anyway trying to figure out how to deal with Matty.

"That is correct Mr Roth Hicks was it? Of House Flambeau?" Crexia said as she read the note.

"Yes, ma'am, forgive my manners and the writing, there is a reason for it."

"Are you suggesting that we try to confuse that thing by changing the vibrations around it, changing what concepts and connections it feel, perhaps sending it of to search for it's host? That...well that could work actually." The old maga said sounding a little surprised at the notion, it was not something she would have thought of.

"Something like that," he said with a nod. He elaborated in the note, 'Though it might be hard for it not to recognize it's own host, yet if it's truly externalized into the spirit realm when it leaves her body it just might work to do that, if we can figure that connection out. It seems to sense other avatars on that level and act from there (for lack of a better term) even though we can perceive and affect it with spiritual ars as well. But what I was thinking was that if we can make a sort of smoke screen via vibrations, a confusing array of inaccurate spiritual connections, making it harder to navigate and confuse its targets. Again the main issue is understanding how much it can perceive and act from that higher level and how it perceives time and space. We do know that spirit ars do affect it since banishing did temporarily remove it from the immediate area I was in and seemed to cause her pain.'

"We could possibly use how that thing most likely see the world against it to confuse it, either to get it to stay with Miss Carlyle when we send her forward in time, well stay with her in our perception or to keep it from attacking us, we just need to figure out how to use it efficiently."

He nodded, writing that down and pausing to look over the entire notes that they had so far. He had a slight frown on his face, brows drawn together and then blew a breath outwards. "Good."
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:33 am

What I still don't understand is that it is able to attack from its higher aspect though it is partly some other type of spirit. It could sense our avatars and I think it could have attacked us if it got a chance. F. also thought that.' He pushed the paper back to him.

"I do not understand this completely either, and without someone with expertise in the matter being given time to examine Miss Carlyle and her soul I am not sure we will find out how this all fit together."
Joakim said and shook his head.
"That the thing have those abilities though, that is quite disturbing"
He said and pushed your notes back to you.

"That part I understand, abstractly at least," he said though he didn't seem glad that such a thing was unlikely to work. "But what I mean is...'How did Matty's soul become part umbrood, or at least how an we use that to stop her?'

"I do not know Mr Roth Hicks, perhaps someone like Master Ir or Master Telar will have an idea but I do not understand how such a thing could have happened."
Joakim said and shook his head.
"How we could use it though it go after those baser parts as the Ephemera they are made up of are likely to be easier to affect than the rest of her soul."

'We assume so, with good reason. We know that she turned after what happened with her mentor. Perhaps she found her downward path then and made infernal pacts to attain her power. Some kind of infernal union. Then joined the other Nephandi...either for safety or coercion, and went through a caul, which has no time, like an unbirth from the universe. Perhaps she had invested so much of her soul that it had an effect. Or perhaps it was intentional.

"Yes if I where to make a guess Sodalis as to the how of it then it would be through infernal pacts yes."
Joakim said and nodded.
"We do not know if it was gradual or if the changes was done all at once, but her infernal Patron gave her what she wanted, or what she think she wanted at the time. She might have joined the Nephandi at once or been like our Mr Black."
Joakim said and frowned in disgust.
"And been a non Nephandic infernalist and then have been seduced over to their side."

If you need the candle to contact her I have it.' He turned the note over to the man.

"I have one, but thank you Mr Roth Hicks. I have Derrick make me one when the one I have burns down."
He said and took a small thing covered in cloth from one of the drawers of his desk.
"I will need to be alone to call though as it will register all of you as listening in as well so it will give false positives...so if you will excuse me for one moment."
He said and pushed the notebook back to you and stood.

"Yes, ma'am, forgive my manners and the writing, there is a reason for it."

"I am Crexia Hermes bani Tytalus, I am pleased to make your acquaintance Sodalis I understand and there is no need to explain at the moment, I have been able to read for a very long time."
The old maga said and offered a smile. She was very small and thin, no taller than Beatrice, her face was sharp featured and beautiful but it looked like it was created out of marble, unearthly in a way, her eyes was green and her hair was some shade between dark blond and brown and set up into an elegant and complicated style from a time long gone. Her gown was green silk, simple but elegant and she had and air of nobility around her.

"Something like that," he said with a nod. He elaborated in the note, 'Though it might be hard for it not to recognize it's own host, yet if it's truly externalized into the spirit realm when it leaves her body it just might work to do that, if we can figure that connection out. It seems to sense other avatars on that level and act from there (for lack of a better term) even though we can perceive and affect it with spiritual ars as well.

Crexia read the note and then showed it to Hans who looked up for a moment and muttered.
"Ehm...I can do that...find that connection and manipulate it. My Tradition's favored Sphere can do more than move things around in space, it deal with the connection between things, so while the spiritual connection between an Avatar and it's host is beyond me, the link of associations between that thing and Matty in the spirit world if it fully leave her, that I can do something about."
The Virtual Adept said before he looked down again, clearly upset about not having been able to save everyone on the strike team.

But what I was thinking was that if we can make a sort of smoke screen via vibrations, a confusing array of inaccurate spiritual connections, making it harder to navigate and confuse its targets. Again the main issue is understanding how much it can perceive and act from that higher level and how it perceives time and space. We do know that spirit ars do affect it since banishing did temporarily remove it from the immediate area I was in and seemed to cause her pain.'

"We can probably craft such a smoke screen Sodalis and if Master Harris can change around that connection of associations it is observing that would make things difficult for a spirit at least, the question as you say is then how much do this thing think and act like and Umbrood..."
"Well a banishment would affect the parts of it that is Umbrood if that is what is going on, threatening to send those away, no wonder that is painful."
She said then she added.
"With Master Arden and Master Ir's son, that was tried, to banish the Umbrood parts from his soul but it got to painful and to distressing for the child so we had to stop the attempt but it affected him and it affected him badly...perhaps a strong enough banishment could...keep it away for long enough to let us take the Labyrinth and deal with Matty later...it is crude and simplistic but it might actually work..."
Crexia muttered and looked like if she was considering it.

He nodded, writing that down and pausing to look over the entire notes that they had so far. He had a slight frown on his face, brows drawn together and then blew a breath outwards. "Good."

Crexia nodded at that then she said.
"Banishments then to keep that thing in line while we work on confusing it and then sending them both forward in time as we perceive it...that is a plan at least and it could work."
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:47 pm

"I have met a few gods, powerful spirits, awe inspiring but like with all Umbroods they are what they are and nothing else...churches and politics though, those I am less positive towards than the gods themselves and I doubt those entities would much like their followers either if they could understand them.
Colin nodded, "The human element... as always."

"Well if you can make it work Mr Wainwright I am all for it Mr Wainwright. It sounds good to me to use what would be dangerous for us to use otherwise to slap Abigail in the face with."
Joakim said and nodded approvingly.
He grinned, "Well, I do have half a mind to make their Nodes and Tass stores quite... blatantly inaccessible to them - and I can't honestly claim I won't enjoy spiting them like that."

"Well you do not attract Resonance that you would have if the filth was flowing through your spiritual part, but Resonance is more than that, what you are around and what you do, even what you do on a mundane level will eventually color you, that is part of being a mage, so if you are around to much destruction your Resonance will become destructive for example, even if it is at a slower rate than if you where working directly with it magickally."
He nodded, "That much I am aware of - I think perhaps on some level, I've always known that, which is why I picked up such a creative craft as I did; spending most of my days peacefully creating beautiful things help... inoculate me a bit against the residue of what I do when I must go to war. Destruction is easy, though, and that... is a path I've got to be wary of, lest it becomes too easy..."

"What I mean Mr Wainwright is that if let us say a mage want to cast a fireball five miles from here, then both the teleportation part of the spell and the blast would be the same rote as such if Master Harris where to use that corrupted Tass for the blast part at a distance he would have to use it for the delicate part of getting the fireball there in the first place as well, and as such your safety mechanism might not work, but we are going to have to ask him about that to work out the details."
"There is that... it would probably still be safer to use it like that than for, say, teleporting a dozen Magi out of a tight spot - which was the inherent danger I was more concerned with at the moment. I doubt Master Harris would be all too keen on flinging unanticipated fireballs around the battlefield while he's trying to coordinate matters and keep tabs on us all."

"Yes that is true Mr Wainwright but would not the same electricity drive all of the machine and all of the programs on it while one is working?"
Joakim asked then he sigh.
"But like I said we are going to have to ask Master Harris if he can compartmentalize things in such a way within his Paradigm."
"That's very true. But, Master Harris would, as I said, know the right risk/reward assessments for his work."

"I'm not going to punch you, if that's what you mean," he said, surprised. "But you haven't quite got it right either. I have so much respect for you as a friend and a cabalmate, that I just might have," he corrected. He listened carefully, still trying to get a hold on Colin's rote and it's potential uses as he described it again.
He smiled thinly, "Thank you. I'll take that for what it's worth."

--- Later ---

"That he is...the boy thinks very much like an Umbrood would, at least in many ways."
Joakim said and nodded.
"His soul is not the same as that of Miss Carlyle it never leave him but perhaps there is enough similarities that what have been learned from his condition could be of use to us."
He muttered.
Colin pondered, "A vital distinction, though - miss Carlyle's Avatar started out as a normal Avatar, while the boy was... born that way. I think that would make for a very important difference in outlooks."

He paused for a moment, "Yes, I'm definitely going to need those Umbral navigation lessons... Still having a spot of trouble with the concept, it seems."

'Knowing her patron could help us find out what she's merged with? Is that the idea?' he asked, showing Colin.
"Find out, and if possible, sever the patronage."

"We are talking about an evil god with the power to affect and mutate a mage's Avatar Mr Wainwright what about that scenario made you think it would even be close to safe?"
Crexia asked and raised an eyebrow.
"However it still might be easier to take down that patron than the soul itself."
He grinned wryly, "Well, I say safe... Everything's relative, and right now, miss Carlyle's Avatar would be that fiend's closest relative, I suppose."

"Well I certainly will not loose any sleep if we manage to take the thing out Mr Wainwright and yes on a cosmic scale that would probably be for the best even if everything, even such dark entities have their place and reason for being."
The old archmaga said then she folded her hands in her lap and added.
"However the reason why I suggest it is that it might be the safest way of undoing the damage and if we are very lucky more Nephandi at the Labyrinth have investments from the same critter and we end up pulling the rug from under their legs at the same time, will it be safe no, but that at least is doable."
He frowned, "If that is the case... you might want to examine miss Jerkins' dagger, as well - the gem in the pommel serves as a key to her children; if that's the same patron as miss Carlyle's... that might diminish those little hellspawn, as well."

The old Hermetic read your note then he said.
"Well it is a spell. One sort of wrap a spirit or a mage for that matter in the very fabric of the Gauntlet, several magi at this Chantry can pull the rote of."
Joakim said but Crexia did not look convinced.
"Yes but holding something that powerful trapped in a Gauntlet prison is not a good plan, it is not likely to hold for long Joakim."
He pondered, "It won't hold for long... but the crucial question is, will it hold long enough?"

"You are still assuming this Avatar is a part of time, that there is a now for it at all, you can not send something up and down the river of time if it is not even in the water Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said patiently.
"To it, now is both this now, five years into the future and five hundred years in the future...imagine if you live in a two dimensional world, that third dimension just do not exist there is no moving you around in three dimensions there exist just two of them for you, the same is likely the case for this rouge Avatar. Also if we stand ready to attack Miss Carlyle as soon as she show up again in our timeline then she is still in danger, and from the same people, there is likely no difference to her soul."
She added as she regarded Colin.
He pondered for a moment and grimaced, "Sorry, I'm fine with nonlinear time, but it seems I'm still having difficulties with actual timelessness... That's a fair concern."

"We tried to defend ourselves from that thing Mr Wainwright it did not work, whatever we will be doing to it have to happen at once or not at all."
Crexia said and shook her head, Hans looked down for a moment.
"Trying to force feed an Avatar and harming it that way are likely to take far longer than a regular Gilgul ritual and that itself do not take very long if the ritualists are skilled and powerful we do not have much time to do something about it."
She said and frowned.
"We used three minutes from we started the ritual until we had to be evacuated, it took about one minute for Miss Carlyle to summon her little friends and for her soul to attack and we held out for one more minute before we realized we where completely outmatched and...we went down..."
She added darkly.
He nodded, "If prepared in advance, as a hanging spell, I think you would be able to feed Quintessence at a far higher rate than I can - but yes, it would probably take a little bit of time to induce such bloat. Minutes, though - I'm not sure it would take that long from the moment the feed begins until the Avatar is overfed. We might wish to make a quick experiment - perhaps to try to turn one form of Tass into another; let you get a feel for how quickly the Quintessence can be made to flow through the proxy?"

"We can probably craft such a smoke screen Sodalis and if Master Harris can change around that connection of associations it is observing that would make things difficult for a spirit at least, the question as you say is then how much do this thing think and act like and Umbrood..."
"Well a banishment would affect the parts of it that is Umbrood if that is what is going on, threatening to send those away, no wonder that is painful."
She said then she added.
"With Master Arden and Master Ir's son, that was tried, to banish the Umbrood parts from his soul but it got to painful and to distressing for the child so we had to stop the attempt but it affected him and it affected him badly...perhaps a strong enough banishment could...keep it away for long enough to let us take the Labyrinth and deal with Matty later...it is crude and simplistic but it might actually work..."
Crexia muttered and looked like if she was considering it.
He nodded, "If we have, say, four people casting banishings in turn, over and over, to hammer the thing's senses - it seems to me that could work as well as detonating a row of firecrackers inside an elevator; whoever is inside would be at the very least disoriented for a while..."

((OOC: Pathfinder game yesterday. Was good; party fought an Abomination - basically a Troll-based Drider. Damn thing had ALL the things from a huge spider AND a troll - web, poison, regeneration, you name it... and a huge temple with multiple stories to navigate in and around. The Monk was highly frustrated because he kept getting outmaneuvered. Very Happy ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Earlier:

Colin nodded, "The human element... as always."

"That is often what it boils down to Mr Wainwright."
Joakim said.

He grinned, "Well, I do have half a mind to make their Nodes and Tass stores quite... blatantly inaccessible to them - and I can't honestly claim I won't enjoy spiting them like that."

"The simple pleasures of life eh? However if what you are talking about is making those Nodes and Tass stores explode try to avoid to much friendly fire eh."
The Flambeau said and raised an eyebrow.

He nodded, "That much I am aware of - I think perhaps on some level, I've always known that, which is why I picked up such a creative craft as I did; spending most of my days peacefully creating beautiful things help... inoculate me a bit against the residue of what I do when I must go to war. Destruction is easy, though, and that... is a path I've got to be wary of, lest it becomes too easy..."

"There might be something in that young man, creation might offset destruction and yes that is a way to balance Resonance."
Joakim said then he nodded.
"No going to war...doing violence should never be easy, even when one have to or the cause is good...it should never be easy."
He muttered softly looking into the distance and into some unpleasant memory as he did so.
"No it should indeed never be easy."

"There is that... it would probably still be safer to use it like that than for, say, teleporting a dozen Magi out of a tight spot - which was the inherent danger I was more concerned with at the moment. I doubt Master Harris would be all too keen on flinging unanticipated fireballs around the battlefield while he's trying to coordinate matters and keep tabs on us all."

"You may be right about that."
The old hedge wizard said with a bit of a grin.
"We are just going to have to ask Master Harris about it then again like I said we do have some regular Tass stores we can use."

"That's very true. But, Master Harris would, as I said, know the right risk/reward assessments for his work."

Joakim nodded at that.

Later:

Colin pondered, "A vital distinction, though - miss Carlyle's Avatar started out as a normal Avatar, while the boy was... born that way. I think that would make for a very important difference in outlooks."

"True, Taliesin's soul have never been an abomination like that he is strange and so are it...unusual but he was born that way and that do change the outlooks indeed, not to mention that the boy's soul is not aggressive in any way but Miss Carlyle's Avatar is."
Joakim said.

He paused for a moment, "Yes, I'm definitely going to need those Umbral navigation lessons... Still having a spot of trouble with the concept, it seems."

"Imagine if you will Mr Wainwright if all of space was a huge filing cabinet, and that instead of knowing directions you had to know what each file was sorted under to find what you was looking for, it is knowing those keywords you sort by and those happen to be associations."
Hans said and glanced over at Colin.
"Like typing in search words at google."

"Sever it, or kill the patron...neither of which will be easy but it might just work."
Crexia said and nodded.

He grinned wryly, "Well, I say safe... Everything's relative, and right now, miss Carlyle's Avatar would be that fiend's closest relative, I suppose."

"Something like that, more like it is it's creation in some foul way."
The archmaga said.
"But yes everything is relative and there is a chance we can do it, if we find the patron, the question is if we will have the time to do it, as you Cabalmate pointed out Mr Wainwright demon hunting takes time."

He frowned, "If that is the case... you might want to examine miss Jerkins' dagger, as well - the gem in the pommel serves as a key to her children; if that's the same patron as miss Carlyle's... that might diminish those little hellspawn, as well."

"If it is the same patron going after it might solve two problems with one stone so yes examining the dagger will be wise, I will take care of it once we are done here."
Crexia agreed.
"Just be aware, what I propose is ot easy, we are talking about an ancient, unhuman abomination that needs killing, this will not be like snapping the rat of a mouse before making a snack...ah ehm...sorry I keep forgetting mice are not delicacies anymore."
She said a bit apologetically.
"But you get my drift I assume."
She added. Joakim gave a bit of a smile though he looked concerned.
"No it will be a dangerous undertaking, even if we find the patron's identity..."
He said before adding.
"As for rodents I used to love filled mice, it is a shame no one eats them anymore."
Hans gave the two ancient mages a bit of a look.
"And here I thought Joe's gummy worms was a questionable dietary choice."
He muttered.

He pondered, "It won't hold for long... but the crucial question is, will it hold long enough?"

"From my experience in trying to fight that thing together with five others...no it will not hold long enough, not unless the prison is constructed during a major ritual where power is built over time, and that gentlemen is time we do not have."
Crexia said and frowned and Hans looked down a bit sadly.

He pondered for a moment and grimaced, "Sorry, I'm fine with nonlinear time, but it seems I'm still having difficulties with actual timelessness... That's a fair concern."

"It takes a bit of time getting used to Mr Wainwright."
Crexia assured you.
"Our lives are so bound by the illusions of space and time, it is hard to give those illusions up and really come to grips with all space and time being one and happening at once."
She said then she smiled.
"There is even some research being done on the concept of reincarnation sometimes happening backwards in time...but yes the point of the matter is, sending that thing anywhere in time might not do anything to it."

He nodded, "If prepared in advance, as a hanging spell, I think you would be able to feed Quintessence at a far higher rate than I can - but yes, it would probably take a little bit of time to induce such bloat. Minutes, though - I'm not sure it would take that long from the moment the feed begins until the Avatar is overfed. We might wish to make a quick experiment - perhaps to try to turn one form of Tass into another; let you get a feel for how quickly the Quintessence can be made to flow through the proxy?"

"It is possible...for that matter...as distasteful as it might be...we could try to make the Gilgul rote into a hanging spell, there is nothing that say it can't be one, it is more most mages are somewhat uneasy about making that into something that could be used in the heat of combat."
She said and yes, Hans looked very uneasy at the thought of that.
"Ehm...yes it is...possible but so powerful spells left hanging...that can glitch very easily and you do not want that...ritual to glitch Crexia."
He said and looked a bit paler.
"You do have a point...will you check if you can force feed that thing quickly enough then?"
She asked and he nodded.
"I can try but I will need something to draw from first and remember if we mess this up and we just feed that soul we will just be making it stronger we have to be able to feed it to the point of harming it if it is going to do any good...and I can not believe I am sitting here discussing the use of overfeeding with Quintessence as a potential way to kill and Avatar..."
He said sounding somewhat nauseous.
"That is one thing, the other problem is that such patter leaking that will happen if you just flood a mage's Avatar is more likely to kill the host than the Avatar itself, and we do not want that in this instance."
Joakim warned.
"Who knows what that thing will do if Matty dies."

He nodded, "If we have, say, four people casting banishings in turn, over and over, to hammer the thing's senses - it seems to me that could work as well as detonating a row of firecrackers inside an elevator; whoever is inside would be at the very least disoriented for a while..."

"Hum...yes that can work, and banishing spells can be made as hanging rotes, adding to how quickly they can be created."
Crexia said and nodding in agreement.
"That might just keep it busy."

(OOC: Sounds like a fun game.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:16 pm

"The simple pleasures of life eh? However if what you are talking about is making those Nodes and Tass stores explode try to avoid to much friendly fire eh."
The Flambeau said and raised an eyebrow.
Colin smirked, "Less explosions, more... automatic primal bolt fire. There's nothing wrong with a few detonations, but..." He pointed at where the Nodes and Tass stores would likely be on the map, "where an explosion would last only for an instant, I do think I could put down some impressively hazardous cover fire down these paths, if I've got the layout of the place right... We would want to avoid running down amid the storm of fireballs, obviously, but it would likely serve well to... dissuade the defenses from charging up the corridor. In fact, it might be the best immediately available werebear repellent. Or failing that, demonspawn bait; miss Jerkins' children eat magic, after all..."

"There might be something in that young man, creation might offset destruction and yes that is a way to balance Resonance."
Joakim said then he nodded.
"No going to war...doing violence should never be easy, even when one have to or the cause is good...it should never be easy."
He muttered softly looking into the distance and into some unpleasant memory as he did so.
"No it should indeed never be easy."
He nodded, "And it's even worse when you think you're in the right, and someone's given you incorrect intel..."
He grimaced, pushing that memory back, "In this case, though, we already know there are no innocents on the loose in the Labyrinth... We might want to check the cells, but there shouldn't be any decent individuals left walking around..."

--- Later ---
"Imagine if you will Mr Wainwright if all of space was a huge filing cabinet, and that instead of knowing directions you had to know what each file was sorted under to find what you was looking for, it is knowing those keywords you sort by and those happen to be associations."
Hans said and glanced over at Colin.
"Like typing in search words at google."
Colin sighed, "I'm an old pilot; I suppose I have a bit much baggage left from that... Though, I suppose relying on visual landmarks and satellite navigation isn't all that different..."

"If it is the same patron going after it might solve two problems with one stone so yes examining the dagger will be wise, I will take care of it once we are done here."
Crexia agreed.
"Just be aware, what I propose is ot easy, we are talking about an ancient, unhuman abomination that needs killing, this will not be like snapping the rat of a mouse before making a snack...ah ehm...sorry I keep forgetting mice are not delicacies anymore."
She said a bit apologetically.
"But you get my drift I assume."
She added. Joakim gave a bit of a smile though he looked concerned.
"No it will be a dangerous undertaking, even if we find the patron's identity..."
He said before adding.
"As for rodents I used to love filled mice, it is a shame no one eats them anymore."
Hans gave the two ancient mages a bit of a look.
"And here I thought Joe's gummy worms was a questionable dietary choice."
He muttered.
Colin nodded, "More like trying to snap the neck of a 600-pound tiger barehanded to avoid harming the skin, I suppose... theoretically doable, but the odds aren't in your favour."
He frowned, "Gummy worms are a questionable dietary choice. I do wonder, though, if I might have a recipe for rodentia in the book I inherited from my great-gran. She in turn inherited it from... well, it's been transcribed a few times, but I think it goes back at least to Elizabethan times. Also, there was this documentary I saw on allegedly disgusting foods; field mice are a staple meat in... some poor African country, I forget which..."

"From my experience in trying to fight that thing together with five others...no it will not hold long enough, not unless the prison is constructed during a major ritual where power is built over time, and that gentlemen is time we do not have."
Crexia said and frowned and Hans looked down a bit sadly.
He nodded, "So that goes on the back burner..."

"It takes a bit of time getting used to Mr Wainwright."
Crexia assured you.
"Our lives are so bound by the illusions of space and time, it is hard to give those illusions up and really come to grips with all space and time being one and happening at once."
She said then she smiled.
"There is even some research being done on the concept of reincarnation sometimes happening backwards in time...but yes the point of the matter is, sending that thing anywhere in time might not do anything to it."
He sighed, "Well, Future Me has apparently worked that out; I'm making early Adept because I get pulled into weird temporal superpositions to get early access to information I will have needed for the upcoming crises... It should have been giving me a bigger headache than the grammatical problems, but there we are..."

"It is possible...for that matter...as distasteful as it might be...we could try to make the Gilgul rote into a hanging spell, there is nothing that say it can't be one, it is more most mages are somewhat uneasy about making that into something that could be used in the heat of combat."
She said and yes, Hans looked very uneasy at the thought of that.
"Ehm...yes it is...possible but so powerful spells left hanging...that can glitch very easily and you do not want that...ritual to glitch Crexia."
He said and looked a bit paler.
He soured a little, "I know exactly what can happen if you try to use that in combat... I wouldn't recommend it; you never know when you come up against a ridiculously lucky and resilient bastard who'll turn the tables on you..."

"You do have a point...will you check if you can force feed that thing quickly enough then?"
She asked and he nodded.
"I can try but I will need something to draw from first and remember if we mess this up and we just feed that soul we will just be making it stronger we have to be able to feed it to the point of harming it if it is going to do any good...and I can not believe I am sitting here discussing the use of overfeeding with Quintessence as a potential way to kill and Avatar..."
He pondered, "How much Tass would we need, anyway? Conservative to liberal guesstimate, I mean? Ten drams of highly Static Tass? Twenty? A hundred? And... believe me, Hans, forcibly gorging an Avatar like you would feed a goose is still a far better option than the last resort..."

"That is one thing, the other problem is that such patter leaking that will happen if you just flood a mage's Avatar is more likely to kill the host than the Avatar itself, and we do not want that in this instance."
Joakim warned.
"Who knows what that thing will do if Matty dies."
He frowned, "No, we don't want that... That would force us to plan V... and that might become suddenly impossible if it decides to stand vigil over her body... hum... how difficult would it be to bring Matty back to life in the unfortunate case of her untimely death, should such pattern leaking kill her first? Also, her Avatar might decide to move on, should she die; the - pardon the expression - Frankensteining that was done to it was explicitly to prevent her from gilgul; I suppose death would fulfill that contract..."

((OOC: It is a fun campaign; next major clash, though, I'll try to have more 3D battlefields prepared; multi-story battlegrids, strange battlefield conditions, that sort of thing...))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:02 am

Earlier:

Colin smirked, "Less explosions, more... automatic primal bolt fire. There's nothing wrong with a few detonations, but..." He pointed at where the Nodes and Tass stores would likely be on the map, "where an explosion would last only for an instant, I do think I could put down some impressively hazardous cover fire down these paths, if I've got the layout of the place right... We would want to avoid running down amid the storm of fireballs, obviously, but it would likely serve well to... dissuade the defenses from charging up the corridor. In fact, it might be the best immediately available werebear repellent. Or failing that, demonspawn bait; miss Jerkins' children eat magic, after all..."

Joakim leaned over to look at the map then he nodded.
"I see...well yes that would be practical if we need a distraction or to have these corridors blocked off from defenders, indeed that might be very useful Mr Wainwright."
He said and nodded in agreement.

He nodded, "And it's even worse when you think you're in the right, and someone's given you incorrect intel..."

Joakim looked at you for a moment then he sigh and nodded.
"Yes especially then."
He muttered softly.

He grimaced, pushing that memory back, "In this case, though, we already know there are no innocents on the loose in the Labyrinth... We might want to check the cells, but there shouldn't be any decent individuals left walking around..."

"We know they have at least one prisoner, the offspring of that brat Nicolai, but yes we should check the cells to see if there is others, however the Nephandi themselves, they and their servants all made their choices."
The old hedge wizard said darkly.
"There are no innocents among them."

Later:

Colin sighed, "I'm an old pilot; I suppose I have a bit much baggage left from that... Though, I suppose relying on visual landmarks and satellite navigation isn't all that different..."

"No it is not that different I think, only that in the Umbra, what you see really do chance with your perception and reality are less and less solid the deeper in you go."
Hans said and nodded.

Colin nodded, "More like trying to snap the neck of a 600-pound tiger barehanded to avoid harming the skin, I suppose... theoretically doable, but the odds aren't in your favour."

"That would be just about it yes Mr Wainwright...we can do this and we might have a better chance than against that loose Avatar due to just what an Avatar is, however it will in no way be a simple undertaking."
Crexia said and nodded.

He frowned, "Gummy worms are a questionable dietary choice. I do wonder, though, if I might have a recipe for rodentia in the book I inherited from my great-gran. She in turn inherited it from... well, it's been transcribed a few times, but I think it goes back at least to Elizabethan times. Also, there was this documentary I saw on allegedly disgusting foods; field mice are a staple meat in... some poor African country, I forget which..."

"Ah that is lovely, yes mice was still popular when Elisabeth reigned."
Crexia said and Joakim nodded
"I would love a peek at that recepie Mr Wainwright."
The archmaga continued and offered a smile. Hans looked less than convinced.
"Well I guess that if you are hungry enough you will eat anything."
He muttered and Crexia shook her head and patted the Virtual Adept on the arm.
"Hans my dear, I do not get hungry, I just like the taste of well prepared, stuffed mice."

He nodded, "So that goes on the back burner..."

"Yes I am afraid so Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said and nodded.

He sighed, "Well, Future Me has apparently worked that out; I'm making early Adept because I get pulled into weird temporal superpositions to get early access to information I will have needed for the upcoming crises... It should have been giving me a bigger headache than the grammatical problems, but there we are..."

"Congratulations Mr Wainwright...hum that do sound quite practical and yes I agree the grammar can be a problem, English can be such an limiting language."
Crexia said as if the grammar part was the only issue with something like that. Hans nodded as well.
"Congratulations on your early promotion Mr Wainwright."
He said kindly.

He soured a little, "I know exactly what can happen if you try to use that in combat... I wouldn't recommend it; you never know when you come up against a ridiculously lucky and resilient bastard who'll turn the tables on you..."

"Yes you might end up in trouble..."
Crexia said with a bit of a smile and looked at you.
"Making it a hanging spell would make it more powerful but as Master Harris says while it is doable making such a complex and powerful magick hanging is never wise, it can easily go wrong and as you said, that never lead to good things for the caster."

He pondered, "How much Tass would we need, anyway? Conservative to liberal guesstimate, I mean? Ten drams of highly Static Tass? Twenty? A hundred? And... believe me, Hans, forcibly gorging an Avatar like you would feed a goose is still a far better option than the last resort..."

"Yes well I would still be a Soulrender, it might be a different approach but it is still a Gilgul."
Hans muttered softly.
"As for how much we would need to do actual damage...fifty drams, perhaps more depending on how powerful that thing is, but remember there is a limit to how much Tass my own Core is able to handle at the time, and we are more likely to kill the host than the Avatar doing this I think."

He frowned, "No, we don't want that... That would force us to plan V... and that might become suddenly impossible if it decides to stand vigil over her body... hum...

"No...we would not want that..."
Crexia muttered darkly.

how difficult would it be to bring Matty back to life in the unfortunate case of her untimely death, should such pattern leaking kill her first?

"Waking someone from the dead is possible Mr Wainwright but far from easy, and getting them back, mind, soul, Avatar and all is even harder."
"Such things are usually done with whole choirs of Choristers of a Verbena Coven of Masters and is not reliable as something done in combat."
She added and Joakim nodded.
"It was considered quite a feat when that old Verbena archmage I spoke about managed to resurrect me back to life, granted resurrecting a...vampire is far harder than doing the same to a fresh corpse."
He added and looked a bit uneasy.

Also, her Avatar might decide to move on, should she die; the - pardon the expression - Frankensteining that was done to it was explicitly to prevent her from gilgul; I suppose death would fulfill that contract..."

"It is possible Mr Wainwright that her soul would move on should she die, however it might also fully set it free to wreck havoc, that is why we do not simply shoot her so we can deal with her widderslainte later."

(OOC: Hum...I might do well preparing some grids and at least some simple figures when I GM since I have a real problem visualizing where everyone are in relation to one another.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by s7trif3 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:37 am

"Sever it, or kill the patron...neither of which will be easy but it might just work." Crexia said and nodded.

"I see..." He looked thoughtful though, not dismissive, as he wrote down something else.

"Just be aware, what I propose is ot easy, we are talking about an ancient, unhuman abomination that needs killing, this will not be like snapping the rat of a mouse before making a snack...ah ehm...sorry I keep forgetting mice are not delicacies anymore." She said a bit apologetically...As for rodents I used to love filled mice, it is a shame no one eats them anymore."
Hans gave the two ancient mages a bit of a look. "And here I thought Joe's gummy worms was a questionable dietary choice.

He too raised an eyebrow as they talked about mice as food and then said, "Might I recommend Twinkies...anyway...let's...keep to topic, please, not to be rude."

"I do not know Mr Roth Hicks, perhaps someone like Master Ir or Master Telar will have an idea but I do not understand how such a thing could have happened." Joakim said and shook his head. "How we could use it though it go after those baser parts as the Ephemera they are made up of are likely to be easier to affect than the rest of her soul.

"Yes..." he agreed, raising a hand to scratch at his beard in irritation. Well, perhaps they would not know precisely how it happened but they had something to work with at least. While Nephandi were not precisely the type of enemy you wanted to understand -too- closely, knowing how much of the soul was susceptible would help them figure out how to tackle it. And he wasn't sure if he was missing something...

"I have one, but thank you Mr Roth Hicks. I have Derrick make me one when the one I have burns down."
He said and took a small thing covered in cloth from one of the drawers of his desk.
"I will need to be alone to call though as it will register all of you as listening in as well so it will give false positives...so if you will excuse me for one moment."

"Of course, sir."

"I am Crexia Hermes bani Tytalus, I am pleased to make your acquaintance Sodalis I understand and there is no need to explain at the moment, I have been able to read for a very long time."

"I wish it were better circumstances under which we've met," he replied, then chuckled a bit at her joke about being able to read for some while. "Yes, quite."

"Ehm...I can do that...find that connection and manipulate it. My Tradition's favored Sphere can do more than move things around in space, it deal with the connection between things, so while the spiritual connection between an Avatar and it's host is beyond me, the link of associations between that thing and Matty in the spirit world if it fully leave her, that I can do something about."

He looked thoughtfully at the Adept and nodded. "Could be useful..."

"With Master Arden and Master Ir's son, that was tried, to banish the Umbrood parts from his soul but it got to painful and to distressing for the child so we had to stop the attempt but it affected him and it affected him badly...perhaps a strong enough banishment could...keep it away for long enough to let us take the Labyrinth and deal with Matty later...it is crude and simplistic but it might actually work..."Banishments then to keep that thing in line while we work on confusing it and then sending them both forward in time as we perceive it...that is a plan at least and it could work."

He nodded to her. "Yes," then he looked up at Colin since he'd suggested that earlier. Then he wrote to them, 'If I am to be in the vicinity of the banishings when they're used then I need to have a word with the casters regarding a potential issue. Also, instead of having multiple banishings which take time to cast and then hang each one, would it be possible to have the one rote's effect instead be placed in more than one location? Could it have a similar fragmentation effect that way or would the fact that it is spiritual confound that idea?'

Adley glanced at her in some surprise.

He pondered, "How much Tass would we need, anyway? Conservative to liberal guesstimate, I mean? Ten drams of highly Static Tass? Twenty? A hundred? And... believe me, Hans, forcibly gorging an Avatar like you would feed a goose is still a far better option than the last resort...
"As for how much we would need to do actual damage...fifty drams, perhaps more depending on how powerful that thing is, but remember there is a limit to how much Tass my own Core is able to handle at the time, and we are more likely to kill the host than the Avatar doing this I think."

He gave a bit of a whistle. Fifty drams...he shook his head, trying to keep track of Colin's conversation with the others, then glanced over his notes. It still looked to him like the same general plans had emerged as before, plus one more way to buy them some time and maybe also something Colin was working out regarding the tass-stuffing idea and finding something out about or destroying Matty's patron. Perhaps too the Chief might come back with something that could give them a new perspective on dealing with her.

// troll drider, awesome. Sounds like a challenge : D One of my friends just started using isometric gaming paper to do 3/4 view, multilevel dungeon maps and he found that the group liked it and it was easier for them to envision
s7trif3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 am

He too raised an eyebrow as they talked about mice as food and then said, "Might I recommend Twinkies...anyway...let's...keep to topic, please, not to be rude."

"Off course young man, off course."
Crexia said and gave you a slight nod.
"And twinkies as in the cake?"
She asked a bit confused.

"Of course, sir."

Joakim nodded he walked towards the door.
"I will only be a moment gentlemen and Lady Crexia..."
He said before he quickly left the office to find somewhere to make that call.

"I wish it were better circumstances under which we've met," he replied, then chuckled a bit at her joke about being able to read for some while. "Yes, quite."

"I wish so as well Mr Roth Hicks, I wish so as well."
She said but then she gave you a bit of a smile as you chuckled.

He looked thoughtfully at the Adept and nodded. "Could be useful..."

Hans nodded at that.

He nodded to her. "Yes," then he looked up at Colin since he'd suggested that earlier. Then he wrote to them, 'If I am to be in the vicinity of the banishings when they're used then I need to have a word with the casters regarding a potential issue. Also, instead of having multiple banishings which take time to cast and then hang each one, would it be possible to have the one rote's effect instead be placed in more than one location? Could it have a similar fragmentation effect that way or would the fact that it is spiritual confound that idea?'

"Off course Sodalis we can arrange for that."
Crexia said about you having a word with the casters. Then Hans read the note and nodded.
"Sure, no problem I can arrange for such a rote that you describe, so can several others."

Adley glanced at her in some surprise.

"There are mages that seam to have throwbacks to other lives, but those lives turn out to be in the future, it gets a bit complicated Sodalis but is possible."
Crexia said and nodded when she saw your surprised look.

He gave a bit of a whistle. Fifty drams...he shook his head

Hans looked at you and gave you a bit of a look at your whistle, indeed it would not be a cheap undertaking this idea of Colin's.

Perhaps too the Chief might come back with something that could give them a new perspective on dealing with her.

After a few minutes Chief Joakim came back into the room with Cita in tow. The little Spirit Master gave a nod to those there and Hans stood to bow to her.
"Master Harris, Master Crexia Mr Wainwright...Mr Roth Hicks..."
Cita said politely as the two other Masters returned her greeting.
"I hear you have a problem you need my help with and I found it easier and quicker to co locate here then to do this all over the phone."
She said as Hans offered her his seat but she shook her head and smiled to politely refuse and closed the door behind her.

(OOC: Yes I am considering doing something similar, particularly in combat it at times get confusing to know where everyone is compared to one another.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:09 pm

"We know they have at least one prisoner, the offspring of that brat Nicolai, but yes we should check the cells to see if there is others, however the Nephandi themselves, they and their servants all made their choices."
The old hedge wizard said darkly.
"There are no innocents among them."
Colin nodded, then pondered, "Perhaps we should consider in advance what to do with that vampire? It might be considered a clear message to Nicolai if we simply boxed the fellow up and sent him home with a message about how we found him at Abigail's, and that we leave the unstaking to him? A... more polite way of kindly telling him to fuck off and stay out of Mages' business, and the Nephandi in particular?"

--- Later ---

"That would be just about it yes Mr Wainwright...we can do this and we might have a better chance than against that loose Avatar due to just what an Avatar is, however it will in no way be a simple undertaking."
Colin sighed, "It's too much to hope for that the thing can be reasoned with to retract its favour from the young lady, isn't it?"

"Ah that is lovely, yes mice was still popular when Elisabeth reigned."
Crexia said and Joakim nodded
"I would love a peek at that recepie Mr Wainwright."
The archmaga continued and offered a smile. Hans looked less than convinced.
"Well I guess that if you are hungry enough you will eat anything."
He muttered and Crexia shook her head and patted the Virtual Adept on the arm.
"Hans my dear, I do not get hungry, I just like the taste of well prepared, stuffed mice."
He grinned, "I'll see if I can't copy out the recipe for you. It might be the third oddest thing I've sent in the mail..."

He arched an eyebrow, "I thought they stopped making those? There was a big fuss about it in the news a couple of years ago... But yes, derailing."

"Congratulations Mr Wainwright...hum that do sound quite practical and yes I agree the grammar can be a problem, English can be such an limiting language."
Crexia said as if the grammar part was the only issue with something like that. Hans nodded as well.
"Congratulations on your early promotion Mr Wainwright."
He said kindly.
He nodded, "Thank you, but this is one of those cases where a boon has a... price attached to it."

"Yes you might end up in trouble..."
Crexia said with a bit of a smile and looked at you.
"Making it a hanging spell would make it more powerful but as Master Harris says while it is doable making such a complex and powerful magick hanging is never wise, it can easily go wrong and as you said, that never lead to good things for the caster."
He nodded, "Indeed; it knocked me out for a couple of days, as you know more accurately than me, but I'm the one who survived with... unanticipated side effects. Which reminds me, the Fallen in charge of the Labyrinth's defenses is likely going to be extremely upset with me for that..."

"Yes well I would still be a Soulrender, it might be a different approach but it is still a Gilgul."
Hans muttered softly.
He whistled softly, "Ffity drams, preferably highly Static as such... that one could get tricky. We know where we can find substantial quantities of the corrupted stuff, but Static... well, if we're lucky, one of the Nodes in the Labyrinth has a Static bent to it; we might be able to employ that directly..."

"Waking someone from the dead is possible Mr Wainwright but far from easy, and getting them back, mind, soul, Avatar and all is even harder."
"Such things are usually done with whole choirs of Choristers of a Verbena Coven of Masters and is not reliable as something done in combat."
She added and Joakim nodded.
"It was considered quite a feat when that old Verbena archmage I spoke about managed to resurrect me back to life, granted resurrecting a...vampire is far harder than doing the same to a fresh corpse."
He added and looked a bit uneasy.
He nodded, "A bit more demanding than CPR and a defibrillator, then... I suspected as much, but had to ask... In miss Carlyle's case, though, it wouldn't be a matter of bringing back a vampire, I would hope, just... the approximate equivalent of trying to revive someone who just collapsed on the sidewalk."

"It is possible Mr Wainwright that her soul would move on should she die, however it might also fully set it free to wreck havoc, that is why we do not simply shoot her so we can deal with her widderslainte later."
He nodded, "And dealing with her widderslainte, in any case, would be as dangerous as dealing with herself - if not more. I'd hate to hear of an incident where six Mages pulled up next to a small suburban home and wound up mangled by unknown means while a confused toddler was watching... which is precisely what we might risk if she were to die and her Avatar to pass on..."

Colin nodded and paused for a moment, "Adley... if I can teach you how to tap an external quintessence source to fuel something, do you think you could use that to make a rapidly repeating Banishing that would circumvent the specific issue? Essentially, a Banishing spell that slaps the thing on its proverbial nose every few seconds, so long as there is quintessence to power it?"

"There are mages that seam to have throwbacks to other lives, but those lives turn out to be in the future, it gets a bit complicated Sodalis but is possible."
Crexia said and nodded when she saw your surprised look.
He nodded, "I'd heard this - and frankly, that part makes more sense to me than every moment being the same... I guess Doctor Who can only prepare me for so much..."

After a few minutes Chief Joakim came back into the room with Cita in tow. The little Spirit Master gave a nod to those there and Hans stood to bow to her.
"Master Harris, Master Crexia Mr Wainwright...Mr Roth Hicks..."
Cita said politely as the two other Masters returned her greeting.
"I hear you have a problem you need my help with and I found it easier and quicker to co locate here then to do this all over the phone."
She said as Hans offered her his seat but she shook her head and smiled to politely refuse and closed the door behind her.
He bowed briefly to Cita, "Good to see you again... We've got a spot of bother with a bit of an abomination... an Avatar that's been turned into a very effective attack dog... we... are trying to find a less morally abhorrent means to neutralize it..."

((OOC: For Mage, I think some nice maps without grids might be better - Mage is a lot less... specific about how far and fast people can sprint in combat, after all, than D&D and the likes. Besides, you get one Correspondence Adept and one Spirit Adept in on the battlefield making their preferred adjustments, and everything resembling ordered spacing goes out the window of a different apartment. Wink ))

((OOC2: Isometric... might be a bit tricky to pull off, though i like the sound of it. I think a few thicker boards with  the battle grids, and maybe some supports to indicate relative height might work a little easier.))

((OOC3: Been having a bit of a cold today - clogged schnoz, sore throat, fatigue and sleepyness, that sort of crud. I guess I was overdue for it... Sleep ))
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Earlier:

Colin nodded, then pondered, "Perhaps we should consider in advance what to do with that vampire? It might be considered a clear message to Nicolai if we simply boxed the fellow up and sent him home with a message about how we found him at Abigail's, and that we leave the unstaking to him? A... more polite way of kindly telling him to fuck off and stay out of Mages' business, and the Nephandi in particular?"

"Hum yes we should decide what to do with the creature ahead of time, and I do like your suggestion Mr Wainwright, it will let us send a message to Nicolai while at the same time not having to deal with a potentially panic stricken Massassa in the middle of a battle...I have no objections to putting the man in a crate and sending him home."
Joakim said and nodded.

Later:

Colin sighed, "It's too much to hope for that the thing can be reasoned with to retract its favour from the young lady, isn't it?"

"Reasoning with it would be unlikely to be effective Mr Wainwright and attempting it would be quite illegal for any Hermetics involved in the undertaking, the Code take a dim view of dealing with demons."
Crexia said and raised and eyebrow.

He grinned, "I'll see if I can't copy out the recipe for you. It might be the third oddest thing I've sent in the mail..."

"I would very much appreciate it Mr Wainwright, if it is no bother that is."
Crexia said and smiled.
"Well I think I have sent a few stranger things over the years, but it is all a matter of perspective now is it not."
She added sounding amused.

He nodded, "Thank you, but this is one of those cases where a boon has a... price attached to it."

"Boons usually do Mr Wainwright."
The old archmaga said and regarded you for a moment.

He nodded, "Indeed; it knocked me out for a couple of days, as you know more accurately than me, but I'm the one who survived with... unanticipated side effects. Which reminds me, the Fallen in charge of the Labyrinth's defenses is likely going to be extremely upset with me for that..."

"Yes you where extremely lucky Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said as she glanced in your direction.
"I see, the woman who attacked you had a friend in the Labyrinth then, not making any friends among the Fallen are we my good man...we will have to try to avoid her enacting her revenge on you then."

He whistled softly, "Ffity drams, preferably highly Static as such... that one could get tricky. We know where we can find substantial quantities of the corrupted stuff, but Static... well, if we're lucky, one of the Nodes in the Labyrinth has a Static bent to it; we might be able to employ that directly..."

"The Static nature of the Tass was for my idea to try to slow that thing down, overfeeding a soul though it would not matter how the Tass is Resonated but yes such an endeavor would be quite costly."
Crexia said and nodded.
"Where was you thinking we would find those amounts of corrupted Quintessence?"
She asked.

He nodded, "A bit more demanding than CPR and a defibrillator, then... I suspected as much, but had to ask... In miss Carlyle's case, though, it wouldn't be a matter of bringing back a vampire, I would hope, just... the approximate equivalent of trying to revive someone who just collapsed on the sidewalk."

"How easy it is to revive someone who have collapsed on the sidewalk deeply depends on why they have collapsed Mr Wainwright, if that person's very life patters have been burnt out of existence and they are quite dead as no life can exist in their being that is a bit harder than rushing someone to the hospital for a fainting spell."
Hans said and looked at Colin.
"Hans is right, if someone is actually dead then reviving them are quite difficult and if their bodies are significantly damaged it gets even harder."
Crexia added.

He nodded, "And dealing with her widderslainte, in any case, would be as dangerous as dealing with herself - if not more. I'd hate to hear of an incident where six Mages pulled up next to a small suburban home and wound up mangled by unknown means while a confused toddler was watching... which is precisely what we might risk if she were to die and her Avatar to pass on..."

"Correct, even if Miss Carlyle's Avatar was to move on after it's host death then we will be in the same situation some years down the line which could end up being quite hazardous for whoever was sent to deal with it, the greater danger right now though is that it might not move on, instead it might decide to enact it's revenge, we do not know how it's ehm...mutations have affected how it reincarnate, we can not risk simply killing the girl."
The archmaga said and shook her head.

He nodded, "I'd heard this - and frankly, that part makes more sense to me than every moment being the same... I guess Doctor Who can only prepare me for so much..."

"It is precisely because every moment is the same that you can have past reincarnations, there are no future and no past, there is only now. I however do not blame you for being confused my good man, there is a reason why we perceive time, our minds need it and besides perception becomes reality."
Crexia said and gave you a soft smile.
"My lover Swan likes that TV show."

He bowed briefly to Cita, "Good to see you again... We've got a spot of bother with a bit of an abomination... an Avatar that's been turned into a very effective attack dog... we... are trying to find a less morally abhorrent means to neutralize it..."

Cita returned you bow then said.
"So I have heard, what can you tell me about the situation so far Mr Wainwright, perhaps I can find some way to deal with this thing...though from what I hear it can act freely without the host?"
The spirit healer asked and raised an eyebrow.
"That is quite rare..."

(OOC: I only need something to give a basic idea of who is standing near who in a confusing combat situation so I really do not need anything complicated.)
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Warpmind on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:05 pm

"Hum yes we should decide what to do with the creature ahead of time, and I do like your suggestion Mr Wainwright, it will let us send a message to Nicolai while at the same time not having to deal with a potentially panic stricken Massassa in the middle of a battle...I have no objections to putting the man in a crate and sending him home."
Joakim said and nodded.
Colin nodded, "And it would be a message we could send that would not immediately be considered an attack on him, I think - it would hardly be justification to come after us once the poor thing was unstaked and could vouch for who had him staked in the first place..."

--- Later ---

"Reasoning with it would be unlikely to be effective Mr Wainwright and attempting it would be quite illegal for any Hermetics involved in the undertaking, the Code take a dim view of dealing with demons."
Crexia said and raised and eyebrow.
Colin shrugged, "It was the chance of success that I was concerned with. The Code of Hermes could be... circumvented, as evidenced by Morningstar's own Mr. Black, but I honestly didn't think it was likely to be a viable option. Had to ask, though, just to get it cleared up."

"I would very much appreciate it Mr Wainwright, if it is no bother that is."
Crexia said and smiled.
"Well I think I have sent a few stranger things over the years, but it is all a matter of perspective now is it not."
She added sounding amused.
He grinned, "Copying a recipe once the dust settles is no bother at all. I quite frequently exchange recipes, in fact - though more rarely those old ones. And honestly, once you've made and sent a pair of earrings in the shape of a Lovecraftian deity, strange does become... subjective, yes."

"Boons usually do Mr Wainwright."
The old archmaga said and regarded you for a moment.
He smiled thinly, "Yes, but perhaps less often self-imposed ones..."

"Yes you where extremely lucky Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said as she glanced in your direction.
"I see, the woman who attacked you had a friend in the Labyrinth then, not making any friends among the Fallen are we my good man...we will have to try to avoid her enacting her revenge on you then."
He sighed, "Indeed, extremely lucky... I'm still uncertain to whether it was good or bad luck; seems a bit of both extremes, really... As for miss Warden - the Fallen who, well... I think 'friend' would be an understatement. I believe your relationship with miss Swan would be a closer simile."

"The Static nature of the Tass was for my idea to try to slow that thing down, overfeeding a soul though it would not matter how the Tass is Resonated but yes such an endeavor would be quite costly."
Crexia said and nodded.
"Where was you thinking we would find those amounts of corrupted Quintessence?"
She asked.
He grinned and gestured to the Labyrinth maps, where the Nodes were presumably located, "That Rote of mine, actually - we'll probably bring along a bit of juice, as it were, but the Labyrinth Nodes is where the most power is at. With my proxy, we can draw power out of those Nodes faster and safer than the Fallen can, and use their own power sources against them. If they have any Tass stores left, even better... And deploying their corrupted reserves in battle should save us the trouble of cleaning it up later."

"How easy it is to revive someone who have collapsed on the sidewalk deeply depends on why they have collapsed Mr Wainwright, if that person's very life patters have been burnt out of existence and they are quite dead as no life can exist in their being that is a bit harder than rushing someone to the hospital for a fainting spell."
Hans said and looked at Colin.
"Hans is right, if someone is actually dead then reviving them are quite difficult and if their bodies are significantly damaged it gets even harder."
Crexia added.
He nodded, "Pretty much as expected, then - so as before, let's try to avoid that consequence..."

Cita returned you bow then said.
"So I have heard, what can you tell me about the situation so far Mr Wainwright, perhaps I can find some way to deal with this thing...though from what I hear it can act freely without the host?"
The spirit healer asked and raised an eyebrow.
"That is quite rare..."
He sighed, "Mattea Carlyle was the apprentice of one of the Hermetics involved with the island... You know the deplorable case. She was apparently made witness her Mentor's punishment, and subsequently made a deal with a demon or comparable being to protect herself from Gilgul. Whether or not this was before, during or after she fell in with the Fallen, we don't know for certain, but what we do know is that her Avatar has been greatly changed - cobbled together with some lower order of spirit, it seems, and essentially detaches from miss Carlyle to attack anyone who threatens her... or anyone she's just not courageous enough to torment on her own; she's quite the malicious sadist, tormenting a helpless vampire with candles while in the safety of a cell, and sending her Avatar ahead with a few hired minions to fight, rather than risk her own skin."
He paused for a moment, "Bloody hell, she's possibly the greatest coward I've ever encountered. At any rate, her Avatar knows how wrong it has become, but it's largely unable to do anything except defend miss Carlyle; rather like its mind has been programmed with a prime directive that nothing else can override. It's crude enough that it can be sensed on par with lesser spirits like Chief Morgan's imps, it seems, and the combined parts can be sensed as distinct... was that essentially correct, Adley?"
Warpmind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Anja Rebekka Schultze on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:41 am

Earier:

Colin nodded, "And it would be a message we could send that would not immediately be considered an attack on him, I think - it would hardly be justification to come after us once the poor thing was unstaked and could vouch for who had him staked in the first place..."

"Correct, we would just have rescued the poor Massassa, we would simply not have taken the added risk of unstaking him then and there but rather sent him home, that would not be considered an attack, nor any grounds to increase hostilities with us."
Joakim said and nodded.
"It would be as if some other group rescued one of us and sent him back to his Mentor but did not remove whatever was used to keep his magick in check first. That could not be seen as an attack, the Mentor would still be getting his student back safely."

Later:

Colin shrugged, "It was the chance of success that I was concerned with. The Code of Hermes could be... circumvented, as evidenced by Morningstar's own Mr. Black, but I honestly didn't think it was likely to be a viable option. Had to ask, though, just to get it cleared up."

"The Code can not be circumvented Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said sternly.
"Young Mr Black is an infernalist and not a demon, there is no law that say one can not deal with an infernalist. Now Morningstar is not an Hermetic Chantry. It is like this the Virtual Adept Tradition have no laws against magickal scrying other other Traditionalists I can live near someone who practice scrying in such a way, but I am not allowed to myself scry on another Hermetic."
She explained then she sigh.
"But no trying to bargain with such a creature will not work, not unless you are willing to pay more than Miss Carlyle did and it is always a well...Faustian deal."

He grinned, "Copying a recipe once the dust settles is no bother at all. I quite frequently exchange recipes, in fact - though more rarely those old ones. And honestly, once you've made and sent a pair of earrings in the shape of a Lovecraftian deity, strange does become... subjective, yes."

"Wonderful, like I said I would appreciate it Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said then she smiled.
"I sent a letter once that at the time of sending did not exist but it would manifest by the time it reached the recipient."
She explained then she nodded.
"Ah yes Mr Lovecraft...quite an interesting man."

He smiled thinly, "Yes, but perhaps less often self-imposed ones..."

"Less often yes...but no less severe ehm my good man?"
The old lich muttered and glanced over at you.

He sighed, "Indeed, extremely lucky... I'm still uncertain to whether it was good or bad luck; seems a bit of both extremes, really...

"I am not sure what would be bad luck about you not being without certain vital parts of your spiritual anatomy Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said and raised an eyebrow.
"Thought I guess ending up being attacked in such a way might be seen as bad luck I guess."
She added, both Hans and Joakim looked at bit uneasy at the discussion.

As for miss Warden - the Fallen who, well... I think 'friend' would be an understatement. I believe your relationship with miss Swan would be a closer simile."

"Ah I see...well we better take this woman down then before she figure out who is to blame for Miss Warden's demise, you and Mr Roth Hicks the way I understood it."

He grinned and gestured to the Labyrinth maps, where the Nodes were presumably located, "That Rote of mine, actually - we'll probably bring along a bit of juice, as it were, but the Labyrinth Nodes is where the most power is at. With my proxy, we can draw power out of those Nodes faster and safer than the Fallen can, and use their own power sources against them. If they have any Tass stores left, even better... And deploying their corrupted reserves in battle should save us the trouble of cleaning it up later."

"Well if there is enough Quintessence in those Nodes or in the Labyrinth's Tass stores for us to drain then this might be doable Mr Wainwright."
Crexia said and looked at the maps and nodded.
"Hum...but that we will not know before we get there and can do a proper examination of them, unless you have some intel on how much Quintessence they have and how strong her Nodes are?"

He nodded, "Pretty much as expected, then - so as before, let's try to avoid that consequence..."

Crexia just nodded at that.

He sighed, "Mattea Carlyle was the apprentice of one of the Hermetics involved with the island... You know the deplorable case. She was apparently made witness her Mentor's punishment, and subsequently made a deal with a demon or comparable being to protect herself from Gilgul.

"Hum...yes I remember the case and that one of the sentenced men had a young student...I did not know they made the child watch that is...horrible."
Cita said sadly.
"I see a...horrible act of desperation then..."
She muttered.

Whether or not this was before, during or after she fell in with the Fallen, we don't know for certain, but what we do know is that her Avatar has been greatly changed - cobbled together with some lower order of spirit, it seems, and essentially detaches from miss Carlyle to attack anyone who threatens her... or anyone she's just not courageous enough to torment on her own; she's quite the malicious sadist, tormenting a helpless vampire with candles while in the safety of a cell, and sending her Avatar ahead with a few hired minions to fight, rather than risk her own skin."

"Sometimes such tragedy will create horrors of people, and many become sadistic and cruel from the Fall."
The spirit healer said and frowned.
"So her Avatar is mixed with something else, it can detach and attack on it's own?"
She asked and frowned again.
"I have seen those with manifested Avatars, where the souls can act in the physical world, and some of them will fight for their hosts but they never unleash their full power, as their manifestation are an expression of what the host needs for developing spiritually they are never more powerful than what the host themselves have achieved, what you describe though sounds more like this thing can act completely on it's own..."

He paused for a moment, "Bloody hell, she's possibly the greatest coward I've ever encountered.

Cita sigh and nodded at that.

At any rate, her Avatar knows how wrong it has become, but it's largely unable to do anything except defend miss Carlyle; rather like its mind has been programmed with a prime directive that nothing else can override. It's crude enough that it can be sensed on par with lesser spirits like Chief Morgan's imps, it seems, and the combined parts can be sensed as distinct... was that essentially correct, Adley?"

"I see, I have examined a case where an Umbrood had somehow merged with an Avatar before the birth of the host, that is something different from shards of Umbroods hitting a soul which do happen from time to time."
She said and sat down on the floor and opened her computer.
"Ehm sorry...easier to balance my laptop this way than in a chair."
She said and started typing. Hans gave an interested look at her laptop but did not say anything.
"Did this Avatar communicate with any of you...is it still able to grant Miss Carlyle access to the Quintessence pool and by that magick?"
Cita asked as she looked down on her screen.
"What have been tried when dealing with it?"
Anja Rebekka Schultze
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tane Karyak on Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:49 am

In any case, i hope you can find my number. You can always call. he said with a smile. We'll be in touch. he greeted the master and went out to call the lawyer.

((sorry i haven't posted in a while. I've been a little accupied))
Tane Karyak

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top